Feeler gauges, Harbor Freight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler gauges, Harbor Freight

I was trying my first-ever valve adjustment, seeing which feeler is the largest that will fit between the cam and the shim. Only one had enough clearance to insert the 0.001"/0.025mm shim. To verify my measurements, I bought a shim a bit smaller than the ones in use, put it in each valve and re-measured. The numbers from the first set of measurements didn't correlate at all with the numbers from the second set. Being *n*l retentive, I checked the thicknesses of the feeler gauges with my micrometer. All were at least 0.001" thicker than marked, and the 0.008" gauge measured 0.018". This was a Harbor Freight set of feelers. I also have a set on Snap-On feelers, the inexpensive ones. Those agree with my micrometer within a reasonable margin of error. So I'll repeat the measurement with those, and all will be well [-o<

This is being cross-posted in Technical Info.

Tom
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan
Working...
X