Cheap SERIES(????) R/R : VRRPM3 from OMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap SERIES(????) R/R : VRRPM3 from OMP

************************************************** *****************************
    Latest Updates:

I went by Salty Monks house to test a TRIAL unit he had bought from OMP-Oregon Motorcycle Parts
    Despite the inquiries and the claims this is an unbalanced SHUNT very similar to the original Suzuki R/R's

BOTTOM LINE THIS IS A SINGLE LEG REGULATING SHUNT DESIGN Circa 1977

results here for the IT IS NOT A SERIES R_R

NOITISNOT_SERIES_RR RESULTS HERE

************************************************** *****************************

Here is what I think is the best alternative.

Compufire 55402

Even though the ElectricCycle 600 series R/R's are also SERIES and very robust in almost every way to the Compufire. The Compufire is significantly smaller and will fit under a GS1100E side cover. The CE600 is a monster and has to be mounted someplace where there is space like under the battery box. The Compufire runs very cool so there is NO benefit to having the larger package of the CE 600 series. Both are 40 amp+ designs which way exceeds what a GS requires.

OMP-Oregon Motorcycle Parts

Has anybody ever bought one of these? They are about 1/2 the cost of the Compufire units. The title only says Series;

I CAN NOT CONFIRM THIS

I sent an e-mail asking about whether the units were really SERIES v.s SHUNT and what type of R/R the $92.00 VRRPM3 was an all i got back was one word "series".

On the FAQ page OMP claim to give generous pre sales support so I'm a little surprised by the terseness.

I sent another question for confirmation.

And waiting for a response.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html

For bikes with alternators and with 3 AC leads.

There will be models for at least the following bikes. Most Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki fours through the 1980s.
    There are too many models to list them all now.

$92.00
    VRRPM3

This unit will is for bikes with 3 AC leads from the stator

Max charging is set at 14.5v. This unit measures 65 x 95 x 38mm thick with 11"
    leads. The mounting holes are 80mm center to center and it may require some
    custom mounting on your bike.

This unit is great for bikes like the GS series Suzukis and Z and KZ series
    Kawasakis that have a 3 wire stator, Yamaha Maxim, Seca and Viragos up to
    900cc and many others.

I did a google search an only came up with the thread below

29th December 2009, 11:05
    biknut and dabronco:

Yes, I think you guys are onto something. The corrosion on the 30 amp fuse is the only thing I've seen that is suspicious so far. Battery is old, ok, but when using a heavy duty charger, it does not suck more than 15 amps - and it seems to hold charge well. If it had a shorted cell, it would not keep charge at 12,xx volts...(?)

Question:
    I concider getting a "series" type of regulator this time. As I understand, the stock regulator draws all current the stator can provide at all times, and shunts what the elecrical system does'nt need to ground - allways running the stator at full load.

The "series" type of regulator uses electronics to cut off the current from the alternator when the battery is fully charged, which - they say - keeps the regulator and the stator cooler, and also marginally less load on the engine (22 amps at 12V = 264w = ca 1/3 hp)

I concider the cycle electric regulator ( http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/RECTIFIER.html ) or the Oregon one ( http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html ) The oregon one is rated at 25 amps.

They both come with a no bs 2 year warranty.....

Anyone have experience with serial regulators?
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM.

A visit to the Company's Facebook page would be beneficial.

Comment

Hi Jim,

Interesting find. The next time my r/r dies (but hopefully not) I'll be a guinea pig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Im a little disappointed that they were terse with you... Seemed like such a nice guy.

Comment

Would be a good source if they are series... I might consider one for this summer's riding if they are.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well someone shoould send him a message and tell him his terseness is a cause for concern to prospective buyers.

Its a pretty lame response to get to a business inquiry.
            The answer is sincere at least no form letter from a service agency doing email support.

No phone number hmmmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              Im a little disappointed that they were terse with you... Seemed like such a nice guy.
              I followed up with two more e-mails. I'll see what happens. If I dont get a descent response maybe anybody else reading this thread can send a similar request referencing this thread. But hold off for teh moment; he seems to answer questions in the morning.

directly from the site

Free technical support is provided with all sales.
              This begins with presales charging system diagnostics and continues on with installing the part and checking out the system afterward to make sure it’s all working correctly. I will also answer most motorcycle relate questions if I know the answer.
              I'd rather help you diagnose the problem than sell you a part that you don't need. See my FAQ page.

Comment

I have also emailed him... (sorry - before I saw your post above....)

Perhaps he is simply very busy. A bit of padding on the response would have been nice though!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Oooh scroll down the page a little $87 for one for the GS450 etc.

I will keep this in mind if my R/R is knackered... hope to find out on Saturday if it's any good or not. This would be better than the Duanage R/R if it's series...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Oooh scroll down the page a little $87 for one for the GS450 etc.

I will keep this in mind if my R/R is knackered... hope to find out on Saturday if it's any good or not. This would be better than the Duanage R/R if it's series...
                    I saw that, he says its good up to 550cc, I wonder if he means "up to and including" or "below".

Comment

The pics you see on the facebook site make me think its a small Mom and Pop operation. Likley it is a side venture and he works during the day at something else.

He has happy reviews on FB not a lot but then a lot of old geezers do not understand the power of FB.

Comment

I saw that, he says its good up to 550cc, I wonder if he means "up to and including" or "below".
                        I would imagine it would be fine given he says KZ550 and 550 Seca... unless they're all twins of course?
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          I would imagine it would be fine given he says KZ550 and 550 Seca... unless they're all twins of course?
                          I checked, they are inline 4's . Its nice to have a source if I need one.

Comment

Seems strange, since the stators are the same size for lots of different size displacements. The R/R shouldn't care whether it's a 450 or a 1100 as long as stator output is similar watt wise.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You are absolutely correct; they are rated by power output of the stator (rated in Watts) not in engine size. My GS, for example, was rated at 280 Watts, which is around 20 Amps at 14 volts.

Comment

Working...
                              X