X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herd Mentality -- Parts II and III

Herd Mentality Chapter Two

HERD joins the Heard

by Richard Rothschild (Gold Wing rider writing for the GL1800 forum, similar to the GSResources)

“What a great day to try out my new bike”, thought Herd, as he stretched and gazed out the window of his bedroom. He showered, brushed and eagerly rummaged through his newfound treasures purchased a few days earlier. “How does this look, Honey?” he asked as he modeled his leather vest and T-shirt in front of the full length mirror. He applied his dark glasses and admired his rugged facade as he posed in the mirror. His wife approached him and asked with a puzzled look on her face, “Herd, what’s the purpose of the leather vest?” Herd responded with authority, “Honey, I have to wear leather because it protects me in case somebody cuts me off and I have to lay the bike down.”

Confused, she continued, “But how can a leather vest protect you when it has no sleeves to cover your arms, and why would you lay the bike down. Wouldn’t it be better to keep it up and try to use your brakes to stop?”

Herd hesitated, pondering her naivet?. Hmmm. “Honey, everybody wears leather vests, and everybody knows that you lay the bike down in an emergency”. Besides, why would they sell so many if they weren’t important? She was silent for a moment and retorted, “Oh, I thought they wore vests to show off their tattoos.” He headed for the door. Perplexed. He pondered again, and thought to himself, “All the guys wear leather vests and talk about laying the bike down”. He dismissed his confusion as unfounded and proceeded toward the garage.

In the garage, Herd mounted his new 2003 Sportster... 1200cc of metal, chrome, and muscle. It was a beautiful machine. He turned the key, and pressed the starter button. The engine cranked reluctantly 2 or 3 revolutions and fired-up. He revved it two or three times and delighted in the powerful sound, and thought to himself, “Man, I can’t wait till I get a chance blow somebody away.” The engine settled down into the comfortable potato-potato-potato cadence that was music to his ears. “Man”, he thought, “Now this is what it’s all about.”

Herd righted the bike; raised its kickstand; pointed the sleek machine toward the street, eased-out the clutch and paddled down his driveway. Twenty feet before the street, he applied the front brake, continuing to paddle, keeping the beast upright. “Man, there’s nothing to this, it’s easy!”

Herd looked left-right-left, released the front brake lever and paddled the bike the last two or three feet down the driveway apron onto the street as he simultaneously released the clutch and twisted the throttle. The dream was now a reality. He ratcheted-up the throttle while humming Steppenwolf to himself as he headed for his rendezvous point to meet his buddy.

Six blocks into his journey, Herd encountered his first red light. He pulled in the clutch and the front brake lever as he again lowered both feet in preparation for his stop. Left-foot right-foot left-foot right-foot, paddle, paddle, … stop. Nothing to it. Herd glanced to his left and noticed a minivan with a middle age woman and her teenage daughter. Herd blipped the throttle two or three times for the benefit of his audience but deliberately avoided eye contact so as to appear nonchalant and cool. Veeeeeeeeerrrry cool...

Ten minutes of cruising and Herd arrived at Tooey’s Bar and Grill. There were about a dozen Harley’s and two strange looking bikes that looked like spaceships. Herd paddled his way into the parking lot and dismounted. He glanced admiringly at his Sporster and all of the other beautiful Harleys. As he walked down the row he approached the stranger looking bikes. He remembered they were Gold Wings. He studied them for a second, awed by the huge passenger seat, electronic buttons, and sheer bulk. He glanced at the miniscule passenger pillion on his Sporster; glanced back at the GoldWing, and humored himself, “Hmmm.. maybe that’s why they wear shirts about bitches falling off.” Dismissing his own jocularity, he proceeded into Tooey’s.

As he entered the bar, he was approached by his friend “Roadkill”. Roadkill introduced him to the others… eleven guys and three girls. They welcomed him to the table. . It was 11 AM and the guys were having an early brew to loosen up before hitting the road. Herd learned that 12 of the 14 belonged to the local HOG chapter; the other two owned the GL1800’s and were friends with one of the HOG members from work.

Finishing up, they headed for the parking lot. The ride leader owned a Road King, and was approached by the Gold Wing owners. “Are we going to have a pre-ride meeting before heading out”?

“Why do you need a pre-ride meeting?”, he asked.

“Well just to understand how we are going to handle details like getting separated, or ride formation, red lights… that kind of stuff.”

“It’s simple”, replied the ride leader, “You just follow the bike in front of you, and if you get separated, just meet at the Steel Dog Saloon at 11:45 AM.

“Okay, but what CB channel will you be monitoring?”, asked the Goldwing owner.

The ride leader ignored his question, shouting, “All right everybody, let’s get going. Does everbody have gas?”

“Sh!t. I knew I forgot something”, thought Herd. “I need gas I’m almost empty.”

He immediately headed to the BP cross the street and filled his tank. “Wow… it only took 1.9 gallons to fill this baby and it was almost empty. This is great!”

Across the street the formation pulled onto the access road. Herd peddled; pulled out; and the last rider signaled for Herd to enter the formation in front of him. It was a beautiful thing. But Herd had to admit to himself that it was pretty noisy in the rear of the formation. He could barely hear his own engine because the Deuce preceding him in the formation was pounding him with straight pipes.

As they entered the highway, Herd cranked up the throttle. The smooth potato-potato throb of his Sporster’s engine reached crescendo in the form of a high pitch vibration that tickled his hands and feet as his speed approached 70 mph. Steel Dog Saloon… Here we come!!!

Stay tuned for next week’s exciting sequel entitled, “Herd gets Humbled”. In this next episode, Herd and his Sportster decide it’s time “to give somebody a spanking”, and picks a race with an easy target in his group- one of the big heavy Goldwings. This is one “spanking” you won’t want to miss… and also see why Herb concludes it’s time to tear his brand new engine apart and install $3,000 of “Screamin Eagle” performance upgrades.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herd Mentality- Chapter Three

“Herd gets Humbled”

by Richard Rothschild

‘Twas a day of rejoice ‘twas a great day in town

when Herd’s shiny Sportster rumbled around,

Come Honda! Come Suzi! Come Yamie! Come all…

Cause this one cool HOG can sure do it all.

So off to the racetrack, lickety split,

Momentarily “old Herd’ would sure let it rip.

So he crept to the staging light, with clutch in-and-out,

Smiled at the crowds as they started to shout.

A confident soul not scared a bit…

His competition was naught… it was built by the “Nips”.

And he thought to himself, “that rice bike I’ll sting”,

As he scoffed, and winced and toyed with the “Wing”.

How do they do it? It’s amazing they roll,

With buttons, and armrests, and CB’s and all.

With that much weight, he’ll get stuck in the traps,

I’ll nail 1320 and take a look back…

And I’ll smile with pleasure and snicker for fun…

That Goldwing’s a pig , it won’t be a run.

“WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS POEM FOR A SPECIAL NEWS REPORT FROM 75/85 DRAGAWAY!”

According to sources at 75/85 Dragaway, five people were injured when a Harley Davidson Sportster ridden by a racer named “Herd Mentality” went “airborne” a few seconds prior to a drag race while in the staging area. Eyewitnesses report that Mr. Mentality was apparently revving his engine in preparation for a race when he suddenly lost control; did a 180 degree wheelie; jumped the Jersey barrier on the north rim of the drag strip and mowed down five other Harley Davidson Motorcycles and their drivers.

As paramedics were carrying Herd away on the stretcher, he was reportedly mumbling something about doing a burnout, and something about his “clutch cable breaking”. His competitor, whom was riding a large Honda touring motorcycle, was reportedly seen shaking his head and proclaiming something to the effect that, “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered”.

NOW WE RETURN YOU TO OUR NARRATOR…

Actually, contrary to popular misconception, the Honda did run that day, and clocked 12.7 at 103 mph. Herd, while hospital bound was advised of this by his visiting friend “Roadkill”. Herd was apparently stunned to hear this, and (judiciously choosing his words) responded, “dang!”. Nonetheless, Roadkill was not discouraged and provided consolation, “Sh!t Herd, that ain’t no great shakes… you just have to make ‘yer bike right… a few Screamin Eagle parts and you can eat that piece of Jap crap for breakfast.”

Herd was feeling better and appreciated Roadkill’s encouragement. “Yea man, I’ll get me a Stage one Stage two Stage three and all, and I’ll teach that rice burner a lesson.” Roadkill responded, “Right on man… you ride USA’s BEST… a Harley frickin’ Davidson, and nuthin’s gonna stop you.” “Right-on man”, proclaimed Herd as he “high-fived” Roadkill… “it’s time for some “hi-po” parts”.

Stay tuned for our next exciting episode. In chapter 4 titled “Screamin’ Eagle… Here We Come”. Herd decides (after a dozen beers) that his bladder shouldn’t be the only thing that screams, and sells his trailer to raise big bucks for his hi-po transformation!

"I had to lay 'er down to avoid an accident..."
    Rrrriiiiightt ... that still counts as a crash, moron, even if it was sorta "deliberate". I've heard that old chestnut many times. Methinks tires have a greater coefficient of friction than chrome, buttless chaps, and pre-distressed denim.

"paddle...paddle...paddle...paddle...paddle...padd le..."
    Heh, I see that one every day. It's fun to stop next to a paddler at a light and nonchalantly balance for a while without putting a foot down, then smoothly zip away when the light changes (a little trick from my misspent mountain biking youth).

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

good one Nick. Thanks

Comment

I've been waiting for the sequels........

THANKS Nick!!

I love em, keep em coming
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Guys, I must reiterate that these stories are not mine. They're written by a riding friend of mine, a member of the "Between the Sheetz" gang, by the name of Rich Rothschild. Rich rides a Gold Wing and posted these three parts on the Gold Wing GL1800 board, which is similar to our GSResources forum.

I saw Rich on Sunday at breakfast before our ride, and he shared with me parts 2 and 3. I decided to post them on this forum for the following reasons:

1. I thought some folks would enjoy the humor. After all, we make fun of Harley riders around here all the time.

2. In order for humor to work, there must be some truth underlying it. Y'all must admit that there's so much truth in all these exaggerations.

In all my years of riding I've known two motorcyclists who prefer to ride Harley Davidsons. Each of these guys has become a good friend and riding partner. They are not "Hardley riders"; they're motorcycle riders whose preference is Harley Davidson motorcycles. There's a substantial difference.

If I've offended anyone by posting these stories, too bad. I liked them, I enjoyed them, and it seems as if others on this forum did too.

Nick

Comment

Well said, Nick!

And thanks for pointing out the difference between motorcyclists who prefer Harley-Davidsons and "Herds" who buy Hardleys and bad attitudes.

Remember, we're the idiots who ride the snot out of extremely rare, not-very-collectible, 20 - 25 year old motorcycles. Most of the world thinks we're the crazy ones...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Remember, we're the idiots who ride the snot out of extremely rare, not-very-collectible, 20 - 25 year old motorcycles. Most of the world thinks we're the crazy ones...

My God, you're so right! One of my best friends, Jennings, a member of the infamous "Between the Sheetz gang", has made it his crusade to put me on a "modern" motorcycle. He can't conceive of someone continuing to ride a 20-year-old motorcycle with 83,000 miles on it, week in, week out, year in, year out. He rides a shiny 2004 BMW K1200LT.

Yes, it's hard to explain "us" to others, even those who have known us well for years! One thing for sure -- my motorcycle budget is much lower than Jennings's!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                "We're the idiots" 8O NOT (I'd reserve that characterization for those who are duped into paying 3 or 4 times more for a motorcycle than necessary.

Comment

I have had the pleasure of driving several of my friends to the HD shop to do exactly what Part I stated, then I have been asked to participate when they performed part II, but declined. Fortunately I have not had to go through Part III with them and I hope I never will.

It is funny that every one of them paid cash for their bikes and gear and they bought nothing that would actually protect them in a crash. No kidding, one friend decided to put all of his own chrome parts on by himself, so we had the bike on the trailer and the back of the pick-up full of boxes of parts. (Several thousand $$$$ worth) They are my friends so I still love them, but this story is so true to form that it's scary.

BTW - Every one of them paddles to and from a stop as well!

Great Story Nick, tell your friend to hurry up with Part IV.

Comment

True story:

A few weeks ago, one of my bosses (the Herd clone) asked me, "If you got a raise, would you finally buy a new bike?"

I said "Eh, no. I'll probably ride this one a while longer and pay off the rest of my debts. Unless you're talking about the kind of raise where I could afford the maintenance on a BMW."

He was utterly baffled.

But a few days ago, my other boss (not a rider, but a guy with some sense) told me I'm getting a raise! Ba-da-bing!

It's a mighty nice raise, but not quite enough for that Beamer.

Don't worry -- no matter what, I'm gonna keep my GS! In truth, much as I hate to abandon shaft drive, a naked SV1000 or ZRX would be an incredibly tempting addition to my stable.

I've got such a ridiculous amount of money and time wrapped up in my GS that the few bucks I might get for it would be pretty pointless.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

I'm gonna be brutally honest; I loved the GS1150 from the day it came out, and as soon as I found a good one I got it. But another reason I ride it is that it's what I can afford right now. As soon as I can pay for a 'Busa, it's mine!

Now let's see, 2 kids in daycare, save for college, etc, etc,... do you think they'll still be making 'Busa's in the year 2028?

Comment

Seeing as our beloved Queenie had bought me the Katana I had wanted for twenty years I thought a newer bike would be nice and started casting around for a Busa, everything was going great until I mentioned in front of the kids that I may trade in the Tractor on a Busa 8O
                        Oh my gawd !!! the tears and historonics I copped from the kids, "They" wont let me sell it, "they" barely spoke to me for days, although "They" made it perfectly clear that any other bike would be in addition to, NOT instead of any of the other bikes.
                        Not that I mind I didnt want to trade the Tractor it was only suggested out of economic reality, but it didnt take much arm twisting to convince me to keep it
                        Dink

Comment

I contacted the creator of "Herd Mentality", Rich Roth, about the clamor among some Suzuki riders for Part IV. Here is Rich's reply:

Nick,

Regarding your request for Chapter 4...

You have to be patient. Please remember that Herd owns a H-D and he only rides about 700 miles per year. That's about 14 miles a week (or 2 round trips to the Steel Dog Saloon)... so it may take a while for Herd to accumulate some more "adventures".

However, fret not. Rumor has it that Herd's planning a real bun-burner ride in October... perhaps 90 miles! He and his buddys are in the planning stage. They're gathering maps; tools; more tools; spare parts; and soft coolers to hold their six-packs.

I understand they've got their destination finalized, they just have to map-out a course with "watering holes" every 20 miles or so, and of course, at least one dealership in case of a need for parts or costume updates.

You'll be the first to read about it.

-Rich

Comment

Nick,

We have something resembling the Herd Mentality here. I've been working at the National Laboratory here for over 20 years and this seems to be an integral part of the Laboratory Mentality.

The Nerd Mentality usually sets in when they decide that they can save money by cutting their own firewood. The Nerd will then go out and buy a big Dodge truck with Dualies, a Sthil chainsaw, and a wood splitter. During the initial outing it is not at all uncommon for the Nerd to amputate his leg with the chainsaw and/or drop a tree on his Dodge truck. If the Nerd happens to be among the lucky few who survive the wood cutting trial and make it to the next spring they notice the nice weather and the number of people riding motorcycles and decide to give it a try.

The go through the same purchasing experience as described in the Herd Mentality except for getting their vests modified so they have someplace to put their pocket protectors. Then they haul their bikes back up to Los Alamos.

Now they are ready to give riding a try. Los Alamos is not all that big a county so occasionally they can make it all around the county without laying it down. They meet at the local bars and talk about how many times they have laid their bikes down.

Now just by listening to the conversation you can sort out who the players are pretty quickly. The ones who sheepishly admit that they have never actually laid their bikes down are the technicians, the ones that have only laid them down a total of three times are Engineers, the ones that have laid them down 30 or 40 times are junior staff members that are usually BS or Masters Degree level employees, then the great majority of the riders that have laid their bikes down 1000'sw of times are the PhD?s mostly from the theoretical side of the Laboratory.

The explanation for this is simple the technicians know that it hurts to fall down so they take care not to do it, the Engineers are still capable of learning and so after about three times they put together the cause and effect, the junior staff members usually still listen to the engineers so they get help to over come the problem, and the PhD?s unless their wives are riding with them to remind them never seem to make the connection that you need to put your foot down when you stop or you'll lay it down.

Comment

working in a biochem lab, that sounds about right!!! tho few actually ride around here...

Comment

Working...
                              X