$100 motorcycle GPS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
    The Idea I like about a GPS is that I could go out on a ride with out any car on where I am going. Then when I finally get done and want to go home I can just tell the GPS to show me the way.
    Very handy to find gas. I used mine just today for exactly that purpose while out exploring. In this regard, it's not really any different than carrying a very detailed map.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

where's the firmware update? can't seem to locate it.

Comment

nevermind....found it

Comment

megellan needs to fix thier website.. its tough trying to find info in there

Comment

Great Magellan customer service, too...

My Roadmate 2200T started acting funny, after installing the firmware upgrade with the Crossover conversion and updated maps. The screen image dropped off half a line at the bottom, sometimes it booted up in northward orientation rather than as I was facing, etc.

I called Magellan, since this was about 75 days into the refurb 90 day warranty period. The rep offered to repair it, with an estimated 21 day turnaround. I asked whether a replacement could be sent faster, so I'd be without it more briefly, but said that either option was acceptable. After conferring with a supervisor, he shipped a newer, refurbished Crossover model itself! (In fact, he ordered it into shipping before coming back on line with me.) And he was fine with me keeping and using the converted Roadmate until receiving the replacement Crossover, which I received in the predicted 5 business days.

On its arrival, I noticed that the Crossover didn't have the newer version 2 maps I'd bought for the Roadmate. These cost $80, but can only be installed on the serial number they were purchased for. So I called back, and asked if they'd send me the v. 2 maps for this Crossover. The answer was yes, just as quickly. I returned the Roadmate the same day. They only wanted the GPS unit itself, so now I own 2 sets of the included accessories, which may come in very handy along the way.

I hope no one else buying the Roadmate 2200T I recommended has such problems with the unit. But it is really impressive how far beyond the warranty terms Magellan went, and with such alacrity, to replace my unit ASAP with the current improved one, complete with upgrades. WOW!

Haven't received my rebate yet, but after this, I don't even care.

Comment

I recently picked up two streetpilot 2720's off e-bay. Both were used and missing some accessories. The 2720 is a discontinued model, similar to their 2820( but without all the bells and whistles), and it is was made for motorcycles. It's a basic model but is perfect for exploring on the bike. I got one for $92 and the other for $75. I'm going to mount one on the motorcycle and use the other one in the car. I think the vendor was 2nd turn. I was able to update the firmware and the maps to the latest versions without any problems. RAM makes motorcycle mounts for this model and garmin has lots of accessories. I'm really happy so far with both units. I've tried numerous times to get myself lost but the 2720 always reroutes me to the destination.

Comment

"out of stock"
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

So this $100 GPS is now a paper-weight. On a car trip it suddenly acted as if I was touching the screen in random places and doing all kinds of weird things. This happened about once every 30 minutes. Then today on a 4 1/2 hour motorcycle ride it did this constantly.

Comment

Here's a better price.

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Comment

Garmin 2720

Guys ,
                      Over on another site I frequent either inthe tech or gadget pages there is an offer for "new' refurbed by Garmin, and I may be wrong on model 2720 or 2820....its a complet unit, car set up software and all.....you would need motorcycle specific monut but last price was 129. with a warranty from Garmin...that aint bad!
                      Rodm850g
                      p.s.
                      Sport-Touring.net

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                        So this $100 GPS is now a paper-weight. On a car trip it suddenly acted as if I was touching the screen in random places and doing all kinds of weird things. This happened about once every 30 minutes. Then today on a 4 1/2 hour motorcycle ride it did this constantly.
                        Now that this thread's back, an update: I called Magellan 3 days after my warranty expired and the day after my last post and they replaced the touchscreen and it works again. Hopefully it will last longer this time.

Comment

How long of a warranty do they offer, anyway? 3 Months?

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                            How long of a warranty do they offer, anyway? 3 Months?
                            90 days. Not very much.

Comment

Working...
                            X