No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Project/Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tore most of it down today, spent most of the day breaking it down and cleaning the grease off some parts.

Cleaned the air box up

Trying to get that motor out of there

Time for me to get to bed so after work I'm going to get that bad boy out of there.

Comment

i see at some time the previous owners have tried reinventing the wheel on that oil filter cover. Why do people do this when suzuki provided the means to put a cooler on it from day one by putting the gallery plugs either side of the cover

Comment

I finally got that bad boy out of there. Now time to clean the frame up and repaint it.

Comment

i know you already removed it but the shop manual mentions removing the oil breather cover on top of the motor to give you that little extra clearance. I didnt find out til after i wrestled my motor out.

Comment

Just thought I would mention, in case you are considering pulling down the engine just to deal with the oil on the front of the barrels/head, to check the two head nuts with the o-rings first. I had the same issue, the PO had slathered silicone all over the front at the valve cover, thinking that was the problem. It as so bad I would finish each ride with oil spots on my pant legs.

Changed those o-rings, problem instantly went away.

They are under the valve cover, center front. I, personally would change those, along with your cover gasket and get her running. Then diagnose your situation, compression, plug color, etc.. I think, by the look of your pics, you will be fine.

Cheers, Erick

Comment

Did a little more today, now time to take the rest apart and blast the frame. Going to clean the engine up and paint it black.

and here's my other project

Comment

Cleaned up the engine a little. What type of blaster would be best for the engine and frame? I'm looking at a Soda Blaster and a Sand Blaster.

Here's a picture of my sprocket on the my 82 if it helps you any FC

Can anyone guess what this is?

Comment

Pontiac maybe?
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Your right, It's an old 67 Le-Mans. I tore it a part about 20 years ago and never have put it back together. I should be working on it and nothing else....haha

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                      That's what I was thinking, I was looking and compairing pictures of the foot peg area and it did look different. I see where the 82 the swing arm bolt goes through the rear foot peg mounting plate and the 83 doesn't. I guess I'm forced to just keep the 82's on it. Thanks for the answer.
                      Find an '83 frame and swap it out...I did that a while ago....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

If I ever run across one I'll get it but for now I'll clean this one up and use it. It's been 100 to 105 here so not getting much done right now.

Comment

OK, got the frame completely apart and ready to blast. I'm going to blast the frame, swing arm and engine tomorrow.

Mess in the shop

80 Grit Glass Beads

Carbs rebuilt, althought I didn't mess with the air screw because they're still sealed.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Oh, I did see some accel coils on Ebay.....wonder who will pick them up?

Comment

Thanks for the sprocket pictures. I think I got it all figured out now .

So you're going to blast the frame yourself? That's awesome!

Comment

Man, I can't say sand blasting is fun. I have that stuff all over me. But it's getting there.

I don't think I'll get the frame fully bare but as long as I get the rust off I'm happy.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X