Firstgear Diablo Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstgear Diablo Jacket

Well thought I'd tell a little about this jacket. Since it's my first jacket, I may miss some points here.

I paid $66 shipped to the door from newenough.com (&e-bay). They have these on closeout for $69. Shipping seems reasonable - for me it would've been around $11 S/H.

I didn't know what to expect, but I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality. This seems to be one sturdy jacket. It's a Leather-Tex (textile). I would say it's mostly Textile as the only leather is on the top of the shoulders and runs down to the elbows. It has the Armor in the back, the shoulders and the lower arm (forearm). The armor pockets have a Velcro strip which makes it easy to get the armor in and out.
    It also has a zip in liner that is included. It makes a huge difference. I rode the other night without it and it was in the low 50's (F) and it was noticeable. The next day I headed south for a long ride and put the liner it, it made a huge difference. I also rode this morning at around 42 degF and it was comfortable. The liner was very easy to take out and put back in. It has 2 snaps at the wrists so that it stays straight and doesn't get twisted.

It has 2 zippered vents on the front torso and 2 on the back. It also has 2 on the lower arms. It felt fine when I rode in 75 deg F. It got a tad warm sitting in traffic. This concerns me for the 98 deg Florida summers.

It also has 2 velcro side waist adjuster and 1 on the front.
    The jacket says "Water Resistant" so it's NOT water proof. What the tags said was that you should be able to get thru a Squal with out worry. Not sure if that means the Florida Summer Squal or not. 8O I hit 2 pockets of drissle and didn't penetrate. But that was hardly a test.

The down side I've found is that it seems to have 2 pockets, but they seem as part of the Vents. The zipper vents open, then recessed there is a snap in the middle of the pocket. So I'm thinking you'd have to be careful what you put in there if you plan on having the vents open.
    There is 1 inside pocket that seems useful. However, I've now got a tank bag, so pockets aren't an issue for me.

So, Long story even Longer, I'm VERY impressed with this jacket. It seems to be of Highest quality. It has plenty of armor. The ventilation appears good. The liner is as well. It's touted as a cold and hot weather, but I may have doubts about the Florida summer heat. If I could stay moving, it would be fine.

I wanted to get this out because newenough still has them on clearance if anyone was in the market for a new jacket. It sure is affordable enough.

Dave,

I have Firstgear overpants and I can say that I very pleased as well. When we got doused at the Brown County rally last year, the only thing that was dry on me was my legs - thanks to the pants.

-Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Thx for the info Dave. Looks like a nice skin.

I need something lighter and cooler for next season
      so I will check these out.

Comment

An update. This morning it was 34 deg F, Jacket performed quite well. Kept me very comfortable.

Now if my hands and feet were that comfortable, would've been mucho better. :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Dude,
          Thanks for the info. Just bought one today. I'll let ya know how i like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattman
            Dude,
            Thanks for the info. Just bought one today. I'll let ya know how i like it.
            Well, I hope you didn't buy because of my posts. :?
            I just went on a Hot Weather ride today, Not good results. If I was riding above about 45mph, I got some good wind, but when I got in traffic and hit slower speeds, I roasted. It was around 86-87? today. :?

I really like this jacket, I'm totally impressed with the quality. However, I think Warm weather jacket means under 80?.

I've ridden in Temps now, from mid 30's to mid/upper 80's. It is awesome with the liner in it. Never got cold. Hit rain, only slightly wet where the zippers are. Yet, I'm going to look into a mesh jacket. I couldn't handle the temps today, and this is mild compared to what summer brings here in Florida.

All in all, great Fall to Spring jacket for me. I love it. I will just have to add a summer riding jacket.

Comment

Joe Rocket Alter Ego...................as close to an all season jacket as you can get.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

DM,
                nope just needed a good riding jacket, I was in the market, and you hit it on the head. Even better, i told a friend that bought one as well, he decieded to go to a diffrent web site, because they were always cheaper, well, he paid $120.00 for his. thanks again i get it this week I'll let ya know how it does in the NH spring time

Comment

Glad to hear it. I love the thing. Very well constructed and comfortable.
                  I just ordered a Teknic Supervent Jacket for the summer. These 2 jackets should be great complements to each other. 8)

Good luck and I'm anxious as to what you think of it and also, what color did you get?

Later.

Comment

I got yellow, I always was a brite colored kinda guy. should be here tommorow. let ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattman
                      I got yellow, I always was a brite colored kinda guy. should be here tommorow. let ya know.
                      Same one I got. Looks great.

Comment

Dave,
                        got it yesterday, REAL nice. Fits great, Just brought the 1100 in for its spring cleaning so i should get to actually use it soon. thanks again dude!
                        Matt

Comment

Got the bike back yesterday, 50 deg. I was toasty. Forgot the gloves though, that was bad. otherwise nice purchase. Thanks again dude.

Comment

Glad you like it. I have absolutely NO complaints about this jacket.

Love it. Good Deal.

8)

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
                              Dave,

I have Firstgear overpants and I can say that I very pleased as well. When we got doused at the Brown County rally last year, the only thing that was dry on me was my legs - thanks to the pants.

-Jon
                              Jon (or anybody else for that matter),
                              Any long term thoughts on the FirstGear HT overpants? I'm looking at a set for $120. I don't have a pair of riding pants for protection or rain, and I'd love to get something I can just slide on over my work clothes. On paper, these would certainly fit the bill. Just want to make sure everybody's continued to be satisfied with the product.

Comment

Working...
                              X