Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    I only see 4 wires

Three for the stator one for positive is it grounded through the rectifier housing?

I wonder what that peak temperature drop would mean for an extended oil chang interval.
    That is the right part but the picture is not of the actual unit. It is a 5 wire unit and yes the ground is actually a case ground as would be expected.

Not sure about oil interval but engine will be much happier with a 30 degree drop in oil temp. And stator temp will drop by 100-200 (depending) degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      So whatever happened to your quote?

That is a measured value and supports the temp reduction numbers I got. I'm probably 30-40 degree between the oil sprayer and the SERIES R/R .
      While Bills 1230 with oversize cooler and 150-152 mains (mine is off a GS550 with 145 mains) got as high as 310, mine only got to about 220-230 deg riding side by side. Over the entire trip I would barely get to 210 degree indicated and that hot spell was one time climbing a 20% grade at 10-25 mph in one lane constructon traffic at 6000 ft .
      How about setting up a proper test? Run your fancy new R/R over a known road course at a specified rpm/speed and take some data. Now switch out the R/R and run the course again at the same rpm/speed – in the same ambient temperature. Do this and you will have comparable data to judge temp reduction.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        How about setting up a proper test? Run your fancy new R/R over a known road course at a specified rpm/speed and take some data. Now switch out the R/R and run the course again at the same rpm/speed – in the same ambient temperature.
        Let's see now Ed, I had about 3000 miles on a stock 1074 engine, which included about a 2000 mile trip to Reno in the summer of 2008.

Then I have about 4000 miles on a 1166 kit which included a trip to OR via Mt Shasta in 2009.

An then I just got back from a 1700 mile trip to Reno again of about 2000 mile on the 1166 with sprayer and SERIES R/R.

Now can't overlay temp data, but I know that based on the same OE temp guage and same OE temp sensor that the latest configuration is cooler under all conditions (that means up to 105 degrees) than even the 1074 on the cool 70 degF coast.

Do this and you will have comparable data to judge temp reduction.
        Well perhaps but that is certainly not required to make an assesment on temperature reduction.

Comment

How about setting up a proper test? Run your fancy new R/R over a known road course at a specified rpm/speed and take some data. Now switch out the R/R and run the course again at the same rpm/speed – in the same ambient temperature. Do this and you will have comparable data to judge temp reduction.
          You know Ed, I'm sensing some real hostility here. Since you are obviously being irrational I'm going to let it go.

Comment

Ed, think of it this way. What do you think putting a 250 watt sump heater would do to your oil temp? Posplayr do know if thing is a PWM design? Dan
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
              Ed, think of it this way. What do you think putting a 250 watt sump heater would do to your oil temp? Posplayr do know if thing is a PWM design? Dan
              I don’t have schematics but have surmised that it is not classic PWM control. It seems to operate similar to a FET based design (synchronous with the 3 phase AC) but does not short the winding instead opens the stator winding.

From the output voltage reading (14+ volts at 2K rpm)you can tell that they have eliminated the diode bridge losses by doing Synchronous Rectification (SR) coupled with the SERIES control. This provides a significant reduction in power dissipation improvement in the R/R above and beyond the savings in the stator.

I have a comparison (FET SHUNT based to SERIES compare) of the stator winding voltage and current plots in the attached.

http://www.posplayr.100megsfree3.com/FH012AA_Charging/RR_Tutorial.pdf

Andwhat is worse is the elevated temp the stators running at at higher RPM's
              Last edited by posplayr; 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

The GS electrical system consumes a good deal of the power produced by the stator, it's only the extra power than needs to be managed in some way - way less than 250 W. I can believe that this new style R/R reduces temps somewhat but I'm very suspicious that it would be worth 30 F, and I certainly don't believe it accounts for the difference between Chef's bike at 310F and Jim's at 220F.

Running a back to back test, on the same bike, on the same day, would take less than one hour. I'll even do it on my bike if someone will send me one of these fancy R/R's. I'd love to eat crow on this, and I'll be ordering one the very next day if what you guys say can be verified.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The GS electrical system consumes a good deal of the power produced by the stator, it's only the extra power than needs to be managed in some way - way less than 250 W. I can believe that this new style R/R reduces temps somewhat but I'm very suspicious that it would be worth 30 F, and I certainly don't believe it accounts for the difference between Chef's bike at 310F and Jim's at 220F.

Running a back to back test, on the same bike, on the same day, would take less than one hour. I'll even do it on my bike if someone will send me one of these fancy R/R's. I'd love to eat crow on this, and I'll be ordering one the very next day if what you guys say can be verified.
                  Ed,
                  I probably gave the wrong impression in comparing Bill and my bike's temperatures at low speed. That is not where you would judge the effectiveness of the mods. It was simply to indicate a situation where Bill was verging on thermal runaway and I was still at a comfortable 230 ish MAX. As a general rule my bike NOW never exceeds 210 degF and is usually always below unless perhaps at 105 degF pulling a hard hill climb in 4th gear at 5K-6K RPM

For an apples to apples comparision on the same bike I think I have a miniumum 30 degree C lower oil temp and maybe as much as 40 Deg. However bear in mine I got that doing two mods. A Stator Sprayer and an SERIES R/R.

Wheatdog is reporting here very similar INDEPENDENT results in the 30 degree range which are based solely on the R/R mod alone.

Both are 83 1100E's although I dont know if he is running a big block or not.

A smaller bike might not see as much temperatrue improvement, but it will save the stator just a well on big or small bikes that are reved hard.

Jim
                  Last edited by posplayr; 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The GS electrical system consumes a good deal of the power produced by the stator, it's only the extra power than needs to be managed in some way - way less than 250 W..
                    I reported on these measurements. It is about 14 amps at 14.5 volts (about 205 W delivered from R/R). Above and beyond that the SHUNT R/R causes 250 more watts to be disappated in the stator alone. There is another 20-30 watts in the R/R depending on what style (OE, Honda or FET) we are talking about.

Did you see the results/scope plots posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                      Does the series reg run reasonably cool? If yes it must be a pwm design. Dan
                      Runs very cool because there is no Diode Bridge; uses Synchronous Rectification (SR) and doesn't have to drop power associated with the extra 10 amps of current when the stator is in SHUNT mode.

Comment

My 1100 has the 1168 kit on it . I took my engine temp measurements according to a ten mile run I make at about 75mph on I-12 outside my home town. Stock RR, 200-210. Compufire, 170-180 deg F. Same 95 deg amibient temps. Incredible improvement. Just looking at the surface area of the stator, with the stock RR it must produce some serious heat!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by wheatdog View Post
                          My 1100 has the 1168 kit on it . I took my engine temp measurements according to a ten mile run I make at about 75mph on I-12 outside my home town. Stock RR, 200-210. Compufire, 170-180 deg F. Same 95 deg amibient temps. Incredible improvement. Just looking at the surface area of the stator, with the stock RR it must produce some serious heat!

Mike
                          There is still a mysterious increased operating temp we have here on the left coast. I'm imagining it is the high heat coupled with low humidity which accounts for a comparable temp difference of about another 20-30 degreesF.

This is just conjecture because I spoke to one of my officemates who has a Phd in ME/Heat Transfer and he could not offer a definative explaination on the effects of humidity on MC cooling.

Anyway glad it worked out with positive results.

Comment

Funny you should mention the humidity, Jim...all this conversation is way outside/above any knowledge I have, but I'll tell you that here in SC, the summer humidity is never below 50%, and usually much much higher. My 82 EZ is stock config as far as the engine goes, but an oil cooler was on the bike when I bought it (no thermostat for the cooler). I have never seen the bike get more than halfway between 160* & 210* marks on the oil temp gauge while at any constant speed above a crawl. At an indicated 75mph, same thing. It creeps up while sitting in traffic, but I always cut it off if I sit too long.

I am leaning toward a new (smaller) cooler with a thermostat, and the Series R/R as I begin to put the bike back together. I really appreciate being to reap the benefits of all you intelligent people around here!
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                              Funny you should mention the humidity, Jim...all this conversation is way outside/above any knowledge I have, but I'll tell you that here in SC, the summer humidity is never below 50%, and usually much much higher. My 82 EZ is stock config as far as the engine goes, but an oil cooler was on the bike when I bought it (no thermostat for the cooler). I have never seen the bike get more than halfway between 160* & 210* marks on the oil temp gauge while at any constant speed above a crawl. At an indicated 75mph, same thing. It creeps up while sitting in traffic, but I always cut it off if I sit too long.

I am leaning toward a new (smaller) cooler with a thermostat, and the Series R/R as I begin to put the bike back together. I really appreciate being to reap the benefits of all you intelligent people around here!
                              Mike,
                              I used to work in the summer in Southern Ark during college so I know of the heat/humidity . I'm guessing with a SERIES R/R you would not even need a cooler if those are your current temp ranges.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X