No announcement yet.

Clutch slipping - i'm new and need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you think I should just get a set of clutch springs and try it, and if that doesn't work get a set of friction plates? What kind of oil do you guyrs run? will that make a difference too?

Comment

Originally posted by moparjack3018 View Post
      do you think I should just get a set of clutch springs and try it, and if that doesn't work get a set of friction plates? What kind of oil do you guyrs run? will that make a difference too?
      That's what I would do. Lightly grease one side of the gasket so you can probably get it off neatly if you need to go back in any time soon.

Not to start an "oil war": what kind of oil are you using? The majority here seem to like Rotella T (diesel) oil, either natural (15W-40) or synthetic. Supposedly has stuff like zinc that's helpful to our gearboxes, and doesn't have anti-friction agents which can hurt clutch performance. As a bonus it's cheap and available at Wal-Mart Whatever you use, look for the API spec and try to find one that DOES NOT say "energy saving" - most of the latest car oils will be.

Comment

ok. I ordered some springs last night, when I change them i will try the Rotella. Thanks for your help (all of you)!

Comment

Originally posted by moparjack3018 View Post
          What kind of oil do you guyrs run? will that make a difference too?
          I run whatever oil leaks out the slowest.

The famous "oil opinion war" just cracks me up. I don't understand why so many people loose sleep over what oil to run in their 25+ year old $1000 beater GS...

If you need to ask i've tried cheap Wal-Mart Castrol 10/40 car oil, all the way up to $9/qt. Golden Spectro 20-50 bling oil, and didn't notice one bit of engine behavior differences. My oil of compramise/preference is Kawasaki 10W40. It's reasonably priced, and spec'd for wet plate motorcycle engines, and it's available 15 min away from my house. I run this oil in ALL my bikes from street to dirt, (even in my Harley's primary clutch system ! )
          Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2010, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
            "...I don't understand why so many people loose sleep over what oil to run in their 25+ year old $1000 beater GS... "
            Them's fighting words mister... She may be an old girl, but I love her and I will defend her!

P.S. Diesel rated...
            Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I noticed parts-n-more had friction plates for 48.00 for my bike, cheapest I have seen.

Comment

Just checkin on the oil, i got Walmart brand in it now. I didn't know if a different kind would let the clutches grip better or not.
                i adjusted the clutch and right off the bat I could feel the difference, it still feels like it has a slip but no where near as bad. I guess i'll put the new springs in when they get here and try the Rotella 15-40 and see what happens. Tomorrow morning i'm gonna take a 20 mile ride to check on my other baby and see what happens. The bike had always seemed like it gripped better cold, it should be good and warm by the time i get back, i guess that will tell me a little more.

Comment

Working...
                X