82'1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82'1100g

Just got an 82-GS1100G. No idea of what I'll do with it , (restore, rat rod, bobber, caffe, get it running and ride it,.........). It seems all there, (don't know what one looks like complete), and I rode it home via "screwdriver plate transfer". Needs a good carb cleaning, the front brake doesn't grab untill I move my fingers out of the way of the grip, and the rear tire is a bologna skin. Other than that, I could use it as a daily rider. Has a few dents and dings in her tank and finnish and some rusty bits here and about.

Here's the ol' girl today when I bought her.....still warm from the ride home....................

We'll see how it goes from here............

Futher inspection, the tank on the 1100 has A-LOT of rust in it. May have to take a trip to those crazy guys in NH to see if they have a tank for this thing.

I just noticed that what I have is a 82' GS 1100 GZ. If anyone knows of another model that uses the same tank, please let me know. More models=less looking.

PS
    Anyone have any sugestions on how to lower my 83 so the wife can ride it? ( short legs, but HOT, .......wife...not bike)

Thanks,

Don
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Nice looking bike Don, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
        Futher inspection, the tank on the 1100 has A-LOT of rust in it. May have to take a trip to those crazy guys in NH to see if they have a tank for this thing.

I just noticed that what I have is a 82' GS 1100 GZ. If anyone knows of another model that uses the same tank, please let me know. More models=less looking.

PS
        Anyone have any sugestions on how to lower my 83 so the wife can ride it? ( short legs, but HOT, .......wife...not bike)

Thanks,

Don
        why not just coat the inside of the tank? it's cheaper and then the tank still matches (paint job looks to be decent from the pics). The POR-15 product should work just fine, and easy to do.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That's a riot. Looks like the brother to mine:

My tank(s) were pretty rusty. Took them to a radiator shop. Then banged some nuts, bolts and chains around the inside then sealed it with some red stuff. It's been fine for several years.

I believe an 82-83 GS 850 tank will fit.

Congrats on the purchase. Very nice bikes.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2010, 07:22 AM.

Comment

There's only so much you can do with a shaft driven bike... What's your budget gonna be? Are we talking powdercoat or spray paint? That said I feel that it could best be a resto mod. "Paint it black" lol

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. In order posted:

Thanks Josh.
              May even have her roadworthy for Skateguy's gig on the 10th. Most likely not, but maybee.

Chiphead,
              You stole my bike and fixed it up..........thanks! Mine's not as pretty as it looks in the pics. Plenty of dents, dings, and scuffs that don't show up on the camera..........plenty.

Midnight,
              The first thig will be to get it safe-roadworthy and clean the carbs. After that, have no idea what to do so I'm just going to leave it alone for now. I'm one of those guys who think, either go all the way or leave it alone,(like cutting the lawn without weedwhacking, do both or neither). If I decide to do a proper restore it will be all the way like 1100E's bike which will $COST$. If I go rat rod, it'l be cheap but, I'll be cutting up a perfectly good GS. Kind of the same as a rat rod, going the caffe route will also involve cutting up a good GS.

We'll see what my attitude and budget bring once it's on the road and running proper. In the mean time, please keep your thoughts coming........I may be swayed in any direction with this one.............

Thanks again for all the comments.

Comment

Hey Don,

I would do the POR-15 process with the tank... that stuff rocks IMO. I've just done that over last weekend on my 550E tank. I can help you with that if you've not done that before. I've done about 5 tanks so far with that stuff.

I wouldn't bob it myself - it's a great riding bike as is - can't even tell you even have a passenger on it with the power it has. That bike was made to ride long distances very comfortably - one of the best seats the GS series ever produced.

Use it for 2 up riding with your hottie, buzz around with your 550 - a perfect compromise!!

Mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the offer. While we're all burning our stoves and clearing the driveway, I'll have to have you over to help me do the tank for sure. And I relly would hate to cut this thing up too bad. I know I could do a decent job, but still........

Considering a windshield and bags kind-a thing for it ???????????

Comment

Just make it safe and ride it. Pretty sure that 550 will begin to sit a lot.
                    Riding a good 1100G is like riding a cannonball.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[QUOTE=don;1291505]Thanks for all the comments. In order posted:

Chiphead,
                      You stole my bike and fixed it up..........thanks! Mine's not as pretty as it looks in the pics. Plenty of dents, dings, and scuffs that don't show up on the camera..........plenty.
                      ....QUOTE]

Yoiu obviously have not seen my bike up close.

Comment

The camera may add 10 pounds to people, but it eliminates a lot of flaws on a bike. lol

Comment

In addition to your other jobs, and I cannot stress this enough, replace your rear hub spline straight away. If you don't, you'll really be kicking yourself when it goes bang and leaves you on the side of the road. 82 and on shafts are notorious for it. Crap crap craaaaaaaaap metal they used.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            In addition to your other jobs, and I cannot stress this enough, replace your rear hub spline straight away. If you don't, you'll really be kicking yourself when it goes bang and leaves you on the side of the road. 82 and on shafts are notorious for it. Crap crap craaaaaaaaap metal they used.

TCK, what are you supposed to replace this spline with? Just curious as I have my eye on an 82 GK. (sorry for thread hijacking)
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                              TCK, what are you supposed to replace this spline with? Just curious as I have my eye on an 82 GK. (sorry for thread hijacking)
                              Well, you can either order the part new, (they AFAIK STILL use this set up in some of their cruiser bikes) and they used much better metal on these, for about 140 bucks, OR peruse ebay and find a pre 82 bit. The NEW NEW ones are silver in colour. The OLD OLD ones are black in colour. The shlt ones are gold in colour. Trust me. I blew up two of these in 7k miles...

Comment

Working...
                              X