No announcement yet.

I lost a nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Charlie, been waiting for an update on this thread. Did you get it figured out?
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I've been in bed sick for a few days coughing my arse off. Now my back's out.

I decided I had to pull the cams, as I couldn't get enough slack in the chain, even with the tensioner off. I'm planing on posting some pictures when I'm up and at it again. I had it set once but the mark was lower than the manual stated. I moved it one tooth and it's too high. Now just have to heal up to reset it again. Thanks for checking in.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

This is the position which I decided must be right. If anyone has a different opinion, please speak up!
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

This is where she sits now. I plan on moving the sprocket one tooth clockwise so that # 2 aligns with my red mark on the chain and #1 will be just below the surface of the head.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Comment

That's perfect. Count the links to #3 and put the cam chain tensioner on.
            Hold the chain on the intake sprocket when releasing the tensioner to keep it from jumping.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef. It's nice to know someone agrees.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Following this to make sure I understand how to do it when my time comes. Seems right to me from what I've read about it but listen to the more experienced among us like Chef and Nessism.

Keep the pictures coming though Charlie.
                It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL
                '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Hard to believe people still have those things on their bikes still.
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I thought the same thing Jay! Some just don't know they are available I guess. I also know some DO know about them but aren't smart enough to chose the better part! Ray.

Comment

" and now a word from our sponsor..." O.K gentelmen,..... I plead ignorance. Why should I change my cam chain tensioner to an APE manual one?

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        " and now a word from our sponsor..." O.K gentelmen,..... I plead ignorance. Why should I change my cam chain tensioner to an APE manual one?

cg
                        This thread...............
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I've got the cam sprockets set with # 1 just below head surface and the proper number (18 pins for a gs450) of pins between #2 & #3. The origional cam chain tensioner is installed. have to clean the old gaskets off the covers, install new ones along the tank and such.

Seriously, why the manual cam chain tensioner? I haven't read anything about the stock ones being prone to failure. I read that they tend to leak, but are easy to fix. Assuming the mechanic installs it correctly and checks that all nuts and bolts are tight (locktite?) they work,...don't they?

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

They're fine for you. You ride mellow and aren't running 130+ HP.
                            The problem with these stock tensioners are during hard accel and a sudden closing of the throttle can cause a short time of slack in the cam chain and bend valves.

Comment

I got it put back together this afternoon and took it for a 3 mile ride. It's seems to run fine now. I may have gotten lucky. Thanks for the coments all.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                                I got it put back together this afternoon and took it for a 3 mile ride. It's seems to run fine now. I may have gotten lucky. Thanks for the coments all.

cg
                                Good to hear Charlie!

Comment

Working...
                                X