Hot Grips vs. Symtec Grip Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    I haven't tried this yet, but over on ADVrider.com they swear that gloves or glove liners made with a phase changing material like Outlast will actually conduct heat around your hands. Phase change materials actually store heat and slowly release it, and if there's a heat source, they'll distribute the heat and evenly release it.
    I have a pair of these type of gloves, made by Swix and marketed for cross country skiers. They are thin and the instant you put them on they start to radiate heat like you wouldn't believe. I don't have heated grips on my bike, but I do on my sled, and it's amazing how thin these gloves are and how cold I wear them on the sled. 10F and riding in snow dust all day and they are still toasty warm. The heat just radiates through them. The downfall is they are made really lightweight and if any nasty weather shows up I need to go to a truly waterproof shell. These are just nylon and can soak through, not good on a sled. But for most days they are perfect.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      They look exactly like Kimpex heaters, which many people have had problems with. These may or may not be the same, and they may or may not share the Kimpex quality problems. Dunno. I'm just sayin'.

Plus, they use a resistor (when the grips are switched to low, the resistor absorbs some of the electrical energy so the grips don't get as hot) -- you have to find a safe place to mount a hot resistor and run an extra set of wires to it.

Personally, I much prefer the simplicity of the Symtec setup, which does not use a resistor (there are three wires on each grip, and thus two heater circuits). It also doesn't waste electrical energy when the grips are on low, not that that's a big concern, but it bugs me.

Also, I finally found a set of phase change glove liners at REI, and they definitely do keep hands much warmer than they have any right to. I need to experiment a little more -- they make my usual winter gloves pretty tight, so I'll have to try some different gloves from my collection.
      Last edited by bwringer; 12-20-2008, 04:53 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        They look exactly like Kimpex heaters, which many people have had problems with. These may or may not be the same, and they may or may not share the Kimpex quality problems. Dunno. I'm just sayin'.

Duly noted, thanks.
        And to clarify, Symtec specifically makes 2 types of grip heaters...one for a mc and one for an atv, correct?
        The local dealer had a set for $37 in stock but it was the atv model, so I held off buying. They said it should work, but...????

Comment

The Symtec heaters for motorcycles are made to put out more heat on the clutch side. The throttle tube on the other side helps keep the metal handlebars from stealing the heat away, but on the clutch side, the heater needs to put out more heat to compensate.

However, I put a layer of heat shrink tubing on the clutch side (it's held on with a little weatherstripping cement inside) before I stuck the grip on to help keep the heater away from the bar a bit. My Symtec heaters read within 2 degrees of each other.

Hotgrips are all identical -- when you order a set, it comes with a plastic sleeve to insert between the grip and the bar on the clutch side.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just ordered the Symtec ones you recommended, bwringer, through the dealer for the same price minus the $11 shipping. I'll use my existing grips, which I already took off for prep.

Comment

follow up

Other than a few warmups in the barn, I haven't really tested out the newly installed heater grips. Today, I got out for a 15 mile ride in 30 degree weather. Although I could feel both grips warm up on hi and low, it wasn't like they got comfy hot. I was wearing a lighter, flexible, windproof mitten with a thinner leather palm. My fingers are much happier mainly because of the mittens, but I was a little disappointed in the heater's effect. Maybe I'll have to change out the foam coated handgrips that I kept on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                Other than a few warmups in the barn, I haven't really tested out the newly installed heater grips. Today, I got out for a 15 mile ride in 30 degree weather. Although I could feel both grips warm up on hi and low, it wasn't like they got comfy hot. I was wearing a lighter, flexible, windproof mitten with a thinner leather palm. My fingers are much happier mainly because of the mittens, but I was a little disappointed in the heater's effect. Maybe I'll have to change out the foam coated handgrips that I kept on the bike?
                Have you measured the voltage the heaters are getting? My Symtec heaters work much better now that I added a relay. They were getting under 10V before, which means they were putting out about half as much heat as they do at 13V. (P=V^2/R and all.)

Comment

In addition to double checking the voltage they're receiving, I'd definitely change out the foam grips. There's a reason why various types of foam are used for insulation and in coolers! Go with a rubber grip of some sort and you'll probably get better heat transfer to your hands.

Regards,

Comment

Any of the thinner "gel" style grips will give you much better heat transfer. And, of course, make sure you use a relay so you get full voltage.

Don't wire them to the headlight wire according to the instructions, and for the sake of all that's right and good, don't use those %$#@! stupid Scotch-Lok wire taps. Ever.

On the VX (Symtec grip heaters) I put on a set of ProGrip 761 grips each fall, and then in the late spring swap in a pair of the thick Sunline Touring grips I prefer ergonomically. However, heat output is about half with the thick grips.

On the GS (Hot Grips), I roll on a set of foam Grip Puppies for the summer.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

Now, just so you don't think I'm dense, I wanted to see what effect the existing grips with foam coverings had on blocking the heat. Finding that answer, I carefully peeled the foam off with a razor to exposed the plain, clean, ribbed rubber grip underneath and will see what happens. I also used the horn circuit as suggested by some to feed the heaters. I did get a reading of 10.6v at the horn compared to 12.65v at the battery posts(key on - engine off) prior to doing this. But as mentioned this may not suffice in lieu of a dedicated relay circuit.

Comment

Working...
                      X