Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A skunk in the works

Was looking for a project after selling this

Was to be my wife's first bike.She really shouldn't ride so we sold it,there went my winter project toIt's someone else's problem now(no papers).Looked at a rough GS550 the owner wanted to much for and was telling my friend AZR about it via email.He was telling me he bought a 80 GS1000G and was looking to sell 2 of his bikes.Can't afford his 850 but this was in his shed

The rest of the peices are in his shed so it's a complete bike.Comes with a V&H header and a set of lower(my style)bars.Not taking that tank.He has one that is less dented.I'm exicited,this will be my first liter bike.No prizes for guessing how I'm going to paint it.

nice it also appears to have a dyna iggy on it to

Comment

I'm not sure does Martek make the Dyna? I think so but I could be wrong.

These carbs would not move when I tried them.Took the tops off and sprayed some penetrating oil on them.Still stiff but they do move now.Going to get a soak in Kleen Flo as we can't get Berrymans here

Hmmmmm,AZR said it was.

And it pretty much looks it,now.

Got some wok to do.Got to remember this is my winter project.Want to dig in right now.Think I just disassemble it and enjoy Old Yeller then get on it in the fall.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Get then other tank as well and slosh some kerosene or diesel around in it to oil coat the insides. Once you get around to doing the body work on it do then tank rust removal / sealer. Youll be glad you have a spare tank in the inventory.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Have you thought of bead blasting the whole lot, as it is?

Seriously, that's a helluva project! Looking forward to the updates
          GS850GT

Comment

Keen to see your work again Greg!

On the carbs, can you guys get Yamalube carb cleaner? That stuff is great. Yes, you need to get it from a Yamaha dealer
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Get then other tank as well and slosh some kerosene or diesel around in it to oil coat the insides. Once you get around to doing the body work on it do then tank rust removal / sealer. Youll be glad you have a spare tank in the inventory.
              The other tank is AZR's.He is being very generous with this and he has another skunk project of his own.

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              Have you thought of bead blasting the whole lot, as it is?

Seriously, that's a helluva project! Looking forward to the updates
              No I think I'll pass on that idea.Lots of updates may be awhile.Winter is a ways away here

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Keen to see your work again Greg!

On the carbs, can you guys get Yamalube carb cleaner? That stuff is great. Yes, you need to get it from a Yamaha dealer
              Was thinking about that.Don't get some stuff here because the companies won't do the French on the packaging.

Comment

Hmmmm....was going to sell these.

May just get the stock header pipes off AZR and use these.Dunstall reverse cones BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  The other tank is AZR's.
                  I still think He should hang on to it.

Your 'E' has only one front brake rotor. does the serial number say it's an 'E'?
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    Your 'E' has only one front brake rotor. does the serial number say it's an 'E'?
                    Serial # is GS1000-104406,no E.E wheels right?MC AZR gave me a 14mm for a singe disc system I believe.Want a right lower fork leg with lugs to make a 2 disc system.Want to upgrade to slotted discs and later calipers I have left over from Old Yeller.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      Serial # is GS1000-104406,no E.E wheels right?MC AZR gave me a 14mm for a singe disc system I believe.Want a right lower fork leg with lugs to make a 2 disc system.Want to upgrade to slotted discs and later calipers I have left over from Old Yeller.
                      Correct, not an E.

I have a set of forks that are 'two or three footers' from a 'E' I was planning to sell. I want what I have in them ($31.69). if you don't need complete forks, I have just the lower.

PM to discuss.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Sent you a PM Rustybronco.
                        Was out checking on some things

I think I'll make a Bobber out of it........NOT!!!

Newer (83)GS750 calipers bolt right up,nice.

Got to be a bit better than the old round pad calipers
                        The slotted 750 discs should bolt right up to.Looked and there's a splitter already there.Double banjo and some SS lines and a bigger MC and I should be good to stop

Comment

Was rooting around in my parts bins and found these.A set of 83 750 fork lowers.Any reason why they won't work?I'd blank off the anti dive units.Or just get a lower from Dale?

Comment

My vote is to get then stock fork lowrs from Dale..get the bike back to original as possible..
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              My vote is to get then stock fork lowrs from Dale..get the bike back to original as possible..
                              "Original as possible". With upgraded calipers and slotted disks?

My only concern with the 750 lowers is whether the caliper mounts are in the right place.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X