Any experience with Vetter Hippo Hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with Vetter Hippo Hands?

I've been giving alot of thought to picking up a pair of Hippo Hands for 2 reasons but would like some feedback before I do. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience riding with these would post their opinion of them. Also, if anyone has a used pair in ANY condition that they'd like to get rid of, please PM me. I want to get a pair to use as a pattern and to improve upon, if possible.
    Thanks.
    Willie in TN
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Don't know if this might be interesting to you, but scootworks.com offers a product called PolarHands that looks the same as the old Hippo Hands to me. A guy on another forum swears by them.

Scroll to the bottom.

Comment

interesting.. and I just order a pair of gloves too..lol Well it can be plan B.. thanks for the link

Comment

I have used them in the NY winters years ago and swear by them.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I had a pair when I lived in VT but found it kind of strange not to be able to see my hands. Just a little disconcerting. Could just be me
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I still have a pair of Hippo Hands...bought new, used one day. They work well as far as cold went, but I was not comfortable with them on the pull-back bars I had on the 1100G, (which were later transferred to the GK, because I like the bars) so the Hippo Hands were set aside in the garage.

I thought about putting them on the Bandit last year but decided against that because I am not at all comfortable riding the Bandit on snow or ice on regular tires.

You can also try this site:
            Hippo Hands are the original motorcycle hand cover. They keep hands warm and dry while riding in inclement weather by shedding wind, rain, sleet and snow. Ride with warm hands on cold days. Extend your riding season!

The Canadian company apparently owns the name "Hippo Hands" now, presumably chosen because it was well-known and Vetter no longer has a trademark claim to it.

The on-line comments say these new ones are not identical to the original product, but they seem to have good reviews.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I have an upholstery biz so I think I'll try to make a pair. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just improve upon it if I can. I liked the info on the scootworks site. Thanks for posting the link to it.
              I'll be sure to post pics, info and riding review if I make a pair for my bike.
              Willie in TN
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                I had a pair when I lived in VT but found it kind of strange not to be able to see my hands. Just a little disconcerting. Could just be me

not just you...i think id rather my hands be a bit cool than ride around with them inside the little blanket things...but thats just my opinion.

Comment

I have a set.. they work but not that great & I didn't like them getting in the way of the controls. Hard to put on a GS because of the mirrors, the velcro interferes with the kill switch.

$15+shipping I'll send you my set. Virtually brand new.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X