Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78 GS1000E Up and running, Almost ready for paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS1000E Up and running, Almost ready for paint.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have gotten a real good start on my bike because of this site and helpful members. It finally runs as it should. There is still a lot of work to go. Brakes and master cylinders have been rebuilt, brake lines replaced with Russel street legal lines and fittings, switching to dot 5 brake fluid. EBC pads in front and Ferodo pads in the rear. All cables including speedometer and tach. have been replaced. Coils, wires, plugs and boots, were replaced, and a Dyna S ignition installed. New Metzler tires. The front fork seals have been replaced and Progressive springs installed. Front lowers polished. I replaced the tank with a NOS '80 tank and petcock (not in love with the petcock, but it works). The bike had a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust and I got K & N pods. I had tried my hand at rebuilding the Carbs with the help of a Harley mechanic friend of mine. I think the old tank played a good part in ruining that job, so I had a set built for me by WiredGeorge. I can hear the comments now, but he did a superb job. On our long ride today, with two new Harleys and my '78 GS1000E, the GS turned in 52.30 miles per gallon. The ride started out with my buddies trying to prove they could lose a GS. That didn't happen (Thank you Wired George!), so this was by no means an economy run. They gave up soon when they learned it was going to be the other way around if they didn't let off. One observation on the Progressive springs and air pressure. there was a little bit of rapid bounce from the front tire that was really irritating. At first I thought it was a poor balancing job, but 5 lbs. pressure in the forks smoothed it right out without any feeling of stiffening up the front end. I would definitely say that no air is wrong, and these front ends were designed to work with some air assist. Thanks again for the help, I'm sure this is just the beginning of my questions. I need to figure out a paint scheme next. I was thinking deep burgundy, but I'm becoming fond of the silver tank and black side covers and rear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

How about some pics.? terrylee

Comment

Dark red metallic was one of the colors in 78 for the wire wheel bikes
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Every fork has air springs. There is always less air volume in the fork when the fork is compressed, which compresses the air even if the static pressure is zero. Raise or lower your fork oil level a little, and you will change the rate that the air pressure rises in your (any) fork. I tend to like a little higher than stock oil level in the fork.

My '78 also has an '80 tank and so-called petcock.

It is surprizing that your riding buddies expected to have performance over your bike in any area. Some of those riders seem to live in a bubble where they all believe the same improbable thing.
        Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling so bad even I eventually noticed it.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          On our long ride today, with two new Harleys and my '78 GS1000E, the GS turned in 52.30 miles per gallon. The ride started out with my buddies trying to prove they could lose a GS. That didn't happen (Thank you Wired George!), so this was by no means an economy run. They gave up soon when they learned it was going to be the other way around if they didn't let off.
          Why are they all so clueless?
          Every Jap bike over 250ccs for the last forty years has been faster, you'd think they would know this by now.
          Oh, well. entertainment for us.
          Congrats.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here are a few quick pictures before I head out to work. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
            Last edited by OldVet66; 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Man, I thought I was getting my bike to look good, but I have a long way to go! Now I have to polish my forks! terrylee

Comment

The polishing is really easy. Start with 230 grit sandpaper for deep scratches casting marks and casting imperfections. switch to 320, 400, 600 and then Brasso. At this point they will almost be finished. A good run through a polishing wheel that has only been used with compound for soft metals, and there you have it. You can use a drill motor clamped down to a bench. I got two Ryobi polishing wheels and the compound for soft metals, and plastics in the tools section of Home Depot. I spent less than an hour on my Plexifairing that hit the gravel when my front brakes locked coming off the roadway to my driveway. Used 320, 400, 600, and the plastic compound on the wheel. You can't tell it was ever damaged. I learned a lot about the master cylinder after that one.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Why are they all so clueless?
                  Every Jap bike over 250ccs for the last forty years has been faster, you'd think they would know this by now.
                  Oh, well. entertainment for us.
                  Congrats.
                  Thats not really true. In the early 70's a Sportster was as quick as most Japanese 750's. I've got some data in my "Albums". Giant killers like RD350's, which didn't come out until 1973 anyway, were only mid 14 second bikes. Sportsters were low to mid 13 second.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How do you ever get out of the house in the morning with all those bikes to choose from, or do you just do a daily rotation?

Comment

I know the harley guys like to point out every thing they think is better than a rice burner, they better just stick with the made in usa theme,My buddy who just got his first harley talks about milage he get with fuel injection and his big 1600 cc motor blah blah blah can not for the life of me to get him to run the 28 year old rice burner??? and old vet the bike looks great

Comment

Thanks ramrod. It has a long way to go, but it's a good start. The motor was not well maintained when I got it. It was full of sludge. I've been cleaning it up as well as I can without tearing it down at this point. I have a crated stock motor that was supposedly built and balanced for a Bonneville Salt Flats run, that I will be checking out shortly. If it is anything close to what it is supposed to be, it will be going on this bike. Considering this motor is turning out 52 MPG with bolt on carburetors from George wiredgeorge Lesho, the crated motor should be really nice if it's anything close to what it is supposed to be. I really should adjust the valves on this motor very soon, like maybe this weekend. One of my Harley buddies has a full factory set of shims, plus four GS's in his basement under various stages of construction at the moment, so I have very little excuse not to.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                          How do you ever get out of the house in the morning with all those bikes to choose from, or do you just do a daily rotation?
                          The funny thing is, his bikes are in 3 states and he's in a 4th.
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

52 MPG with pods/pipe? Must have been going slow for the most part and zero stops/elevation.
                            Most likely riding on the jet needle on most trips. 52 MPG would suggest she's lean. Something closer to 42 would be about right.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

No, the carbs were built to be a little on the rich side. Last night when I filled up I got a little over 50 MPG. I have been commuting to work, mostly freeway riding with a mix of stop and go in town. I have been launching off the ramps onto the highway. I don't drive particularly slow, but besides the ramps that are close to red line through the gears I'm usually riding mid range.

Comment

Working...
                              X