Nasty Float Needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty Float Needles

Probably been seen a million times before but here is an image of some aftermarket float needles after the last 5000 kms,the black one in the pic is one of the originals which are getting reinstalled.The needles have to be made from an incorrect or incompatible material, the groove cut by the brass/bronze seat catches the fingernail yet though the originals contact line is visible no ridge is detectable.
    If the problem of flooding still persists will source genuine parts if available

the stock ones you have, you can wiz them over with some very fine wet and dry to get the seats looking like brand new
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What is in the gas yo guys use to cause the wear on the needles like that?
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
        What is in the gas yo guys use to cause the wear on the needles like that?
        V
        it is not what is in the gas, it is the cheap inferior metal the pattern parts are made of
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The original needles ,if they were not changed by a previous owner,had done 155000km 27000 of which i have done on the old girl so it aint the fuel just cheap knock offs. Does not give me much confidence on the rear master cylinder kit from the same manufacturer, may put off installing it for this maintenance round on source genuine parts if i end up keeping the L.Now just have to find my bloody ruler to check the float heights,typical carpenter cant find any of his tools ,and get the carbs back on

Comment

This thread needs to be a sticky, and required reading for GS newbies.

What really bothers me is that so many otherwise reputable sellers are still peddling this dangerous, useless crap. Seriously -- that could easily burn your house down and kill your entire family. Same for the petcock kits. The brake kits are almost as bad, although generally only one person at a time gets killed when these fail.

I guess they make a few bucks from ignorant people, so it's OK.
            Last edited by bwringer; 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Old needles refitted and hey presto fuel leaks gone and she idled even before balancing,tyre warrant and rego next

Comment

Working...
              X