clicking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicking sound

Hey guys, I have an 83 GS1100E. When I let off the gas or give it the gas in first gear, there is a click coming from the clutch area. The clutch works great, and it doesn't have any clutch noises at idle. I think it does it in higher gears, but is very pronounced in first gear. Thanks in advance.

Common problems with the clutch are: hub nut comes loose, back plate gets sloppy at the rivets.

You might want to disassemble the clutch and have a look see at these elements.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

clicking sound

Thanks, I'll check it out

Comment

Any luck?

Any updates, Doog53? I'm having the same problem. BTW, thanks for the info, Nessism. I'll check into those too.
        Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Common problems with the clutch are: hub nut comes loose, back plate gets sloppy at the rivets.

Comment

It's the chain.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            It's the chain.
            What, too loose? Worn out? Missing?

citizenVern
            1980 Suzuki GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by citizenVern View Post
              What, too loose? Worn out? Missing?

citizenVern
              1980 Suzuki GS550L
              Clicking on the sprockets
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

chef1366 is right. happened to me on 2 different suzukis. check the front gear for wear. sounds just like the clutch but its not.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tightened up my chain and that fixed the big noise. It still sounds a little bit clunky when i turn the wheel by hand, and some sections of chain seem like they might be looser than others, plus the chain bounces a little when it turns, so i'm thinking i might need to replace the chain & sprockets soon. Is that a logical assumption?

On a side note, I'm hearing a different, buzzing noise from the crankcase area. I've started a post here if anyone cares to check it out.

Thanks again,
                  citizenVern and his 1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by citizenVern View Post
                    Thanks for the advice everyone. I tightened up my chain and that fixed the big noise. It still sounds a little bit clunky when i turn the wheel by hand, and some sections of chain seem like they might be looser than others, plus the chain bounces a little when it turns, so i'm thinking i might need to replace the chain & sprockets soon. Is that a logical assumption?

On a side note, I'm hearing a different, buzzing noise from the crankcase area. I've started a post here if anyone cares to check it out.

Thanks again,
                    citizenVern and his 1980 GS550L
                    Put the bike on the center stand, and in neutral, turn the back wheel by hand. Slowly at first. You're looking for any spots where the chain catches, or binds. If it does, get new sprockets and chain asap. Sometimes as sprocket teeth wear, they not only hook, but they get long, and also twist a bit. This puts lateral force on the chain and binds and twists it. Its not good for the chain, and at speed and under force, continuing to use that set up will make the chain, and possibly you, not long for this world. If you dont know how long the chain/sprockets have been on there, or if they look visibly bad, get rid of them. I think BWringer said it best on here once: Motorcycles are alot like airplanes. When something breaks, its usually fatal. Or something to that effect. If that chain comes apart at speed, at best its gonna make a heck of a racket and possibly a big mess. At worst, you wont be alive to know.

Comment

Chain & Sprockets, Re-Gearing

Cool. Or not so cool i guess, but i'm glad to find out the easy way for a change. So is a chain & sprocket job something a novice ought to be doing? It doesn't look like rocket science. Easy as falling off a... log. Or something

Looks like Z1 has a 530 chain. Any chain/sprocket shopping tips? Gold-plating and diamonds or just regular. I'm also thinking about putting a 16t sprocket up front (as per this post) to lower my rpms a little. If anyone's got any words of wisdom there, feel free to (try and) enlighten me.

Comment

Chain & Sprocket

Okay, where was i...? Before i left to spend my summer "wintering" in Argentina, i installed a new x-ring chain and "upgraded" to a 16 tooth front sprocket (downgraded according to the torque-freaks). The back sprocket didn't show any signs of wear, so i left it.

I just rode 4 hours to Coos Bay, and i'm very happy. For beginners, the noises are gone, except for a slight buzz coming from the crankcase, port side. That seems to lessen when i wear earplugs. Wierd. The RPM's are down significantly. It says it's around 4600 RPM's at 70, but i'm not sure how (in)accurate the guages are with the new gearing. If the back sprocket is 42 (stock, right?) then 14:42 is 3:1 vs the new 16:42, which is 2.625:1, right? Is that a 12% difference? My knowledge of this "math" business is about as trustworthy as my knowledge of motorsikles.

Anyway... at several hundred RPM's lower than before, it's a much smoother ride, but still a very responsive gs550e. Yes, she can still pop a wheelies. Even better, i averaged 53 MPG on this trip, vs 45ish on my last trip to the same place. That's doing 45 through the valley's, 70+ on the freeway. Quite happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X