SeaFoam and SeaFoam Deep Creep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SeaFoam and SeaFoam Deep Creep

After it came up in another thread, thought I'd start a whole new one for SeaFoam. This stuff eats hard carbon deposits like I've never seen. I remember years ago, anytime I wanted to clean the carbon off pistons/heads.. it was either bead blasting or scrape/wire wheel for hours and hours.

The pistons on my 77 GS-550 had nearly 2mm of carbon build up (presumably from crummy gas ;-). Last night I sprayed them with SeaFoam deep creep.. and used a brass brush and got nearly all the carbon off in less than 5 minutes. There were some spots of heavy deposits, so I'm letting them soak now.. I expect it'll be super easy to finish up in record time ;-).

The regular SeaFoam (non spray can version) is used as a fuel system cleaner, fuel stabilizer and probably other things. You can pour it in your intake (preferred method is suck it in via a vacuum line), let it soak and when you start up 10 minutes later.. you'd be amazed at the cloud of crud that comes outta your engine (stay upwind!).

It seems to be available at a lot of places, Napa always carries it (AFAIK) and I've noticed it almost hidden at chains like AutoZone, way up high..

Good for loosening up bolts too...

And no, I have no affiliation with them...;-). The Bandit mailing list introduced me to SeaFoam years ago.. and I've been a convert since. I usually try to run a can through all of my vehicles once a year just for the heck of it.

I first learned about Seafoam on the Subaru message board, and have since used it in the fuel tank and the intakes of all my cars and my bike. It seems to make a big difference in the acceleration and power available on an old car, probably due to its carbon-burning effect.

For those who are more interested in carb cleaning, and dissolving gum and varnish deposits, try Berrymen's B-12 Chemtool, available at Walmart. Way cheaper, and does the job well.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BigMattyD
      I first learned about Seafoam on the Subaru message board, and have since used it in the fuel tank and the intakes of all my cars and my bike. It seems to make a big difference in the acceleration and power available on an old car, probably due to its carbon-burning effect.

For those who are more interested in carb cleaning, and dissolving gum and varnish deposits, try Berrymen's B-12 Chemtool, available at Walmart. Way cheaper, and does the job well.
      I think it's pretty clear, if you have gum/varnish problems.. Berrymens... carbon buildup SeaFoam.. hrm.. alternate them in the gas tank ;-)

Comment

How would you put the SeaFoam in the intake of your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
          How would you put the SeaFoam in the intake of your bike?
          By pulling the carbs off and cleaning them correctly Mike. Not trying to find the easy way my left n... Your busted buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            By pulling the carbs off and cleaning them correctly Mike. Not trying to find the easy way my left n... Your busted buddy
            Hey, man. As soon as Earl tells me to pull those suckers off, they're coming off same-day.

I just don't understand the logistics of putting SeaFoam into the intake. Wouldn't you have to remove both airboxes first? This was actually from a search helping my buddy bring his bike back to life.

No easy way here. Nothing's ever easy.

Comment

Thats BS, Gnaht said to get a 3/8th's carbide drill on the intakes and just spray the schitt in the holes, then use duct tape to close the holes, unless your GS is running rich then omit the duct tape :-D

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                Thats BS, Gnaht said to get a 3/8th's carbide drill on the intakes and just spray the schitt in the holes, then use duct tape to close the holes, unless your GS is running rich then omit the duct tape :-D
                See? The more I learn about carbs, the more stuff I can understand and find funny.

Comment

This was actually from a search helping my buddy bring his bike back to life.
                  Man, I wouldn't believe that if I heard it. But I swear it's true. I used Berryman's b-12 in my friend's tank this spring and he was so impressed with the improvement, he started looking at the other crap in the same section and asked me about SeaFoam.

Once again,...as soon as I get the word from Earl to pull them off and rebuild, I'll be on it like stink on a monkey.

Comment

Surrrrrre Mike, we got ya

Comment

Surrrrrre Mike, we got ya
                      I figured that would go over like a schit-scone.

Comment

How to introduce Seafoam?

I just don't understand the logistics of putting SeaFoam into the intake. Wouldn't you have to remove both airboxes first? This was actually from a search helping my buddy bring his bike back to life.

No easy way here. Nothing's ever easy.
                        I have the same question, could I just use Deep Creep (Seafoam in a spray can) and spray it into the carbs while my '80 GS850G with 37k is running??

Comment

Yep you can spray it into the carbs while it is running (if you do it right, the bike will bog down and possibly have some smoke).

I found the easiest way to clean the carbs using seafoam was to give the tank a double shot (twice the recomended amount per gallon gas), rock the bike side to side to mix it up... Then open the nut or screw on the bottom of your carbs and let the gas flow for a minute or two, until you are cure that gas with the seafoam has reached your carbs. close it all back up and let it sit over night. Drain your carbs again (should have all kinds of junk in the gas if you have never done this) Let it sit for a few more hours, drain, clean all the gas off your bike and take it for a spin, 20 miles or so and crank on it a bit to help clean it out. You can then drain a little gas out into a glass and see if you are still getting deposits out of your carbs or not. If not, you can start riding as normal if you are still getting stuff, let it sit overnight again. I've had good luck and my mechanic who just had my carbs off said they were the cleanest he has ever seen.

Comment

Why not just ride the Seafoam through your tank? I usually do (and yes, I recommend it too). Unless the bike is not running or barely running and you are trying to get it running right again?
                            2010 Honda VFR1200F
                            1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                            Being Revisited
                            1981 Honda CM400T
                            http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                              Unless the bike is not running or barely running and you are trying to get it running right again?
                              Why not then?

Comment

Working...
                              X