1980 Suz GS450E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suz GS450E Project

So I've been on here for a little while. Figured I'd post up some pics of the bike now since everyone loves pics! This is going to take me a while to work on, but have a good start going. Here's what I've been up to.
    First Day Home

Stripped

Finally Inside

Removing Parts

Inside the Stator / Starter Gear area

Tank Stripped Bondo (First timer)
    Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2011, 12:00 PM.

Carbs (Missing a few screws)

More Tank Bondo

As Is..

Planning on fabbing up a seat pan from 22ga steel and relocating the rectifier / ignition box. Possibly mounting the start solenoid near the battery box. Want to hack about 6 inches off the rear extensions of the frame. Removed half the rear fender and fit back in place.

To do: Clean & rebuild carbs, fab seat pan, clean inside of tank.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Looks like you have a great project bike.

Comment

I sure hope you don't value that carpet too much!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          I sure hope you don't value that carpet too much!!
          Definitely not.. it came with the house and there are stains all over it. We've wanted to remove it for a while now and this will be the reason to

Comment

Nice start there... I feel like I've been here before

What's the plan with the new seat pan etc.? Cafe or some other type of custom?
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              What's the plan with the new seat pan etc.? Cafe or some other type of custom?
              Funny you should comment because I just spent over an hour scanning your thread on your rebuild. As far as the seat, I wanted to fab my own and model it similar to the tank shape, but today didn't go as planned working with the metal. Will have to figure something out. Want a shorter read section so kind of cafe style. Really didn't want to buy the fiberglass seat unless can't get something else built. I don't have any welding equipment or anything so might be tough.

I'm not going to undertake the engine overhaul (at least yet.) My plan so far is to clean up the carbs. Get those back on the bike. The tank has some rust so I'll have to deal with that. Find and hook up all the fuel lines (those weren't with the bike when I got it.) Needs an air filter for the airbox (inside parts missing too.)

Hoping the engine is good to go. It's been sitting forever, but only has 7,150 miles on it. It has the original tires too! I only paid US$250 for the whole moto, so not too worried it for some reason it doesn't work out.

Comment

Sounds like some fun is in order then! I have no metal fabricating skills whatsoever, so I'm hoping to find a decent pan that is close to a bolt on to give me a flat scrambler style like in the '60's and '70's. That'll be enough to make me happy.

Mate good luck with it, and hope I didn't bore you too much with my rebuild thread

Keep us up to date for sure, keen to see what you do...

sigpic

Comment

I do believe I have discovered some tampering though. I can't seem to locate my "main" fuse anywhere. Should it not be located near the battery on the main power line? All the other wiring looks to be right and original, so I can't figure out why someone would rip out the fuse and straight wire it. Hope they haven't burned everything up. Any thoughts?

What size fuse should I place on the line? I've got a Clymer and I'll take a look, but any suggestions would help too.

Comment

The main fuse should be between the positive terminal of the battery and the rest of the harness, and it should clip into the electrics board along with the R/R, ignitor, etc. It's a 15 amp glass fuse.

sigpic

Comment

Glass fuses kinda scare me. Go with a blade fuse. I have an inline fuse holder with a 15 amp fuse. You want it? I have a few extras .

Comment

This is about what it should look like.The fuse goes in the holder in the upper right of the ignitor/RR plate.Hate that glss fuse to.Wonder if a 750 fuse box will fit?My wifes 86 BTW.

Comment

Single inline blade fuse holders are available and some can even be ganged together with clips on the side. Dump that glass fuse its only going to give you trouble!

Comment

Nice little bike. You will have fun with it. + + on the fuse replacement. You can get an inline blade type fuse holder to splice in place from the local auto store for a few bucks I'm sure.

On the topic of seat pans, the easiest (and cheapest) type IMHO are the self made "fiberglass over foam". We've chronicalled this a few times so do a search but essentially you use pink or blue rigid foam to build up the shape you want and then cover it with fiberglass cloth and resin. You can also use this method to create missing body parts like side panels. The end result will be a rigid and strong but very light pan.

This method is fairly fast and easy since you don't need to make a "buck" or "mould" to cast from, simply form the shape and glass over. The only thing to know is that the resin used needs to be 2 part epoxy and not regular polyester resin as supplied in fiberglass kits. Polyester will eat the foam. Since epoxy resin is more expensive and sometimes harder to come by you can use regular resin if you first "encapsulate" the form totally so that no resin can get to the foam. You can do this by wrapping it in plastic shipping tape or the like.

This is not difficult for beginners and with a bit of patience a very acceptable seat pan can be fabbed up.

I'm enjoying this build so keep the pics coming.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
                            Spyug

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been out of the post for a while and just got back into working on the bike a little. I've still got to fix the fuse situation. I'm currently looking one I can splice in, but the wire gauge is proving difficult for some reason. Someone hacked out the original and replaced it with a bullet plug to the rest of the harness, hence no fuse currently. Think that they could have fried anything running it like this? I've still not tested it out. Need to get that fuse in before. I have a blade style holder with a 12ga lead wire, but it's definitely larger gauge than what's on the bike. ugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X