82 GS1100E Project/Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E Project/Cleanup

Just getting started on the bike and hope to have it running soon. Looks like I'll have to clean up the wiring and the head gasket is leaking a little. I'm putting the motor back together in my car also so this will be a little slow going. Snapped a few pictures before I really get into things.....on to the picture's.

This is what it looked like starting

Begining the tear down

You weren't kidding, it does look like the twin! Nice score!
    What's the condition of the tank? Mine is shot but thats okay it wouldn't be fun if it was easy

If you decide you don't want those case guards, let me know I might be interested.
    Last edited by wacky941; 06-29-2011, 08:09 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Finished cleaning the carbs but now have to find O-ring's and bowl gaskets before they go back on.

What they looked like starting off

Now good and clean

Comment

Nice project. Kudos for bringing her back .

Welcome to the EZ Boyez Club.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
          You weren't kidding, it does look like the twin! Nice score!
          What's the condition of the tank? Mine is shot but thats okay it wouldn't be fun if it was easy

If you decide you don't want those case guards, let me know I might be interested.
          I haven't really looked in the tank yet. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed before looking.

I've thought about taking them off then thought, I'll leave them on for now. If I do take the guard's off I'll let you know.

Comment

I'm in for the ride on this one .

Comment

Any updates?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I haven't had the time to do much yet. Waiting on my days off to do the most. I did take some parts off. Trying to make up my mind on whether or not I'll pull the engine.

I'm guessing stock coils

Lot of oil coming out of that head

Motor looks to be pretty nasty inside

Going to sand these down and repaint them

New wiring harness anyone?

Comment

Motor looks to be pretty nasty inside
                  another 100 000 miles left in her at least

Comment

I've tried looking through search to see if the 82 and 83 GS1100E is the same frame but can't find any info. I'm sure one of you guys can tell me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                      I've tried looking through search to see if the 82 and 83 GS1100E is the same frame but can't find any info. I'm sure one of you guys can tell me.

Thanks
                      I'm pretty sure that the '82 and '83 GS1100E are the same bike, except that the '83 has some upgraded parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post

Thanks
                        What exactly makes you ask ?

I think they are very nearly the same if not exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                          I'm pretty sure that the '82 and '83 GS1100E are the same bike, except that the '83 has some upgraded parts.
                          Thanks FC, I've been looking at the foot pegs on the 83 and like them alot more than the ones on the 82.

I have the whole back taken a part and cleaning the tire and other rear parts. It's my two days off so going to get as much done as I can.

Comment

The difference between the 82 frame and 83 is the foot pegs. The passenger will fit if you make spacers but the fronts will not fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                              The difference between the 82 frame and 83 is the foot pegs. The passenger will fit if you make spacers but the fronts will not fit.

That's what I was thinking, I was looking and compairing pictures of the foot peg area and it did look different. I see where the 82 the swing arm bolt goes through the rear foot peg mounting plate and the 83 doesn't. I guess I'm forced to just keep the 82's on it. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X