Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78 GS1000E Up and running, Almost ready for paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    Thanks for the offer Keith. I think I'll try this myself. I'll need the experience. My friend has four of these bikes in his basement, and I have another one to bring along eventually. If you would be so kind as to list which tools and gauges I'll need for this work, I would appreciate it. I have access to a manometer, but I would rather get my own tools. I briefly contacted George and he insists that what I described couldn't have happened, so I see where this is going. He just lost 5 rebuild jobs. I'll be ordering the Stage 3 kit soon and post back for the initial setup, so the carbs will be ready to begin adjustment when I get the new motor ready. Are all valve seal replacements ok, or should I be ordering OEM?
    I can't really say if the OEM (genuine Suzuki) valve seals are better than some others but I'd go with genuine Suzuki.
    As for tools, basic tools are needed such as screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. GOOD FITTING tools is what matters. If the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt as they should be then you shouldn't have much trouble with 30 year old stuck hardware. Much of the hardware and jetting parts require torquing in inches so be aware of how much you tighten things. I don't need an inches torque wrench because I seem to have the feel but if you tend to over do things you may want to use one. The manifold bolts (if stock-Phillips) usually need a good whack with an impact screwdriver and a good fitting bit (can be tricky for some). Float heigth should be checked with verniers or similar.
    I use a mercury vacuum tool by Motion Pro I bought years ago. I'm used to it but the Morgan carb tune is better because it doesn't use mercury. You don't have to be concerned about the mercury spilling/getting sucked up and the best advantage of the Morgan is there's no condensation to get mixed in with the mercury and complicate adjusting your vacuum levels. If the synch takes too long and heat builds up, the mercury tool will draw in condensation. I no longer have much trouble with it but it can frustrate others. The Morgan is at least twice the price (about $110?) but is an easier to use tool.
    As for fuel feed while synching, some buy or make a remote, vented reservoir that hangs on the bars but I simply set the tank (taped down if you wish) on my workmate and use extended fuel/vacuum lines. A couple of good box fans is needed to avoid over-heating if the synch goes on longer than planned. If you get too hot, let her cool down and try again.
    I suggest getting the factory manual.
    DJ stage 3 jet kit, good choice.
    I'm not surprised about George's reaction. He knows much less about this stuff than he would admit. BS'er.
    Keep in mind the bike must be in good tune before jetting so you know any issues are truly jetting related. Valve clearances, ignition timing, good voltage and clean connections everywhere (coils/plug caps/battery), proper NGK B8ES plugs, properly oiled K&N's, etc.
    Let us know when you need help.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Motion Pro has a sync tool that does not use mercury for $84.00 at Z1. Any opinions on that one? Whatever I get has to be good, I've wasted too much on this project through ignorance already.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Motion Pro has a sync tool that does not use mercury for $84.00 at Z1. Any opinions on that one? Whatever I get has to be good, I've wasted too much on this project through ignorance already.

Spend just a few more bucks and get a Carbtune and never regret it. There is nothing more accurate or easier to use.

$100.00 with the pouch.

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

what does everyone think about colortune, the see through spark plug to set mixture, thinking about getting one but some think its a pain and can do high idle trick just as good

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
            what does everyone think about colortune, the see through spark plug to set mixture, thinking about getting one but some think its a pain and can do high idle trick just as good
            In my personal experience, I think it works pretty well on CV carbs, but not as good on VM's with the side air screw and the pilot screw. Just my 2 cents. It will certainly at least get you close, but for me there is nothing better than some plug chops.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thanks for reply,My carbs need some help, runs good but not right on the money

Comment

Who makes the exhaust on your '78?
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Who makes the exhaust on your '78?
                  It's a Jardine. I bought it because I have never seen one like it. Sounds real good, too!
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

What model number would one ask for to get one?

Comment

Mine is the only one of it's kind that I have ever seen. I searched a few years ago for another one with no luck. Jardine used to list a black pipe with aluminum canister, but those are now gone, too.

I think the only 4-1's for the GS1000 that you can get new today are V&H, Mac, and Harris as far as I know.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Here's a listing for a Harris:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I like yours better.

Comment

This winter has been a real PITA. I just got around to ordering my stage 3 jet kit and gaskets for my rebuild of George's rebuild (if you can call it that). I need to get the initial settings for the carburetors ('78 GS1000E, Vance Hines 4 into 1 pipes and K&N Pods). I think I have another carburetor that I can get the idle jets out of. At any rate, I'll have a lot of questions. I'll be able to check out the motor replacement soon, the old one won't start anymore. I think George's super lean build ruined that motor, but that's for another day after I get back on the road with the new motor.

Comment

I think I have another carburetor that I can get the idle jets out of.
                              AWWW crap! I was supposed to send you some pilot jets. I totally forgot, but found your address in my PM box. I'll send them out today.

Sorry about that!!

Do a search...use the advice and settings of KeithKrause. He knows the VM carbs better than anyone.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

The adjustments are most likely buried somewhere in this thread, now that I think about it. I'll have to re-read everything. I had forgotten about the idle jets, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X