burning oil and catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burning oil and catalytic converter

My '95 Mazda turned over a quarter million miles last month. I need to license it in NM, which means that I need to pass an emissions test and replace the catalytic converter, the one that Mazda stuck on it 19 years ago.

When I start it cold, I get a puff of smoke. The puffs are gradually getting larger. I assume that the valve guides are bad and getting worse. No noticeable oil consumption between changes, just the smoke on cold start.

Q1: Will this level of oil burning hurt the new catalytic converter?

Q2: What' invovled in changing valve guide seals?
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

A1: I would think that if your trips are long enough to get the cat up to full operating temp and keep it there for a while, that little puff of smoke is not going to hurt it (much). What reason has been given for the 'need' to replace the cat now? Just age, or have you had a preliminary test done?

A2: Usually, that involves pulling the head. However, some have had success by stuffing some thin rope into the spark plug hole while the piston is down, then bringing it up slowly to hold the valves in place while you release the keepers on the springs. It works quite well on some engines, not so well on others.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      A1: I would think that if your trips are long enough to get the cat up to full operating temp and keep it there for a while, that little puff of smoke is not going to hurt it (much). What reason has been given for the 'need' to replace the cat now? Just age, or have you had a preliminary test done?

A2: Usually, that involves pulling the head. However, some have had success by stuffing some thin rope into the spark plug hole while the piston is down, then bringing it up slowly to hold the valves in place while you release the keepers on the springs. It works quite well on some engines, not so well on others.

1) The check enginer light has been on for about 20K miles, code is catalytic converter. Exhaust system is beginning to get noisy.

2) Inventive method. I should probably get an estimate on the cost. My fingers are too weak for head removal and reinstallation.

Thanks,
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Here are a few examples:

This is a quick video on what to use and how to remove and reinstall valve stem seals without removing the cylinder head on a GSR LS Vtec. Thumbs Down? pleas...

This is how you can remove and replace valve guide seals with the head still on the engine. Normally you have to have the head off so you can fit the valve ...

Hey guys, me using my $20 tool to remove valve springs and keepers.Me Removing the valve seals:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a89Nf5kkX4&feature=player_embe...

Plenty more, but you should get the idea from these.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Neat! My engine is very similar to the Miata engine. I might try it, after I get a few other projects out of the way. Thanks.
          sigpic[Tom]

Comment

As long as it gets up to temp regularly, the catalytic converter will put up with quite a bit of oil burning -- I've seen as much as a quart every 500 miles with no issues. Eventually, there's a point where it's too much or you get enough buildup to cause issues, of course.

A puff of smoke is nothing much to worry about if oil consumption isn't too high.

Yes, you can replace valve guide seals with the rope trick or an air hold. The rope is probably more reliable if you don't do this often.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There is only a puff at start up after sitting overnight. Oil consumption is very low. The drive to work in 9.8 miles, mostly at 45 mph, so there is plenty of time to warm up twice per day. I'm almost convinvced to try the rope method. Access is excellent at the top, and the engine is in several ways identical to early Miata engines.
              sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Working...
              X