No announcement yet.

All GS1150 owners please take one minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW I forgot to mention that my 1150 is quite smooth, it does have some vibes, enough to blur the mirrors slightly constantly,but it is heaps better since replacing these bushes. I would now say that there is no particular revs at which it is better or worse.
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod
      ...the component of the main clutch which has the springs on the back has rotational play in it. do you think that could cause this kind of vibration. I will eventually buy one if I keep the bike. I think they are around $250.00 but I dont want to spend that right now unless I was reasonable sure this peice would help.
      You should not be able to rotate that gear at all by hand. APE will rebuild your clutch basket for about $200 plus S&H. I am surprised you have not heard an clutch rattling if that basket has play in it. Mine rattled like a box of marbles until I replaced it.

Hap

Comment

Wow! I cant beleive everyone chipping in to help. Thanks all. The front motor mounts have been replaced as one of the first things I tried. the old ones were shot. I didnt consider however that torque might be important. I just did them up tightly. What should it be torqued to?I will do something with the clutch basket. I just got a parts bike cheap and will check the condition of that basket as soon as I get time. Hap the motor does have a little knock coming from that clutch area but it is not that bad and noticable mostly at idle.

Comment

Wow! I cant beleive everyone chipping in to help. Thanks all. The front motor mounts have been replaced as one of the first things I tried. the old ones were shot. I didnt consider however that torque might be important. I just did them up tightly. What should it be torqued to?I will do something with the clutch basket. I just got a parts bike cheap and will check the condition of that basket as soon as I get time. Hap the motor does have a little knock coming from that clutch area but it is not that bad and noticable mostly at idle.
          There is a wealth of information here and everyone is willing to help and these guys really know their stuff. It doesn't matter how silly you may think the problem is they realise that everyone has to start somewhere.

Comment

Engine mount torque specs.
            Upper front engine mount bolt 50.4 to 63.4 ft/lb
            Lower front engine mount bolts 36 to 43.2 ft/lb
            Upper rear engine mount bolt 50.4 to 63.4 ft/lb
            Lower rear engine mount bolt 39.6 to 47.5 ft/lb

BTW starter clutch allen bolt 16.5 to 20 ft/lb

Comment

Thankyou very much for digging up those torques for me W.o.D. Im sure I over tightend them. That cant help matters. Im new to the internet and still think its cool Im talking to someone in Australia. Whats the weather like where you are. Can you ride all year. Its just getting warm enough here to enjoy a ride. Talk to you later. oh and Gday Eh. LoL

Comment

Thankyou very much for digging up those torques for me W.o.D. Im sure I over tightend them. That cant help matters. Im new to the internet and still think its cool Im talking to someone in Australia. Whats the weather like where you are. Can you ride all year. Its just getting warm enough here to enjoy a ride. Talk to you later. oh and Gday Eh. LoL
                This internet thingy is cool isn't it, you think talking to Australia is cool talking to people in the US is even better 8)
                It's raining here at present and we have had one nice day in the last 2 weeks, the forecast for the next week is rain, rain and more rain but we do ride all year round.
                Howdy right back at you

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                  ...the component of the main clutch which has the springs on the back has rotational play in it. do you think that could cause this kind of vibration. I will eventually buy one if I keep the bike. I think they are around $250.00 but I dont want to spend that right now unless I was reasonable sure this peice would help.
                  You should not be able to rotate that gear at all by hand. APE will rebuild your clutch basket for about $200 plus S&H. I am surprised you have not heard an clutch rattling if that basket has play in it. Mine rattled like a box of marbles until I replaced it.

Hap
                  Hotrod, I started to think some more about what you had said about the component of the main clutch having rotational play...I want to make sure that we are talking about the same rotational play. The clutch basket (that is the part that has the springs on the back) will have some rotational play as a whole unit if you rotate it. This is because of gear backlash between the primary gear on the crank and the primary driven gear on the clutch basket. The Primary driven gear should NOT have any rotational play in relation cast aluminum part of the clutch basket because it is riveted to the clutch basket. These rivets have been known to come loose.

I do not want you to put out a lot of money on something that is in perfectly good shape just because I did not explain it very well or because I misunderstood what you were talking about!

Hap

Comment

Hotrod, I have a 85GS 1150E and I don't think mine vibrates at all. But it has what I describe as a buzz as I go up through the gears and rev's. It seems as though I can hear it as well as barely feel it,as a slight tickling in my hands. We may be talking about the same things, I don't know. But in any event, I hope you get to the bottom of it. .
                    Good luck, David

Comment

The vibration from my 1150 is surely the engine. Something connected to the crankshaft. By buzz, I think Hotrod ment a real fast vibration, not a buzzing sound. The vibration from my 1150 is a much faster vibration than from a tire out of balance, also much faster than the clutch hub would be turning, apprx. half the speed of the crank. It seems some 1150's, like mine and Hotrod's are very bad vibrators, some, like Dink's, noticible, but not too bad, and others like David's, barely noticible. Just a thought, has anyone replaced the pistons in an 1150? If so, did they notice any change in the vibration? I've ridden all sorts of GS's, and owned at least 10. This is my first 1150, I've wanted one since 1984, and am very happy with it now that I have it, but the vibes are very annoying, and the seat doesn't fit my butt near as well as the seats on any of my other GS's. I have an "83" 1100 E, that is a much more comfortable ride, no vibes, a great seat, more comfy riding position, But I still ride the "1150" most, I think it just makes me feel more macho and powerful. Any ideas? please help; Hotrod and I need it

Comment

Hi Hap everythings fine we are on the same page. And thanks for the concern. The play is between the basket and the attached gear. and Ican move it probably 0.150 in. Didnt take the time to look closely at this assembly so Im trying to picture what the springs do if the two peices are rivited together. Also trying to imagine how this play could become my nasty vibration but only starting at 3500 rpm. David you make me jealous. I can feel all the Potential in this bike and know I would love it if I get it sorted out. rphillips thanks for the reply. Does your vibe start at 3500 like mine. My bike is actually quite smooth up to that point, I can ride quite comfortably at 85 kph. (just over 50 mph) but thats it.

Comment

I tore apart the worst one of my two baskets, now I understand exactly how they work. I have a couple more questions for you all to consider. If I machine up some bigger heavier handle bar weights will it decrease vibrations further?.
                          My rotor is damaged to the point that I cant remove it with a factory puller, any ideas how to get it off. If worst comes to worst, I can destroy it to get it off because I have another one.
                          And some one mentioned in an earlier post about foot peg weights. Niether of my bikes have them. Can some one describe what they look like because I can easily make something up at work. Thats all for now and thanks again.

Comment

I tore apart the worst one of my two baskets, now I understand exactly how they work. I have a couple more questions for you all to consider. If I machine up some bigger heavier handle bar weights will it decrease vibrations further?.
                            My rotor is damaged to the point that I cant remove it with a factory puller, any ideas how to get it off. If worst comes to worst, I can destroy it to get it off because I have another one.
                            And some one mentioned in an earlier post about foot peg weights. Niether of my bikes have them. Can some one describe what they look like because I can easily make something up at work. Thats all for now and thanks again.

Comment

1150 vibration continued.

I tried to post this in the other 1150 vibration post I had going but it would'nt go............ this is in response to the last post in the previous vibration topic. I tore apart the worst one of my two baskets, now I understand exactly how they work. I have a couple more questions for you all to consider. If I machine up some bigger heavier handle bar weights will it decrease vibrations further?.

Comment

sorry about the triple post, my screen said "no post for this topic" and I didnt know what was going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X