Clutch slipping - i'm new and need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slipping - i'm new and need help

My clutch seems to slip at high RPM's, and after that almost all the time. I changed the oil (which was nasty as hell) and took it easy on it for a few miles and now it's slipping again, pretty bad too. i pulled the friction discs out and there is "some" material left on them, I described it to a guy and he said they were probably ok. Could it be the springs? Or the oil? How much material should be on the plates? i got the cables adjusted to the max on the engine and on the handle bar. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

what do you mean by max?? all the way in to the lever and the sprocket housing?? or are all the threads on the adjusters showing..fully out ??
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The threaded ends are threaded all the way out

Comment

ok...go down to the sprocket cover end and turn them about 3/4 way in and go about half way in on the handlebar lever. As you turn them so more and more thread shows you are LENGTHENING the cable..This makes the pressure plate grip with LESS pressure on the clutches..This is not what you want. As you turn the screws so lees thread is showingb you SHORTEN the cable thereby INCREASING the grip of the pressure plates on the clutches. Now you start to adjust from there. Do MOST of the major adjusting down below and use the levef adjustment for the finer tuning. AND look at your service manual as well if you have one. Under the clutch relaeas cover you will see a threaded rod with a JAM NUT on it. You can loosen that jam nut just a slight bit and turn that screw in a little at a time. thats yet another point to adjust the clutch from. use all three in combination to get your lever where you want it to be and to be sure the clutches are locking up properly. See the schematics at bikebandit.com as well for reference.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you! I will try that and see what happens. Thanks again!

Comment

More than likely you need to replace your frictions and clutch springs. Even an old low mileage bike can have fatigued clutch springs. Springs are less than $15.
            Replace the parts, change the oil and adjust your cable, you should be good to go.

Comment

If I need to go that route, I know these words don't go together very well but where is the best/cheapest place to get them. I've checked ebay, and it seems most part #'s are not matching my bike and I don't know which one interchange if any. I also haven't seen any springs on ebay.

Comment

I got the OEM from the dealer for my two 750s for like 12 bucks per bike.. nothing expensive at all as far as spings go. havent bought clutches yet so i dont have any references for them. Its not hard to do the springs.. Just drain the oil, remove the clutch cover, replace the springs, replace the gasket with a new one and button it all up. refill the oil and do your adjustments. While your in there check the big nut in the center of the clutch basket and be sure its tight.. Bend up the tab on the lock ring, put a big socket on there and be sure its tight and rebend a lock tab back down.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-14-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I have good springs if needed.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What about clutch fibers and steels ?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                      What about clutch fibers and steels ?
                      Yup got a bunch of those too
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well..why not put together a package for him?

All he needs is probably the friction plates and a set of springs.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. moparjack3018,

You can measure your clutch plates to see if they're in spec. There should be a manual for you on my little website, if you need one. It will explain a lot.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help! I REALLY do appreciate it!!

Comment

before I made my 1100E road worthy back in '05 my bike had sat for 10 years without being run. I was experiencing clutch slip above 7000 rpm's in the higher gears. After a clutch teardown and inspection, all's i needed to do was replace the "laxed" clutch springs, and the large grooved bronze thrust washer. My original plates were all within spec. , but I had already purchased new drive plates so I just put them in anyways. It's very common for 25 year old clutch springs to become compressed and loose their original free height.

Comment

Working...
                              X