LED Battery Gauge by Kuryakyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Battery Gauge by Kuryakyn

I recently purchased one of these little jewels to monitor the weakest link in the GS - The Electrical System. It functions as advertised but has a few negatives. The dimmer is a little strange. The LEDs next to the dimmer keep the dimmer from working. It thinks it's still daytime. If I put my finger over the sensor, it dims and stays dim. It is also not water resistant. I got in some rain and it fogged up. The lense is just glue tacked to the case. It came off with a piece of tape. I blew out the water with compressed air and re-installed the lense. The LEDs are extreemly bright, even in the "dimmed" mode. They are a little distracting. Apearantly, there was no hysteriesis built into the circuitry. When it is between tow different levels of indication, the highest LED flashes on and off at a rapid rate, which is also distracting.

It works.

Would I buy it again?

Probably not.

That name sounds expensive. How much $ ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      That name sounds expensive. How much $ ?
      About $38.

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
      I recently purchased one of these little jewels to monitor the weakest link in the GS - The Electrical System. It functions as advertised but has a few negatives. The dimmer is a little strange. The LEDs next to the dimmer keep the dimmer from working. It thinks it's still daytime. If I put my finger over the sensor, it dims and stays dim. It is also not water resistant. I got in some rain and it fogged up. The lense is just glue tacked to the case. It came off with a piece of tape. I blew out the water with compressed air and re-installed the lense. The LEDs are extreemly bright, even in the "dimmed" mode. They are a little distracting. Apearantly, there was no hysteriesis built into the circuitry. When it is between tow different levels of indication, the highest LED flashes on and off at a rapid rate, which is also distracting.

It works.

Would I buy it again?

Probably not.
      mixongw, sorry for your poor results with this device. I was leery of it when I first heard of it for a couple of reasons. First, it is a "motorcycle" product, which means that it will be priced outrageously high for the cost and value of the components. Second, and related to the first, is that LED battery voltage testing devices for cars abound, and they are usually less than $10. Nevertheless, for that price they should have gotten it right and made a bug-free product that worked flawlessly given its simple design.

I still think the best voltage monitor at a reasonable price that I have found is the Digital 5-Function Volt Meter. It sells for $21.48 plus low USPS postage.

Includes voltage monitoring from 11.0V to 16.0V with thermometer, ice alert, clock, stop watch and lap counter. Runs off 12V bike power and is lighted. Also has remote sensor for temperature. Attaches with Velcro. Size is 5-1/2" L x 1" H x 3/4" D.
      It was originally made for cars and trucks, so doesn't have a "motorcycle price". I have used mine long enough that I feel comfortable in recommending it. It has so many functions it seems like an inexpensive toy, but it has been reliable and useful in its primary voltmeter function. It even has 3 LEDs - red, amber, and green to monitor voltage. The digital LCD display is large and easy to read even in bright sunlight if mounted at the right angle. It is dimly backlit at night, just enough to easily read it without being so bright as to distract from the other instrument displays. The display is on all the time, but draws only 9mA which is not a problem. It isn't waterproof but there has been no problem with water intrusion yet. I made a cover to use in heavy rain, and also wired it so that it's detachable. It's mounted and attached with velcro right over the center of the handlebars.

Comment

Fantastic Piece of Equipment

I cannot thank you enough for putting me onto the Digital volt meter.

I spent more time sorting out the wires to segregate the ignition on off than I did putting it on the bike. Ended up putting the orange wire with the light switch for close proximity.

Everything worked but the first one read 3.5 volts low so it tripped the low voltage alarm.

I talked to California Sport Touring.com and they replaced it with a RMA number in less than a week. The second one works perfectly.

I love this thing. It has a clock and tells me the temp in two places. And three other things....wow.

I cannot thank you enough for this tip. I'll never need a VOM hooked up again.

Doug

Comment

I might just have to upgrade! This sounds like a great piece of instrumentation. Believe it or not, the addition of the clock was one of the most attractive features for me.

Comment

installation question.

I just bought one of these, but now I have a question before I install it:

When you wired it up, did you wire it permenantly 'on'? I hate the idea of resetting the clock every time I start up, but also don't like the idea of draining my battery dead if I don't ride for a week. I would probably not worry so much if it was just the clock, but the LEDs worry me.

Experience comments appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah View Post

When you wired it up, did you wire it permenantly 'on'? I hate the idea of resetting the clock every time I start up, but also don't like the idea of draining my battery dead if I don't ride for a week. I would probably not worry so much if it was just the clock, but the LEDs worry me.

Experience comments appreciated.
              Its only the LCD display that is on when bike is off..LEDs only come on when switched on by ignition. A week of not riding with this setup has not been a problem for me. I also have it wired with a quick disconnect for longer periods of storage or when I wash the bike.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks! the pic was great too. Two more questions:

did you wire it up inside the headlight bucket?
                did you hand-make the bracket you attached it to, and if so, just glue it onto the shift indicator?

Great job.

Comment

Thanks! the pic was great too. Two more questions:

did you wire it up inside the headlight bucket?
                  did you hand-make the bracket you attached it to, and if so, just glue it onto the shift indicator?

Great job.

No glue or bracket....it comes with velcro and just sticks on.
                  However I did buy some heavy duty velcro for added strength.

I did not wire into bucket...wires come down to bottom of triple tree where I have a quick disconnect. Than they go up under tank...one to ground...one to battery and one to "switched on" at fuse box.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99 View Post
                    No glue or bracket....it comes with velcro and just sticks on.
                    However I did buy some heavy duty velcro for added strength.

I did not wire into bucket...wires come down to bottom of triple tree where I have a quick disconnect. Than they go up under tank...one to ground...one to battery and one to "switched on" at fuse box.
                    EXCELLENTAMUNDO. Kinda wierd how you get it to 'stand up' like that... but it looks good. Muchasgracias. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
                      I cannot thank you enough for putting me onto the Digital volt meter.

I spent more time sorting out the wires to segregate the ignition on off than I did putting it on the bike. Ended up putting the orange wire with the light switch for close proximity.

Everything worked but the first one read 3.5 volts low so it tripped the low voltage alarm.

I talked to California Sport Touring.com and they replaced it with a RMA number in less than a week. The second one works perfectly.

I love this thing. It has a clock and tells me the temp in two places. And three other things....wow.

I cannot thank you enough for this tip. I'll never need a VOM hooked up again.

Doug
                      You're very welcome, Doug.

I'm glad that you find it as useful as I do.

Comment

Just ordered one today ... thanks!

Comment

Works for me.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

holy info center, batman!

WOW! That looks like the cockpit of a B-52! What sorta machine is that??

WAY COOL.
                            \\/

Comment

Just don't use the Orange wire then. The little battery symbol over the V symbol increases and decreases too.

In daylight with sunglasses on you can't see the Colored LED's anyhow so whether you use them or not is not important. That's all neato with the accent lighting to see the numbers at night. This uses no amperage and would run a year without being a problem....especially if you left a trickle charger hooked up in the off weeks. If I were going to store the bike a long time I would remove the battery anyhow so moot point. Certainly a month wouldn't be an issue.

You are right the clock is the only issue on a reboot situation. You will have difficulty finding a constantly hot wire you want to tap up front unless someone else has all ready done that for a radio or add on like mine which has a vetter faring with loads of wiring to tap. The windshield dash protects mine so flooding isn't an issue either. Otherwise you need a raincoat or you just found a new use for the boot you carry in your wallet:-D

The right phillips screw marked + at the bottom of my fuse block is fused and made the best place to pick up the constant juice for a reliable Voltage reading. The bottom two fuses on my 81 GS750 are constantly hot and the upper 3 are off the ignition switch. The left side of the fuses bypasses all the fuses so watch where you tap off for any new wires.

They give you at least 6ft of thin wires so you can run the pickups all the way to the fuse block if need be.

Comment

Working...
                              X