GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool

If you look carefully at the last picture, you can see a piece of tape holding the two halves together, running forwards and back. The line of the lip actually follows the angled seat gussett tubes, and not the horizontal tubing. It makes the seat flow better than flattening it out. Anybody else want to weigh in?

Comment

Aaaaah now that's a definite improvement!

I can't remember where right now but I have definitely seen thin strip LED brake/tail lights that would sit nicely attached along the bottom of that cowling... just not sure of the width.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Aaaaah now that's a definite improvement!

I can't remember where right now but I have definitely seen thin strip LED brake/tail lights that would sit nicely attached along the bottom of that cowling... just not sure of the width.
        You mean these?

Or these?

Really liking how that rear end is shaping up. But the drum brake is a bit off. Got any plans for that?

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
          If you look carefully at the last picture, you can see a piece of tape holding the two halves together, running forwards and back. The line of the lip actually follows the angled seat gussett tubes, and not the horizontal tubing. It makes the seat flow better than flattening it out. Anybody else want to weigh in?

The lip following the angled gusset tube was what I was trying to refer to. I like it better this way. It gives the eye a line to follow. I saw the white tape but wasn't sure if it was a stock decal. I like this direction.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

much better. You can visualize two lines connecting the seat to the subframe and a top curve reaching the tank. Definitely flows better with the bike's angles

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              I think the ones I saw were on an Aussie site I stumbled across, but can't seem to find them now, oh well.

I reckon the drum's still cool though... I think it has to stay for old school looks personally... then again this ain't my build
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Drum

Drum brake stays put. I don't plan on doing any power slides just yet, and I like the wheels. I ended up selling the Katana wheels because they just looked wrong for the direction I wanted to go. The snowflakes are pretty sweet. Anyone know if they came in a disk version?

Thanks for the compliments,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
                  Drum brake stays put. I don't plan on doing any power slides just yet, and I like the wheels. I ended up selling the Katana wheels because they just looked wrong for the direction I wanted to go. The snowflakes are pretty sweet. Anyone know if they came in a disk version?
                  Check out the wheel in this thread.

It's from an early 80's katana, star pattern, and disk brake. I bet it would fit pretty easily

Comment

I like the direction this bike is going.

Comment

Macguyver comes to mid with the LED whiz. It seems like everything on his build lights up...

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

It would be sweet to integrate the tail light in the middle of the cowl. Since its already cut in half it shouldn't take that much effort to put something in there. And add some super small mini stalk turn signals sticking out the side would look pretty sharp I think.

I know its not the same aesthetic your build but I think you could tastefully borrow some ideas from Aprilia...

Comment

Mmmm

Aprillia looks pretty good! I had a similar idea when I saw the Ronin Buell.

Comment

That is one sick Buell. Although I would do without that massive girder front end. I understand the uniqueness but I don't like how visually heavy they are. The tail looks very similar to your current mock up. I like it.

Comment

Found:

Found a cool article on how cast your own tailights:

Buell's rock!

Comment

78 GS1000 wheels are the same pattern & use a disc.

I think the drum looks cleaner if you are going to leave that rear end kind of "bare" as it is in the pics above. Depends what you do with the exhaust too...

How about a pipe running back each side following the top rail? "Scrambler" style.

Dan
                              Last edited by salty_monk; 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X