All GS1150 owners please take one minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All GS1150 owners please take one minute

Hi I have a problem with my new to me 1150 that some people say might be a characteristic of the bike. It vibrates violently after 3500 rpm. I had a post asking if any one knew why, but nothing to go on yet. Now I want to do a little poll. Does your 1150 have excessive vibration? If you are pressed for time a simple yes or no would be great. if you have time a little explaination of what your bike feels like would really help thanks again. Frustrated in Canada.

Yes mine Both of mine vibrate, so does my brother in laws and the guy we ride with.

I am not sure what you mean by excessive.

It is a known fact that GS1150 vibrates and it is something that we (the 1150 fanatics) are willing to over look.

Were in Canada do you live? If you come to Brandon MB I will let you take mine for a short ride and you can compare the feeling. Thats the best way to see if there is sometning wrong.

Comment

I am in southern Ontario. too far from you. but thanks alot for the offer. And you gave me a great idea. I will find one for sale near me and go try it. The race shop near me said it was excessive. Iv'e had 400 twins, 550,750,900 fours all kinds of singles and even a V-four yamaha V-max.(awsome ride up to 200 kph) and over 30 snowmobiles and nothing came close to vibrating like this does at 4500 it litterally feels like it will come apart if left to run awile at that rpm. thanks again Hank. please everyone else let me know. Oh by the way I was talking to a couple that knicknamed their 1150 the "limo" because it is so big and smooth. go figure?

Comment

Some thng else i though of, the front tire, 1 make sure that the air pressure is correct, 2 make sure it is balanced (the 1150 has a 50/50 weight distrabucion) and 3 make sure it is of good quality sport tire, a touring tire will make it handle like crap!

Comment

ABOUT THE VIBRATION--HAVE YOU CHECKED IT OUT TO BE SURE IT'S AN RPM THING INSTEAD OF A KPH/MPH THING

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod
            I am in southern Ontario. too far from you. but thanks alot for the offer. And you gave me a great idea. I will find one for sale near me and go try it. The race shop near me said it was excessive. Iv'e had 400 twins, 550,750,900 fours all kinds of singles and even a V-four yamaha V-max.(awsome ride up to 200 kph) and over 30 snowmobiles and nothing came close to vibrating like this does at 4500 it litterally feels like it will come apart if left to run awile at that rpm. thanks again Hank. please everyone else let me know. Oh by the way I was talking to a couple that knicknamed their 1150 the "limo" because it is so big and smooth. go figure?
            If you are experienced with that variety of bikes and you think the vibration is excessive then it is. Scotty makes a good point in that you need to check if it vibrates just when the motors is revved or if it vibrates excessively only when the bike is in gear and rolling.

1. If it vibrates with the bike out of gear at certain rpms then you have an internal engine problem (bent crank, pistons not evenly balanced, starter clutch out of balance, etc) and possibly with the clutch (specifically the clutch basket and primary drive gear and/or drive plates).
            2. If it vibrates with the bike going down the road at specific rpms in each gear, then that points towards a problem with the clutch. If the vibration goes away or changes dramatically when you pull in the clutch, then I would definitely investigate the clutch.
            3. If the vibration depends on speed alone and does not depend on what gear you are in when the vibration begins, then I would investigate your tires, chain and sprocket (I got a strong vibration when my chain was stretched too far), and possibly your wheel and swingarm bearings. The clutch would still be a possibility here also (mainly the clutch hub and the driven plates).

Now it is possible that you have nothing that is really out
            of spec when it comes to balance but when you combine several elements (a slightly out of balance crank, a slightly out of balance clutch hub, and a slightly out of balance tire) these elements could combine to give you a harmonic resonance that is causing the bike to vibrate badly. If that is the case, you will not see a consistent pattern of vibration, only one that comes and goes. This would be the worst to troubleshoot.

Hap

Comment

All 1150 owners

Hotrod, where in southern Ontario are you?
              Im in Mississauga - Toronto suburb, I own 84 GS 1150 and it vibrates, but somehow I got used o it. If you would like to compare our bikes email me.
              I`m planning to go to Paris ON to see same old bikes - we can meet there.
              Regards - Adam M.

Comment

Thanks Adam I sent you a private message.... Isn't this site great. Still would love to hear from others.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hap Call it is nice to have people willing to help each other like this. Numbers 1 and 2 apply not 3 . You mentioned the starter clutch out of ballance. This is one area I couldnt check. I dont have the tool or know how to get the magnet off. If I get the tool what is involved to get it off. Also the component of the main clutch which has the springs on the back has rotational play in it. do you think that could cause this kind of vibration. I will eventually buy one if I keep the bike. I think they are around $250.00 but I dont want to spend that right now unless I was reasonable sure this peice would help.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hap Call it is nice to have people willing to help each other like this. Numbers 1 and 2 apply not 3 . You mentioned the starter clutch out of ballance. This is one area I couldnt check. I dont have the tool or know how to get the magnet off. If I get the tool what is involved to get it off. Also the component of the main clutch which has the springs on the back has rotational play in it. do you think that could cause this kind of vibration. I will eventually buy one if I keep the bike. I think they are around $250.00 but I dont want to spend that right now unless I was reasonable sure this peice would help.
                    I would investigate the clutch basket first...it is the easiest and the most likely thing to be causing you troubles. Have you looked at it yet to see if the rivets that hold the gear to the clutch basket are not loose? If they are, that needs to be corrected. That will definitely cause a vibration problem.

In the case of the starter clutch on the left side, there is a special puller to get the starter clutch/ferrous magnet assembly/flywheel off. I got one from a little shop near here for $16 US (I believe that would be around $23 Canadian). You just screw it on and then tighten the center bolt and the magnet part pops off. The hardest part is just getting the cover off the bike to get to the flywheel...don't pry with a screwdriver or you will have an oil leak.

Hap

Comment

All Gs 1150 owners takea minute

IT is extremly difficult to take the rotor off from 1150 crank - even with proper tool. One of the jobs to leave for a Suzuki dealer to do.
                      Component of the clutch you are talking about is a clutch housing, and any play in this element can create strong vibration.
                      Any mistake in shimming this element can create vibration too.
                      If you decide to change it - buy reinforced part, not an original part from a dealer - this is a weak link in this bike design.
                      Regards - Adam M.

Comment

Thanks for the info Hap Call and Adam. When I tore the engine down to try to find the cause of the vibration and to freshen things up I found the threads on the rotor/ stator/ magneto, or what ever it is called stripped. I wonder what can be done to remove it now? The main clutch had the wrong amount of shim in it which I adjusted according to my manual. the part with the steel hub pressed in had that hub very loose. So I bought a new one. I was very happy when I found that worn part thinking that had to be the problem. But it wasn't. I found the second time I had the clutch out that I could hold the gear on the back of the clutch housing and twist the housing to move it back and forth a little. I wasnt sure if this was normal because the springs made me wonder if it was supposed to be able to move. I have since heard that there are rivits in there somewhere and assume there should be no movement. Right? If I buy a reinforced part will it work with the other new part I bought already? Oh by the way I was just wondering... the general concensus is that 1150's have vibration. Do the other size Gs fours as well. I had a 1988 GSX-R 750 once but I don't recall there being a overly amount.

Comment

1150 Vibes

Another thing that will have a strong influence on vibration in any bike,GS1150's in particular.Is the bushes in the front engine mount,the mount that is under the exhaust pipes,if these are deteriorated or worn they will allow an extraordinary amount of vibes through into the bike.
                          My local mechanic (another GS freak)also mentioned that engine mount tensions on these bikes is important.
                          Dink

Comment

You know I never thought of that!

Comment

My 1979 GS750 has a very high frequency vibration buzz between 5000 and 5500rpm that is bad enough to make
                              my hands go numb in about ten minutes. Its an rpm thing
                              though not a speed related problem. Any other rpm, its pretty smooth. Not silky by any stretch, but I think within
                              normal range for most of our dinosaurs. :-) I simply just
                              dont cruise at that rpm in 5th. 4700 is 70 mph, so either
                              I travel at less than 70 or over 80. :-)

Earl

Do the other size Gs fours as well. I had a 1988 GSX-R 750 once but I don't recall there being a overly amount.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X