'78 GS1000E restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noobie View Post
    Imas pravo, drug Jugosloven! Iz katerega dela bivse Juge si?
    jel ja?

dalmatinac, iz splita
    GS850GT

Comment

Short, update. The frame has come back from being sanded and painted with the ground (or is it basic?) paint. In the background you can see the back wheel and stands of the baby of the pack, red '80 Honda CB250N that's the cause why the GS isn't finished - we thought the CB would be finished sooner so we decided to work on it first - big mistake.

Comment

for a moment i thought you were going with the white frame - that would have been interesting!
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          for a moment i thought you were going with the white frame - that would have been interesting!
          I agree, it would definitely be interesting, will have to think about that.

Comment

I agree, it would definitely be interesting, will have to think about that.
            It will look like this (well, it used to be a bit more white than it is now)

Ed

Comment

If anyone is interested, I just put up all of my bikes on Bikepics:

The GS is at the bottom. 3 were bought in Holland (the 650's photo was taken by the prev. owner), 1 in Germany (the 250) and the Yammer here in Slovenia. Btw., all of these bikes, except for the 650 had to be restored...

Comment

You've got PM Noobie.
                Ed

Comment

I always think it is cool to see global Suzi's and to also witness their new found fans restoring them.

I do have to say that you made quite the journey to get bike. Glad you and your mate made it back in one piece.

Comment

S'been a while, much has happened, most of it RL.

The Suzi is almost finished, just a few minor optic details (like finally putting the Suzuki emblem on the tank, buying new rear-view mirrors and get the exhausts back from the chroming), a few technical gremlins (front right rubber brake-line ruptured by the metal end, will buy new one; and adjusting the No.3 carb because the cylinder is barely working - rough and unstable working of the engine) and we can start test-riding the bike. On the topic of brake-lines: are steel-braided ones really that better than rubber ones?

Btw., what kind of foam is used for the seat? The seat is namely too high, impossible to reach the ground with anything but toes, and I want to style my own seat.

Also: is the GS lettering on TOP of the gas tank, by the cap, normal or was it probably after-market solution by a PO? Any ideas?

Hopefully the bike will work as good as it looks.

Pics:

I really like the chromed edge protection for the gas-tank - visible only the lower side, but actually runs all around the tank's edge.

The way it looked before (though the pic doesn't really show the horrible condition in which the bike was):

Will try to find a few older pics to show how the process went.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Also: is the GS lettering on TOP of the gas tank, by the cap, normal or was it probably after-market solution by a PO? Any ideas?
                      Looking great !! your progress has inspired me - will have to get back in to gear on mine.

Mine is exactly the same colour scheme as yours and yes it also has the GS on top of the tank. I was just looking at the tank the other day - thinking about getting it painted and I wondered exactly the same thing as you. I had a bit of a look on the net to see if it was a Suzuki addition but came up blank. It was good to see yours and confirm that it is authentic.
                      Bill Alexander
                      New Zealand
                      78 GS1000 - Red
                      02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Wow, your bike looks beautiful. You have really done an outstanding job. Where can I get the chrome trim on the bottom edge of tank. Mine is rusted there, and it would cover it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                          Looking great !! your progress has inspired me - will have to get back in to gear on mine.
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                          Mine is exactly the same colour scheme as yours and yes it also has the GS on top of the tank. I was just looking at the tank the other day - thinking about getting it painted and I wondered exactly the same thing as you. I had a bit of a look on the net to see if it was a Suzuki addition but came up blank. It was good to see yours and confirm that it is authentic.
                          Yeah, noticed that too. Saw a lot of pics on the net, but no other GS had the letters and the stripes. Does your have stripes on the top of the tail too? Also never read anywhere about them and on the sites that offer the complete decal-set they're not there either. Perhaps only the red bikes have this.

Strange. On the other hand, our bikes look like limited edition

Originally posted by slip View Post
                          Wow, your bike looks beautiful. You have really done an outstanding job. Where can I get the chrome trim on the bottom edge of tank. Mine is rusted there, and it would cover it up.
                          Thanks! Can't take all the credit, since it was a joint project with my father (3rd project now) and he's a mechanic so he knows his stuff and knows the right people to get things done easier, faster and cheaper.

The chrome trim was bought in Louis, a bike shop in Austria. They have it online, it's in different colors:

Hopefully the link worked because sometimes their page is moody and instead of linking you to the product it throws you to the main page.

Not sure if they ship it to the US, though.

Comment

that looks great noobie, well done!

btw, what's the windshield? another product from louis or hein gericke? i envy you guys for the access to those shops in europe. nothing that comprehensive down here
                            GS850GT

Comment

btw, what's the windshield? another product from louis or hein gericke? i envy you guys for the access to those shops in europe. nothing that comprehensive down here
                              Thanks!

You guessed correctly, it's from Louis, a Puig mini-screen. Cost only 19 EURO. They come in dark black, light black (which is the one on the bike), clear and blue.

Haven't seen anything about shipping outside of Europe, but you and slip can mail them and ask them (I'm sure they understand English): order@louis.de

Comment

UPDATE: Website of the shield's manufacturer: http://www.puig.tv/

I also found you a PUIG distributor in Australia (unfortunately there is none in NZ). They're called Road Rocket, 489-491 Victoria St., West Melbourne - Victoria 3003, phone +610393837600, rocket@roadrocket.com.au.

Comment

Working...
                                X