No announcement yet.

Real Gaskets Incorporated - Silicone gaskets for valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered mine tonight and hope to see it shortly after Christmas. Let's go priority mail!

Steve

Comment

Just a suggestion on the "bolt backing out" concern. In my opinion, putting loctite on the threads could create it's own issues. My solution would be to clean the valve cover bolt holes extra-carefully the next time you have it off and then use just a touch of RTV silicone on each bolt where it contacts the cover (not inside the threads).

Even if the direct bond "breaks", between the bolt head and the cover, the "rubberiness" of the stuff should prevent the bolts from backing out until you are ready to take them out -- and cleanup of each bolt should be a breeze before reassembly.

On a separate but related note, my '80 GS550 is currently running on a high temp "form-a-gasket" that I used without ever considering buying an OEM replacement. I've used the stuff so many times on a variety of engines (without ever having a problem) that I don't hesitate to grab a tube when I need it.

I've heard other's express concern that pieces will break off and clog the oil channels, but I'm extremely skeptical that this ever becomes a problem. If you use the stuff very sparingly and allow it to cure properly before starting up the motor, it's not going to go anywhere. Just try and pull apart a piece of excess silicone after it's cured and you'll quickly realize that it won't break off unless you really tug at it. Inside the valve cover nothing is going to disturb it, even if you use a bit too much and there's a bead inside the seam.

Happy Motoring!
      Steve 8)

Comment

I was just curious if anyone had found a reasonably price inch pound torque wrench. The only one I have starts at about 50 inch lbs.

I was just curious if anyone had one to torque the silicone valve cover s with when using the silicone gaskets.

Mike

Comment

I don't know Mike, 15 inch pounds is only 1 foot pound. I bet a doorknob takes more torque to open.

Oh yeah, I chose Priority Post to ship my gasket and they charged me 12$USD!!!! I mean, how much space does a wad of silicone take up? :x For that price I hope to see a set of implants in the envelope too...

Steve

Comment

Mike,

I found a 1/4 inch torque wrench at Harbor Freight but it only goes down to 20 inch pounds. Still, it's closer than what you have and it is only $27.99.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

ah, just a little update here guys on the realgasket problem. Harold (who had the flu for a week or two) had his other guy working on my gasket. he offered to powder-coat my valve cover as a favor for me sending him the valve cover. i declined nicely, and he's sending me the valve cover and new gasket 2-day priority Fedex.

any of you wanting this gasket, but not shown on his site, can get one made by sending him the parts. it may be a month turn around, but during the winter you probably can manage.

Harold also made the upper cam-breather cover gasket as well for my bike.

~Adam

Comment

Okay, now I have an update too.

I got my gasket today with a little note from Harold telling me he'd been through Sudbury quite a few times back in the 50s. Anyway, the stamp on the envelope somewhat reflected the cost of shipping so no complaints there.

When putting on the gasket I decided to wing it. I really doubt that a clicker torque wrench would "click" at 12 inch/pounds anyway. I bet it wouldn't click until 60 which would ruin the gasket. It seems to me that 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn past snug is a good torque. You can see the silicone begin to squirm at this point and the bolt is fairly tight.

Could somebody with a high-end torque wrench confirm this?

Thanks, Steve

Comment

I have a zero to 80 ft/lb wrench. Set on 1 to 2 ft/lb it does not take much to make it click. I would think that 1/8th past finger tight would be about right, as long as the bolt was well lubricated. At these low settings friction can add a lot. The cam cover bolts are only 7 ft/lb and need only a 1/4 turn past finger tight

Comment

Thia is a little anal, but it can be used to do very low inch -lb torquing. They used to have small spring loaded hanging scales to measure postal weight. If you can locate one, put a verifed 16 oz weight on it and see what it reads (you are calibrating the scale), then put your wrench on the offending bolt, tie the scale 15 inches from the end of the wrench that is on the bolt, then pull on the loose end of the scale until it reads one pound or 16 ounces. If you do not have a wrench that is at least 15 inches long, tie the scale 7.5 inches from the bolt and pull util the scale reads 2 pounds (32 Inches).

I know, I know...THAT"S ANAL!!! But I'm an engineer...I can't help it!

Hap

Comment

I remember those hanging scales....................but we didn't use them for measuring MAIL!

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

You'd probably be better off with a torque screwdriver. I have a K-D model that goes down to 10 inch-pounds. I bought it for working on radio base stations that use steel screws threaded into an aluminum frame for securing circuit cards. They take the same hex bits as a cordless drill, so you can buy a hex to 1/4" drive adapter for using sockets.

Any electronics dealer should be able to either sell or order you one. Mine was pricey at $175 (but Uncle Sam paid me back for it). It's a sweet microadjustable model made from billet aluminum - I'm sure you could find less pricey units with plastic bodies. Graybar, Grainger, and Fry's Electronics should be good places to start...

-Q!

Comment

Ok I'm going to sound off my ignorance. Why would you use a 15 inch wrench? I thought a foot pound was 1 pound of weight on a 1 foot lever (12 inches)?

Comment

it should hang 12 inches....and even at that, i dont think its a great way to check calibration

Joe...are you being gutter-minded? :P

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                              it should hang 12 inches....and even at that, i dont think its a great way to check calibration

Because 15 in-lbs is the equal of 15 inches of lever with 1 pound of force. Actually, this is VERY accurate and is also how they determine if the calibration on torque wrenches is correct. It is just very awkward.

Sears has in-lb torque screwdrivers but they cost US$149.99...kinda pricey.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                                Originally posted by AOD

Because 15 in-lbs is the equal of 15 inches of lever with 1 pound of force. Actually, this is VERY accurate and is also how they determine if the calibration on torque wrenches is correct. It is just very awkward.

Hap
                                I used to calibrate torque wrenches for a company who manufactured hydraulic fittings for the mining industry. That is exactly the method I used. It is the most accurate method. Remember Science at school, moments clockwise = moments anticlockwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X