Tire question looks vs functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire question looks vs functionality

So I am building my GS750 to be close to a café racer. I have found period looking tires. But I am not sure of the quality of these copies. I like to ride my bikes hard, as well as commute them. My other option is to skip period look and go with either a Dunlop GT501 or a Bridgestone BT45.

Thoughts?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Qckslvr View Post
    So I am building my GS750 to be close to a café racer. I have found period looking tires. But I am not sure of the quality of these copies. I like to ride my bikes hard, as well as commute them. My other option is to skip period look and go with either a Dunlop GT501 or a Bridgestone BT45.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    My opinion: tires aren't something to play around with for "looks". They are the one thing that keeps your ass attached to the seat and attached to the road. Don't skimp don't buy outdated designes for originality's sake and don't screw around. Get the best you can. My choice? Avon AM26 Roadriders are a good way to go. Nice a grippy, and good modern compound on a bias ply design. Tires today vastly outperform the OEM stuff. Btw, also my opinion, BT45s are trash. Unless of course you LIKE riding around on what feels like car tires?

Comment

What tires have a period look?

Get the best tires you can afford, then spend a bit more

Avons are a popular choice
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I had the Bridgestones on my ZX11R and liked em

But all my other bikes had Dunlops on them. The Avons are cheaper than the Dunlops, I like this I will give them a try.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I agree. If you're going to put the bike in a display case just to look at, put period tires on it. If you're going to ride it, put good tires on it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            What tires have a period look?

Get the best tires you can afford, then spend a bit more

Avons are a popular choice
            Repop tires that are from the day.

Comment

The best tyres for that period look are Avon Speedmasters aka Skidmasters. There is a good reason for that alternative name - get modern ones.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

At the last vintage bike gathering I went to where people actually ride in (some hooraw near Cincinnati) something like 70% of the vintage bikes were wearing new-ish Avon RoadRiders.

They work so well I wouldn't really care if they had satanic symbols in the tread design, but they actually look really good on a vintage bike, methinks.

Exhibit A:

(Probably the last time my GS was remotely clean... )

Truthfully, I don't care for the way the Pirelli Sport Demons look, but they are another tire that works so well no one cares.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I am not into the cafe racer mindset, but if they are still active out there, what makes you think they wouldn't have modern rubber on there?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    My choice? Avon AM26 Roadriders are a good way to go. Nice a grippy, and good modern compound on a bias ply design. Tires today vastly outperform the OEM stuff. Btw, also my opinion, BT45s are trash. Unless of course you LIKE riding around on what feels like car tires?
                    +1 on this although I've only put in about 100 miles on them so far. TheCafeKid said they'd turn in a lot better and he was right! I replaced my worn out Cheng Shin Hi-Max shoes with RoadRiders and while I liked the CS tires just fine these feel much better right out of the box so to speak, even before they are broken in properly. I can't wait to get down into the Catskills up up in the 'daks!

Mine do have the optional satanic symbols though, the pentagram and goats head insets send water and small debris directly to hell for a smoother ride.

/\/\ac

Comment

TCK is 100% correct, I'm running Avon Road Riders on my '80 and '82 GS1100E. As for looking period correct, they are reminiscent of the Dunlop K391 that was so popular back in the day but I'm sure the rubber compound used in today's tires is much improved. Good luck to you, post a pic of whatever you end up buying.

Comment

Wow,

Cheapo reproductions of Metzler Lasers!

They look to be good for riding from the trailer to the display area

Ride that bike like you should
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Those Kingstire tires look like slab sided Cheng Shin Hi-Max knockoffs. The front is almost identical and the rear is differentiated by the car like sidewall.

No thanks!

Comment

So a quick update. The Avon Roadriders (100/90-19 and 120/90-18) have been on the bike for a week. So far they are great, handle great, and feel good. My Kirker is keeping me from wearing the chicken stripes off I will probably take the Kirker off and take it for a quick spin open header to wear the stripes off.

Comment

If you're on a budget get the Pirelli MT66. I have it on my bike that I ride to work daily...even in the rain. Great tires for the money.

1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                              The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
                              X