No announcement yet.

I lost a nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a little hard to judge from a photo but I think it looked better with the 1 mark above the cam cover surface. Rotating the cams back counter clockwise would allow your 3 mark to be on a tooth touching the cam chain.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I couldn't see the mark in the second pic. I thought it was perfect in the first pic.
      I didn't realize he changed it.
      If the arrow is pointing down at all it is wrong.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        It's a little hard to judge from a photo but I think it looked better with the 1 mark above the cam cover surface. Rotating the cams back counter clockwise would allow your 3 mark to be on a tooth touching the cam chain.
        I agree, the exhaust cam was where you needed it to be before you moved it. In the last pic, it looks like you're off by a tooth. you need to rotate the cams one tooth counter-clockwise

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

This is where she sits now. I plan on moving the sprocket one tooth clockwise so that # 2 aligns with my red mark on the chain and #1 will be just below the surface of the head.

cg
        this was right, before you moved it.... line up the timing marks, set the exhaust cam to where it was in this pic, then count the pins to set your intake cam... should be spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by sam78gs750 View Post
          I agree, the exhaust cam was where you needed it to be before you moved it. In the last pic, it looks like you're off by a tooth. you need to rotate the cams one tooth counter-clockwise

this was right, before you moved it.... line up the timing marks, set the exhaust cam to where it was in this pic, then count the pins to set your intake cam... should be spot on.
          Thanks guys for your coments, because these thoughts are mine as well. The final way I set the cam timing "best" fit the discription in the manual, aside from #1 being 4mm below ( as apposed to1-2mm) surface of cam cover and #3 mark not really engaging the cam chain. The first photo (the one with red marks) the #1 mark is 3mm above cam cover surface, which is contrary to manual. I really didn't like the way the 18th pin was not engaging position #3.

My test ride was somewhat lacking but I attributed it to me being sick. I'm going to pull it apart again today and reset it as I had it initally and give it a ride.

This engine seems to be pretty forgiving to misalignment of timing. Thanks again!

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I switched the cam timing back to the first position I posted and I'm confident that the bike has the same power prior to losing the nut off the cam chain tensioner. I can pop wheelies again. Thanks all for sujesting I reset it!

Charlie G
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well done Charlie, glad you got it figured out.
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
                Well done Charlie, glad you got it figured out.

"...with a little help from my friends"

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

hello, I had two broken bolts removed by a mechanic from my cylinder head and 1 of the threads seems to be damaged, weak. I don't have the nerve to fasten the cam shatf retainer bolt to the required 8Nm torqe... So I'd like to know your opinion if some loctite will hold it or I'll have to get it redone what I really do not want. (I don't want to disassemble the whole stuff again) I can apply about 2Nm on it without problem and with the metal dowel in it holds the retainer cap firmly so I'd need to prevent it from coming loose. Loctite red? Blue? Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by hzoltaan View Post
                    hello, I had two broken bolts removed by a mechanic from my cylinder head and 1 of the threads seems to be damaged, weak. I don't have the nerve to fasten the cam shatf retainer bolt to the required 8Nm torqe... So I'd like to know your opinion if some loctite will hold it or I'll have to get it redone what I really do not want. (I don't want to disassemble the whole stuff again) I can apply about 2Nm on it without problem and with the metal dowel in it holds the retainer cap firmly so I'd need to prevent it from coming loose. Loctite red? Blue? Thanks a lot!
                    I need to preface my comments by saying that I'm not qualified to really address your problem witha reliable solution. That said....failure of the bolts that hold the cam caps on, can lead to the cams coming loose and causing quite a bit of damage to your head and pistons, or so I read in my manual. I would seek to repair the threads in question, so you could bring the torque up to spec.

I have a simular problem on my oil filter cover. There are three studs bolding the cover on. One, I can't bring to the required torque. If it fails I have two remaining bolts holding the cover on. I assume it will leak a bit and give me warning that it need attention now and most likely won't lead to engine failure. It's a gamble, but I don't think it is as big as the one you might take, by not fixing the problem.

You should post this problem in a valve or engine section and with luck, several of the more experienced folks will reply with a solution you can do yourself with reliable results. Good luck and be sure to state what bike you have and maybe where you are located, someone maybe close by willing to help.

Charlie G
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

I'm not sure either... If this solution does not work I'll have to drill it a bit deaper and drill a new thread... and to do it properly I'd need to remove the cyl head again. I've been struggling with this head for months now thanks to lousy mechanics who made me frmly beleive that it's better I do everything myself. :/
                      About the location: I'm in Poland... makes it difficult as I do not speak the language.

Comment

Are you able to get a product called Helicoil in Poland? It is used to install what lookes like a new set of threads in the stripped hole... do a search on this site and you will find lots of info and opinions...
                        Curt
                        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

yeah it is avilable here. (well everything is avilable you just wait for it... ebay. ) the mechanic who fixed the head first place he used 3 helicoil here and there. Hopefully my drill fits there, so I could work on it leaving the head on it's place. Will see maybe today.

Comment

Working...
                          X