Motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor question

Ok, purchased a gs1000g motor and frame only from a friend... Im in the process of rebuilding the top end of the motor, and building a bike... my question is, I pulled the starter out, and noticed in that compartment there is a small hole that seams to go into the motor from under the starter. Its not something that came from damage, looks like its supposed to be there, just want to make sure that it doesnt go into the bottom end, or maybe see if there is supposed to be a plastic piece to go there..... Theres lots of dirt under that starter, and if that whole has been there Im sure lots-o-sand has gone in.

Thanks

I do believe that is the "mystery hole" that you are talking about, and if so, its mearly a drain i do believe. I dont think it goes into the block itself..

Comment

The mystery hole! Now I really feel like the GSR forum is back.

You are correct -- it's just a drain hole that passes through a void in the castings.

These photos should explain things. The blue tubing is just what I stuck in there to illustrate that the holes are related; there's not supposed to be anything in there.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

yup, thats the one... the mistery hole

if you find it "securely plugged" with silicone by the po (like i did) , make sure to clean it free
        GS850GT

Comment

I love the mystery hole!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

lol .......
            GS850GT

Comment

the sole purpose of the "mystery" hole is to keep the starter cavity from filling with water from riding in rain or washing, and to keep it from filling with oil from a bad starter nose O-ring.

from time to time you get post here from people who have oil leaking out from that hole.

Comment

Yup, thats the one!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X