Paint them please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint them please

As a favor/barter for work on another bike, I agreed to paint the tank and side covers for a good friend of mine. He just completed an '81-2-3 ? Honda 750 (which now has the custom worked top end of a 1000 mated to the 750 bottom end) and needed to freshen up the paint scheme. I was given an open option (paint it how you want to) from Arne and threw together this little set-up.

It did help that the tank was clean (no rust) and that it only had a few minor (less than 2") dents on it so the body work was easy. Four coats of primer later and lots of hand sanding it was ready for paint.

Valspar paint with Dupont Chroma Clear (VERY high gloss and HARD) was used and all in all...it came out quite nice. Black base, Brite Silver pin stripe (second layer), and Dark Shadow Gray (third layer).
    Four coats of clear later, I'm not even going to have to buff it.

Have a look:

Excellent work friend!!

Comment

AND some more

Comment

And a side cover...

All in all, it went as planed though the Valspar Bright Silver is VERY touchy to work with. When laying down several layers, things have to be spotless when the next coat is applied and the Final Prep cleaner wanted to smear/fade out the silver. Some remasking and touch up fixed everything but the extra work, I DID NOT NEED!

As always, ignore the date stamp as after I took the very first picture, the batteries went dead and when you replace them, the dumb camera always defaults to 01-01-05. Like the VCR, I just don't care enough to reset it.

Now to get to work on my bike..........................................agai n.
        Last edited by Dave8338; 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Nice Work

We had a thread here a while back about two tone paint jobs and how to deal with the build up at the tape line. Your making it look easy.

How long do you wait between coats to retape?

Are you sanding between coats?

Are you doing anything to reduce build up at the lines.

I assume you are using a sprayer, is it a touch up gone; there doesnt seem to be much overspray.

I'm planning to do a multi color paint job on teh 86 GSXR1100G in my signature and this is very helpful.

Pos

Comment

Excellent work! I really like the paint scheme. No sanding or buffing the clear coat?

Do you have a shot of your paint booth?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              We had a thread here a while back about two tone paint jobs and how to deal with the build up at the tape line. Your making it look easy.

How long do you wait between coats to retape?

Are you sanding between coats?

Are you doing anything to reduce build up at the lines.

I assume you are using a sprayer, is it a touch up gone; there doesnt seem to be much overspray.

I'm planning to do a multi color paint job on teh 86 GSXR1100G in my signature and this is very helpful.

Pos
              Thanks. As far as the build up at the tape lines you have to keep one rule in mind: You can only jump ONE layer of base at a time. Fo example: in this case the black was the first to be sprayed as it was the main tank color. Next I knew that I wanted to have a light silver pinstripe AROUND the dark gray, so it had to be applied as the second layer, taping off EVERYTHING that I wanted to keep black. Next...the silver pinstripe was achieved by using a 1/8" stripe to overlay the outside edge of the silver so that there is a "1-step up" at that point.

Next I split the silver with another 1/8" stripe (using the tape as a width gauge) and added a 1/4" tape (over the silver) to achieve the "1-step up" for the Dark Gray, again...masking off EVERYTHING that was to remain black.
              Lastly, I taped off over the light silver stripes created by the previous process along with the black and shot the Dark Gray base. Keep in mind that the "window" for the base coat is about 4 hours MAX between coats (that varies with different brands) and the tape must be pulled BEFORE the base hardens or it will flake and peel. As far as sanding, none of the base was sanded between coats though the Final Prep cleaner was just "tough enough" to soften the base coats to a point that I knew the next layer would stick.

Clear as mud, right?

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                Excellent work! I really like the paint scheme. No sanding or buffing the clear coat?

Do you have a shot of your paint booth?
                What you see is what you get. I did it in the wood shop. It gives me a reason to "ultra" clean the dust, put away a few things from previous projects, and control room temps to within a few degrees. Nothing fancy.

Comment

Looks pretty good! Nice work!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    What you see is what you get. I did it in the wood shop. It gives me a reason to "ultra" clean the dust, put away a few things from previous projects, and control room temps to within a few degrees. Nothing fancy.
                    Where I live the temperature is the biggest problem. No shed just a garage, so I guess I'm gonna' just hang some plastic sheeting around the area I plan to spray.

Great work again.

Comment

Excellent job and great design. I LIKE IT!
                      I hope you're as pleased with the work you're getting in return.
                      Willie in TN
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                        Excellent job and great design. I LIKE IT!
                        I hope you're as pleased with the work you're getting in return.
                        Willie in TN
                        Thanks, Yeah...his work is very good.

Comment

Looks nice!
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When I get around to painting I plan on doing a booth framed with PVC pipe and covered in plastic. I'll have filtered air coming in using an A/C filter. A box fan will pull air out through an A/C and a charcoal filter placed before the fan.

Comment

Are the pinstripes painted or tape? (nice work)

1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Working...
                              X