Is OEM redefined over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is OEM redefined over time?

I just received an “OEM” mirror for my GS1100ES through Partzilla. It is like the original only in style—certainly not the same in finish or even dimensions. The stem is 3/16” shorter and it is painted—not black chrome like the original. And the swivel point is larger than the original. With shipping it was over $60. A price I only paid because I wanted a matching original. Really disappointing.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

If the same manufacturer that made the original unit also made this one, it would, indeed, be Original Equipment Manufacturer.

I would think that if it had the same exact part number (not superceeded), it should be the same, but that might be the difference between OEM and NOS, or New, Old Stock. Something that was made back then and has never been used.

Yeah, for $60, I would be disappointed, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some of the current parts are inferior to the originals or at least different. I've ordered things like hardware, clamps, etc and the new parts fit the bike but were not same as the originals and they were more generic.

I'd send the mirror back and eat the restocking fee. Chalk it up to live and learn.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The original part numbers I find are:

56500-34300
        MIRROR, REAR VIEW RH

56600-34300
        MIRROR, REAR VIEW LH

These have been superceded by new part numbers:
        56500-01D02 (right, supersedes 56500-34300 56500-34301 56500-34302 56500-43401 56500-01D01)
        56600-01D02 (left, supersedes 56600-34300 56600-34301 56600-34302 56600-43401 56600-01D01)

So yeah, Suzuki can and does consolidate part numbers and substitutes parts that function the same but look different. As far as I am aware, the original part number should always be an identical part. If there are any differences, even only cosmetic, the part number will be superceded.

Of course, sometimes the online fiches don't do a good job of conveying this information. Alpha-Sports always starts with the original part number, so it's a useful way of tracing the history of a particular part number. It's really too bad their pricing is so outlandish.
        Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Partzilla, on the other hand, only shows the new part numbers, and doesn't seem to mention that it's not the original part. In this case, yes, it's a mirror and it would help you see what's behind you. It functions, like just about any other mirror with a 10mm thread would, but it certainly doesn't look the same.

Quite often, the new part is better in some way (like the spline couplers in the rear wheels of GS shafties, and many GS cylinder head gaskets) or you don't care what it looks like (many gaskets). Fasteners often have a different surface finish, black instead of chromed or whatever.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can use the original part number and do a little poking around on fleaBay to locate new old stock (NOS) parts.
        Last edited by bwringer; 04-15-2018, 05:09 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have seen superseded part numbers before—like the side cover cushions. I didn’t realize that Partzilla didn’t show that information. CycleGear has GP mirrors that are the same style for $20/pair. Pretty sure I’m going to send this back. I have actually been planning on replacing both mirrors with NOS since I got the bike in 2014 but couldn’t justify the cost. Breaking the left one pushed the issue. A bit like Christmas opening the box but immediately saw the painted finish and knew I’d been had.
          sigpic

Comment

Just like the counter sunk screws for cam cover caps, they dont have a domed top, there flat just like hardware ones

Comment

This is a problem with the Suzuki two strokes that predate the GS-series.
              Just two examples:

Suzuki used plastic sealing washers on the oil lines. The superseded parts are aluminum washers. The oil line bolts are hollow & have a low torque limit, so the aluminum washers work for crap.

Recently ordered a brake cam for the 4LS front drum brake. The current part was just a smidgen too short. I subsequently got a replacement via eBay with the original part number.

Honda does it too. A while back I bought new OEM mirrors for an ’86 Nighthawk. The Honda dealer parts guy said something about the mirrors actually being for a scooter.

Comment

The restocking fee is BS as well. This is why Amazon has become so powerful. They make the process so easy. If they charged a restocking fee their sales would plummet.
                sigpic

Comment

Part of the issue is how the part numbers supersede. Most of the OEM's will substitute a part with the same general form, fit and function, but the part may be different. In some cases it is innocuous. In others it is awful.

There is a matt black cast aluminum front master cylinder cap that if you order you get a blue plastic cap.... nice huh!

OEM isn't always really OEM... Suzuki sold the bikes, but purchased many of the parts. NGK, Mikuni, Takasago, ND, KD, Stanley are a handful of the companies who made parts for the bike brands. Some of the original equipment manufacturers don't exist now - and in other cases Suzuki (and the other bike brands) have changed sources for the part. Plug caps on the earlier bikes were unmarked - but buy many of them now and NGK is molded into the cap. Bolts are another good example. The head and the finish on many bolts has changed over the years. Chrome becomes zinc, the unmarked hex head now has a grade cast into the head. The partial thread becomes full thread - it is common, but frustrating. There were some chromed, domed pinch bolt on some of the bikes that come as hardware store grade bolts now.

Having worked for a large equipment manufacturer in the past, every part number changed resulted in a revision code as a suffix. This always uniquely identified the parts.

Comment

All good points. If the parts are not going to be as original then I object to the prices being so high that one might expect more than they are getting. If Suzuki can get a manufacturer to have “Suzuki” molded into the piece, then can’t the insist on the length being correct? And if this mirror can’t be black chrome, Should I have to pay five times a similarly made item so that it has “Suzuki” molded in? Of course, it’s whatever the buyer will bear—free market and all. Bottom line for me, a lesson learned the hard way—again.
                    sigpic

Comment

No 3 son broke a chrome turn signal stalk on the Z400. The twenty Euro replacement was excellent externally.
                      There was a slight difference in the lens pattern.
                      Inside it was all cheap nasty plasticky and flimsy connections.
                      Luckily we had the old one and everything including the wiring went in with no mods needed.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Between having to pay shipping both ways and the 15% restocking fee, I'm out $28.94 for a $53.93 mirror I wouldn't have ordered if I had known it wouldn't match the original. Last purchase from Partzilla.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X