'78 GS1000E restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS1000E restoration project

Okay, I'm posting this in case anyone is interested. Will try to keep up to date as much as possible, preferrably with pics.

It's a 1978 GS1000E, red, with a black rear (am not sure if I want to know why it was replaced). Except on both engine guards (upper outer sides scraped) there are no traces of any crashes on the frame, nothing bent or twisted. Bike has a lower handlebar which while it looks very cool and gives a great aggressive position means that the metal gas-cable attachements at the throttle are scraping the tank... will somehow try to protect the tank with something. Unfortunately there was oil leaking through the seals of the top end of the engine.

Bought the bike in April this year in Nederland from a dealer, bike was in poor shape and didn't want to start there (but it did start when we got it home).

The drive up there was awful, traffic jams, autobahn jams (we had to sit in kilometers long lines for hours during the night and that two times), it was damn cold. On the return trip we had one long, very stormy and rainy storm all through Germany and Austria. The drive took 21 hours nonstop...

The bike when we paid for it and loaded it up:

PS: how can I upload more than one picture per post?

EDIT: imagine driving for 21 hours, most of it during the night among all those 40-ton 18-wheelers, while you're in a small Subaru Impreza towing a heavy trailer in the back and on some inclines you can't do more than 90 kmh, while the rigs do over 100 kmh... and they are constantly over-taking you, spraying you with rain so you can't see, your headlights get dirty, and the rain was falling so hard we couldn't see anything (the car's headlights are abysmal) and the steering wheel wasn't calibrated so we had to keep catching the car so it wouldn't swerve all over the road...

The rain was so hard that the water was at least 7 centimeters deep and you could see trails in it when the rigs passed you by.

I wasn't sure we were gonna survive the drive, we nearly didn't when my father (who's turn it was to drive then) fell asleep for a few seconds and nearly crashed us into the wall at the beginning of a tunnel.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM.

Then we left it sitting until end of October (had other things to do), when we started taking it apart. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the process, so I have only one appropriate:

Right now the bike is completely taken apart, taking up several shelves in the garage. The frame is being sanded and painted, will post a pic when we get it back.

For now I have only one more pic and that of the current state of the engine (we're focusing mostly on it). Will be taking it completely apart to reseal it, replacing the cam chain, piston-rings and will completely re-seal the engine, thanks to Louis where we got for only 65 EURO a set of all the seals for the engine.

The electricity is in poor state, since the break light is coming on and off on random and the cables look like they were a victim of an air raid.

Thankfully the bike started well when it was still in one piece, so the rotor and stator are good and I checked, the ignition has been replaced within the last few years cause it looks pretty new (but has to be at least 2 or 3 years old) and is a Dyna S ignition. Was very relieved when I discovered that cause I've heard of the GS's electric system being very unreliable.

Comment

The current state of the engine.

Btw., most of the photos are being taken by my Ericsson W810 camera, thus the poor quality.

Comment

Hi - I'll keep an eye on how you're doing. Always good fun watching how other people get over things.

If you're in there with the cam chain, rather than automatically replace I'd just measure it. Chances are it's in spec - these things last forever - and if so you can save a shilling or 2.

You could also be as lucky with the rings. Again check and see if they're in spec - you won't gain anything by automatically replacing them. (Overall the motors on these bikes are massively over-engineered - they very rarely do the high mileages that they are capable of doing).

The big weakness on the GS electrics is the standard regulator / rectifier set up. They're cheap (and easy) enough to replace with a single unit (Honda part is the way to go) so I'd do that as a matter of course. Consider the Dyna S an upgrade however (sure beats messing with points and capacitors etc). Some of the wiring is pants too - connectors in particular weren't the Jap strong points and it's well worth replacing them all with better ones.

Oh, by the way, which country are you in?

Good luck and have fun.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Hi - I'll keep an eye on how you're doing. Always good fun watching how other people get over things.

If you're in there with the cam chain, rather than automatically replace I'd just measure it. Chances are it's in spec - these things last forever - and if so you can save a shilling or 2.

You could also be as lucky with the rings. Again check and see if they're in spec - you won't gain anything by automatically replacing them. (Overall the motors on these bikes are massively over-engineered - they very rarely do the high mileages that they are capable of doing).

The big weakness on the GS electrics is the standard regulator / rectifier set up. They're cheap (and easy) enough to replace with a single unit (Honda part is the way to go) so I'd do that as a matter of course. Consider the Dyna S an upgrade however (sure beats messing with points and capacitors etc). Some of the wiring is pants too - connectors in particular weren't the Jap strong points and it's well worth replacing them all with better ones.

Oh, by the way, which country are you in?

Good luck and have fun.
          Hey hampshirehog! What are the specs for the chain, how long must it be? The thing is, when the engine was running, there was loud rattling heard from the area of the chain, we are thinking it's too stretched and is jumping on the rod's sprocket. Unfortunately the pistons and the rings worn to there's no avoiding that cost... unless we replace them there won't be any compression and it will also be drinking oil. We also have to replace the cam chain tensioner rail cause it's in a bad way. It's a good thing my father (with whom I together bought the bike as a restoration project) is a mechanic with over 40 years of experience. True, his specialty are big trucks (semis,...), but we've already completely restored a Goldwing 1000 and a Honda CB 250 in the last 2 years, so it won't be that hard to restore this beauty. We already have the Dyna S ignition in, so that's one problem less... From which Honda model can the regulator/rectifier sets be used by? We're gonna be completely rehauling the wiring so it's gonna be like new. EDIT: forgot to answer your last question: I'm from Slovenia, Europe.

Comment

Hi Noobie. A few things. First congratulations on your purchase. I've also got a 1978 GS1000. I just got it running after a complete rebuild. It is a very fun bike. Here's a link to my picture album

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Regarding picture posting. The best thing to do is get a free, web based storage account. I use www.photobucket. Basically you load your pictures on that site, then you link to them on this sight. That way you can post full size pics and more than one.

Last of all, if you decide that you want to sell that luggage rack, let me know. I'm looking for something exactly like that.

Looking forward to your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
              Hi Noobie. A few things. First congratulations on your purchase. I've also got a 1978 GS1000. I just got it running after a complete rebuild. It is a very fun bike. Here's a link to my picture album

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Regarding picture posting. The best thing to do is get a free, web based storage account. I use www.photobucket. Basically you load your pictures on that site, then you link to them on this sight. That way you can post full size pics and more than one.

Last of all, if you decide that you want to sell that luggage rack, let me know. I'm looking for something exactly like that.

Looking forward to your progress.
              Hey, drhach, thanks for your suggestions!

As of yet, there are no plans on selling the luggage rack cause I need it for the BMW side-cases I received with the bike. Besides, I fear it would be too expensive for you, since the shipping and the taxes for entering the US would probably be astronomous (I'm from Europe).

And I have to say I like very much what you did with your GS, that green is a lovely contrast. I hope my bike rides well when we restore it.

This year I've been riding a Goldwing 1000 and a Honda Nighthawk 650 '83. I've gotten quite used to both (especially liking the Nighthawk's acceleration and extremely low fuel econo - a tiny bit more than one gallon per 60 miles), but I'd like something with a good roll-on acceleration, better sitting position (the NH is true suffering, completely upright and completely exposed to the wind... more than 50 mph is a pain) and for that the NH just doesn't have enough displacement.

Besides, the next time I meet that black Ducati Monster 900 at a stop light I wanna smoke him!

And not the other way around. Now, if it was a Monster 600 then I would've smoked him (they take 8 seconds from 0-60)...

Am already looking for Sport Demons and when this bike is finished it's gonna be going off like a rocket. I hope. When I took it for a first, short test ride it scared the crap out of me when in the second gear (or was it the first?) I pulled the throttle just lightly and it was immediately on 40 mph. And I do mean immediately, in just one second or so.... This bike is gonna take a little getting used to...
              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by noobie View Post
                What are the specs for the chain, how long must it be? From which Honda model can the regulator/rectifier sets be used by?
                The cam chain is within spec if the distance measured over 20 links is less than 157.80mm with the chain stretched tight. You can download a manual from Basscliff's website which shows you how to make the measurement.

For the regulator / rectifier I've always just bought a 'Superdream' type (at least that's what I've always called it). Honda have been using pretty much the same thing for years. Loads secondhand, Ebay is full of them, and easy to test with a multimeter - I've never bought a dud one.

If you are going 'Duke hunting' I'd advise modding the suspension as the original set up is likely to be a bit worn by now. GSX1100 alloy box swinging arm is a nice, bolt on mod and makes a world of difference. Better rear shocks are a big win for the money to - I like Konis but that's only a personal preference + they are 'era' correct. (cheap on Ebay.de and as you're in Europe 'proper' no hefty bank charges like us Brits have to pay for money transfers).

On the front end progressive springs help no end - Hagon, Wirth etc all do them for the GS1000. And I'd have a look at the brakes - later slotted dics are an improvement as are the later calipers (again GSX stuff bolts straight on) or you could go for various other systems tried and tested on here (but needing mods).

All pretty cheap and easy to do. The problem you'll end up with though, if you're not careful, is you'll want a big bore kit / high lift cams / Ohlins / bigger carbs etc and end up adding to the world debt
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. My main bike has been a BMW R90. It's a 1976. So, having another bike from the same era has been interesting as a point of comparison. The BMW has it's merits. I would never tell my BMW friends this, but I think the GS is a better bike. It stops better, handles better and is much more powerful. It also shifts way smoother. Not that I'll be getting rid of the BMW, but I didn't expect to like the GS as much as I do. I originally was intending to sell it after I got it running. Now I'm having second thoughts. In fact, it rained yesterday and I found that I was a little depressed because I couldn't ride it.

Make sure you post lots of pictures of your progress. Also, there are some great people on this website. Lot's of good information here. Most people here are really helpful.

Comment

and if so you can save a shilling or 2.
                    hey, hampsiredog, they use euros now... used to have "tolars" before that... and "dinars" before that

jel tako, slovenac?

pozdrav s novog zelanda
                    GS850GT

Comment

Great Pick up

Congratulations on your GS.

I bought a red one just like it new in 1978.

The power was great! I did a little production racing and this model bike won a Six Hour race in Australia in 1979.

Traded the 1978 model in a GS1000G in 1981 and I'm still riding it!

Keep the photos coming
                      Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                      1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                      1977 GS400
                      1974 Montesa 250
                      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Okay, this time I'm posting better fics.

1. Bike all strapped up and ready to go, April 2008, Holland:

2. Start of the journey back, still nice weather, first photo Holland, the next two in Germany:

3. Start of bad weather, near Koln:

4. Ugly weather starting in, Frankfurt Airport, in a traffic jams that spanned for miles on both sides of the Autobahn (people were going home and they really jammed up everything, some brave souls were even commuting on bikes):

5. after 19 hours of driving (and one near-collision head-on collision with a wall at 100kmh that would've killed us) the bike is finally home:

6. after 6 months of not doing anything with the bike (we made the foolish mistake of first trying to restore another, smaller, bike and never expected the sheer amount of work we had with it cause everything mechanical on that one was broken and we had to replace or fix every single part - took a lot of time and money), we finally got to it, and this is what it looks like after 2 days:

7. after another day of work, only the engine still remains to be taken apart:

8. after yet another day of work and current state of it, other parts are stored on shelves and the frame, swingarm and the bridge between forks on which the handlebar is put on, are all being newly painted:

Okay, enough photos, getting back to replying to your great posts.

The cam chain...

For the regulator / rectifier ....

If you are going 'Duke hunting' ...

Thanks, hampshirehog for your fantastic suggestions! Will definitely take a look into them. Well, I'll definitely be going 'Duck hunting' (cause it'll be as easy as shooting ducks in a barrel) next year. The bike will doubtfully be finished this year and even if it will, it'll be too damn cold, for the posers (Ducati owners) and myself.

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        hey, hampsiredog, they use euros now... used to have "tolars" before that... and "dinars" before that

jel tako, slovenac?

pozdrav s novog zelanda
                        Imas pravo, drug Jugosloven! Iz katerega dela bivse Juge si?

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                        Also, there are some great people on this website. Lot's of good information here. Most people here are really helpful.
                        They definitely are, man!
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Btw., I'm thinking of taking down the original blinkers and replace them. Rear ones will be smaller, not mini, but smaller.

In the front I'll remove them and the rear-view mirrors completely, and replace the mirrors with new ones that have LED blinkers already installed.

I have these in mind:

What do you think?
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Have fun with the project. I restored my '79 1000E back in 2000. It was a lot of work. I put $10,000 into her to do a first rate job.
                            Be careful how you tie down a bike. Too much is really bad for the fork seals.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Oh...I didn't read all the posts but a couple of best bang for the buck upgrades is a Dyna S system and an Electrex or similar reg/rec.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X