Bad tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad tires

So i bought tires from DK & without listening to all the tire threads , I just got kenda (cheap...$100 for the set). Being that im not a "peg scraper" i didnt think it mattered what tire i used . Well ....DONT BUY KENDA TIRES!!!!!After 300 ish miles (should be well broken in) i got caught in a rain storm & COULD NOT STOP THE BIKE!. Both tires kept locking up (Granted it was a heavy down pour)every time i let off & grabbed the brake again they locked up. Also it was such a downpour that visibility was not good so i was riding at less than 40 mph.& it was not a panic stop.i made it to work but had to drive like i was on ice !

FYI...the date codes are current ..(o7 & 08). Tire pressure is spot on.They are the stock sizes & were put on the rim in the right direction (rotation arrows).
    I called DK & they said to send them back for inspection . Im going to but, now i lost $ for the swap from the dealer like $85 & i will have to buy new tires cause i cant wait for this to be resolved & have no ride!
    Ill post what happens in the future

Vinny

Wow, I never would have guessed that cheap tires would have made THAT much of a difference.....

Comment

I guess with tires you really get what you pay for.

Comment

I bought a 1979 GS1000 that came with Kendas on it, and they are total cr@p! This bike has understeer compared to my 1978 GS750, which I sold to buy this bike. The 750 handled great, especially for 30-year-old technology. I'm hoping that going over to Dunlops or something else good will help with the understeer and generally unstable feel. Everything is torqued correctly, inflated properly, all is good, but I HATE the Kendas!
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Your tyres are arguably the most important thing on your bike.That tiny oval of contact with the road is the difference between fun and sheer terror.Skimp on other stuff but NOT your rubber.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Amen, brother!
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Thanks

Good posts and good to know. By the way, I had a problem with a R/R I bought from Dennis Kirk and they were really nice about it. It was defective and they went over and beyond the call of duty to take care of it. I was impressed!
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

What model of Kenda tire? They are not all the same. For example, there is lots of positive feedback on the Cheng Shin Hi Max tires but lots of bad comments on the Marquis. Go figure.

I've got Kenda's on my 850 (installed by previous owner) and they seem fine in the dry. Haven't tried them yet in the wet...and maybe won't after reading about this problem.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I always had the belief that you should spend as much as possible on tires as you can afford, but many here that I trust have much praise for the Cheng Shin tires.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

After one too many harsh lessons with cheaper tires, I choose to side with buying the best tire possible.

If you cannot afford a better tire, then wait until you can. Skip a hamburger or beer and save the money to save your life.

You have only two safety items on your bike that truly matter and they are both round and black. EVERYTHING depends on them.

Even with Canadian prices being at least twice that of USA for identical tires, I will always buy the best tire for the purpose.
                    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Wet

One thing I read recently (one of the many things I didn't know) is that a tire that handles very well in dry conditions may be terrible in wet conditions. I would have thought there would be some consistency but evidently not.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

It's important tires are matched to the bike - many of the older bikes require ribbed or semi-ribbed front tires to avoid the front-end wandering on some roads.

Tire pressure is very important - different brands work best at slightly different pressures.

Matching tires front to back is very important. While some mixes of different brand tires (or different styles of tires within a manufacturer) may work, most do not.

Selecting the correct size helps handling as well. Many riders want to stuff the widest tire they can fit on the back - but the reality is most times this makes for a poor handling bike. Not only is the correct width important, but changing profile of tires can adversely impact handling too.

I like the feel of Dunlop D404 on smaller bike, I run GT501's on my performance bikes.

I like Continental tires, but I don't think they are worth the money - very expensive.

I used to run Avon Roadrunner tires when I lived in England and liked them in the wet - but I have not found a source for the sizes I would need on my bikes.

I have yet to find a Michelin tire I like - they always feel like they are sliding on the road - never firmly planted.

I used to run Pirelli tires on my turbo bike - great sticky tires, but the life was VERY short.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                          It's important tires are matched to the bike - many of the older bikes require ribbed or semi-ribbed front tires to avoid the front-end wandering on some roads.

Tire pressure is very important - different brands work best at slightly different pressures.

Matching tires front to back is very important. While some mixes of different brand tires (or different styles of tires within a manufacturer) may work, most do not.

Selecting the correct size helps handling as well. Many riders want to stuff the widest tire they can fit on the back - but the reality is most times this makes for a poor handling bike. Not only is the correct width important, but changing profile of tires can adversely impact handling too.

I like the feel of Dunlop D404 on smaller bike, I run GT501's on my performance bikes.

I like Continental tires, but I don't think they are worth the money - very expensive.

I used to run Avon Roadrunner tires when I lived in England and liked them in the wet - but I have not found a source for the sizes I would need on my bikes.

I have yet to find a Michelin tire I like - they always feel like they are sliding on the road - never firmly planted.

I used to run Pirelli tires on my turbo bike - great sticky tires, but the life was VERY short.
                          Some good points here Jeff.

Your last comment rings true for a lot of us who swear by Pirelli Sport Demons. These tyres front and rear with the correct pressures really suit an agressive riding style, but you pay the price with wear rate. They are also very predictable in wet conditions.
                          I had a scarey moment some months back in dry conditions, when I was very glad I had chosen to pay the extra money. I only get 5000 kms out of a rear tyre and thats without smoking the rear. Better that the tyre looses its life at an earlier age than yourself!!
                          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Bad tires

Guys,
                            I've owned and ridden the same 79 GS850GN since 1983. It came with Dunflop 491 touring tires....they did not last welland did not inspire a bit of confidence in the wet. I tried the Continental but they had little endurance,and the front cupped. I tried Michelin M48s loved em but they didn't last either....Tried an IRC{Iriquois Rubber Co} dont recall model but trhe 130-9017 scrubbed the shaft housing.
                            I had spent some time working in an indeoendent shop that carried the C/S and a few other lower brand tires and on advice of the owner I tried the Bridgestone line of tires. S11 I believe it is...I notice a lot of guys run a 100-90 front, the owners manual called for a 110{3.50} 19 front and stock rear was a 4.50-90-17. I stayed with the OEM front reccomendation
                            but went tothe 13{510} -90-17 rear. They have been in the business of a dual tread compound tire foe a long time and I get decent mileage from these tires and their handling in the wet is superb. a set of these tires is about 120 usd if you do a search or two....like the fellow said the two most important dsaftey items are the tires....I may not buy 93 octane gas but I'll buy the best tire I can for my bike...I hate to think how much I have invested in this bike over the last 25 years.When it comes to my life or my bike the best isn't good enough.......

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              I always had the belief that you should spend as much as possible on tires as you can afford, but many here that I trust have much praise for the Cheng Shin tires.
                              Cheng Shin HiMax tires -- the best tire value for the money, in miles per dollar. They perform quite well, and I'm a rather aggressive rider.

Comment

Working...
                              X