GSXR/Katana Upgrades on my 550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR/Katana Upgrades on my 550EF

well gentlemen, I took it all apart today and have it all figured out!

PICTURES TO COME SOON.....first the write-up!

First thing I did was make sure I have the proper sprockets and chain setup.

You can utilize your 550E front sprocket and chain(520) and just purchase a 520 rear sprocket to fit your 88-96 Katana 600 wheel (3.5 inch wheel with a 140/70-17 tire) OR.....you purchase a new 530 front sprocket, rear sprocket, and O-ring chain!

I opted to upgrade to the 530 O-ring chain(112 links) and sprockets 13t on the front and 48t on the rear.

While mocking up the wheel the first thing you'll notice is that there isn't much room for spacers! But this is the critical stage to get the wheel properly spaced, centered, and sprockets in alignment! I have come up with needing a 10mm spacer on the sprocket side.....this spacer ended up being 17x30x10 steel and I purchased it at the local bearing shop here in town for $2.50.

Next I needed the proper Oil Seal for the sprocket side of the hub......this ended up being a 30x62x8 and was purchased for $5.91 at the bearing shop. New 17x42x14 sealed wheel bearings were installed into this wheel also for $45.

I utilized the original spacer between the brake caliper bracket and the wheel on the brake side, but had to grind off about 1/4 inch off the outside of the bracket to fit in between the spacer and the swingarm. I ground a little at a time until it fit. This keeps the caliper mounted in the exact spot it needs to be in on the rotor. I utilized the stock Rotor that came off the Katana 600, and the stock caliper bracket for the GS550E.

Parts I used:

88-96 Katana 600 Rear wheel/drive hub COMPLETE OEM minus the oil seal
    Custom sprocket side spacer 17x30x10
    Custom sprocket side oil seal 30x62x8
    GS550E Axle
    GS550E swingarm
    GS550E Caliper
    GS550E wheel spacer on the brake side
    GS550E Caliper bracket, ground down to fit
    530 13t front sprocket
    530 48t rear sprocket
    530 112link O-ring chain

I'll post pictures tomorrow.....

After searching around OVER and OVER on how to do this I decided to show a list of the EXACT parts needed. I did the hard part with finding the correct sized spacers/parts.....all you need to do is follow these directions. This is a conversion to use the 3.5 inch rear wheel off a Katana 600 in order to put a 140 rear tire on your 83-86 GS550E utilizing mostly OEM parts.....

I have about $150 in chain and sprockets, $180 in my rear wheel and tire, and $55 in the rear wheel bearings/spacer/oil seal. Putting it right at about $385 in this rear conversion!

You can save $50 if you can get a rear wheel WITH the bearings already installed.

You can probably save a little on the tire too, but I decided to go with a 140/70-17 Dunlop D208 Sportmax Radial to match the Qualifier 110/70-17 I'm installing on the front.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul

I've started putting the '88 GSXR 750 slingshot front end together....

89 Katana 600 front wheel/rotors
    90 GSXR750 calipers
    6004rs wheel bearings to fit 20mm axle
    Banke Performance custom wheel spacers..... 20mm x 28mm x .25 inch(2)
    Banke Performance custom inner wheel spacer.. 20 x 28 x 63 mm
    Banke Performance custom riser spacers for the bars
    Cafe Clubman bars
    95 GSXR600 speedo drive/cable
    2008 GSXR600 clutch lever assy
    2008 GSXR600 master cylinder/lever assy
    NEW Maier 88-90 GSXR750 front fender

I had to ream out the inner hole of the Katana wheel as there is a lip on the speedo drive side that holds the 15mm Katana axle spacer between the bearings.....I reamed it out to 21mm so that my custom Banke spacer would slide through.

I installed the 6004rs bearings that were 20 x 42 x 13 mm.....install the hub side first, slide in the inner wheel/bearing spacer, then install the remaining wheel bearing.

I had to grind the outter lip off the GSXR600 speedo drive to fit the Katana wheel.....but it spins the drive properly now and with the addition of the Banke wheel spacers to make up for the 3.00 Katana wheel it works as designed with the exception of the speedo drive stop on the fork....I am going to install a piece of steel that will extend to the drive to keep it from spinning with the wheel. The cable holds it in place enough to work that I won't need much to hold it.

I will have more on the custom spacer/bracket I need to mount the Katana calipers to the GSXR forks......this will be completed this coming weekend.

Pics to follow of the front end without the rotors/calipers in place....

Stay tuned for more to come.......

I had to use .25 inch spacers for the calipers to mount to the forks in order to make up for the skinner Katana wheel........everything lines up and works PERFECTLY!!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Comment

Thanks to my daughter for holding the front end for me while I took the pictures......

Comment

Comment

BEFORE Shots.....what I started with!!

Comment

soon to come.......

Auto Meter GM style fuel gauge
              '72 Suzuki T500 Clocks
              Kerker Header with 95 GSXR750 exhaust can
              2005 GSXR600 rear passenger pegs/holders
              custom GS550EF rear sets
              GSXR rear master cylinder/caliper
              99 GSXR750 rear shock mounted upside down
              ZX9 Rear Tail light with blue cat's eyes
              Custom rear fender eliminator
              Custom swingarm bracing with 2005 GSXR1000 rear hugger
              custom late model GSXR NON-keyed gas cap
              dual headlight setup in my 550EF upper fairing

stay tuned...........

Comment

Looking good. I'm interested to see your plan with the non locking gas cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                  Thanks to my daughter for holding the front end for me while I took the pictures......
                  We all were hoping those were not your shoes

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                    Looking good. I'm interested to see your plan with the non locking gas cap.
                    Here is what I'm putting in my tank.......

Comment

I will have the tank empty and air dried.....

then will tape under side of existing hole....

place assembly into the hole and mark where the 4 bolts will go, then drill and tap....

only thing left is to cut the existing filler neck out to make room for the new assy...... cutting will be done with a high speed jigsaw and fine tooth blade....

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                        I will have the tank empty and air dried.....

then will tape under side of existing hole....

place assembly into the hole and mark where the 4 bolts will go, then drill and tap....

only thing left is to cut the existing filler neck out to make room for the new assy...... cutting will be done with a high speed jigsaw and fine tooth blade....
                        You're going to have to weld the 'hole' from a late model tank in to your tank to accept that cap with the 4 bolts, aren't you?

Comment

just wait and see what I come up with on the tank!!

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                            You're going to have to weld the 'hole' from a late model tank in to your tank to accept that cap with the 4 bolts, aren't you?
                            From the pic I would say he would, unless he wanted to cut the mounting hole for it in the tank and weld tabs inside the tank to bolt it to

Comment

GSXR600 Passenger Pegs/Hangers

I spent 2 hours this afternoon and was able to complete this job.....

I spent $40 on the rear pegs/hangers shipped off of ebay from a 2005? GSXR600

I removed the side covers, grab bar, and rear seat/tail light cowling. These hangers will bolt almost perfectly in the place of the forward grab handle bolt hole and the forward tail section bolt hole! I had to trim my tail section plastic and had to ream out the forward hole on the rear hangers.....I used all existing hardware! I trimmed the rear tail to make room for the hangers to go through the plastic....I'll get close-ups when I get my new camera in a few weeks....

here are some pictures with the GSXR750 rear muffler mocked up too!

Comment

Working...
                              X