No announcement yet.

Real Gaskets Incorporated - Silicone gaskets for valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, how is everybody liking their real gaskets so far? I had my valve cover off for the first time using the "Real Gasket" and I'm happy with it. As usual I did find some more loose bolts (an ongoing problem since you really need to be able to torque them all down at once with a big machine) but there weren't any leaks. Maybe I'll try some star lock washers next time. Anyway, it took me about an hour total to R/R the valve cover and check the valve lash. The reinstall part was as simple as washing the gasket in the sink and using some solvent on the two mating surfaces. The gasket I pulled before took me about 5 hours.

Pros:
    -I can check my cams for damage/lash whenever/whereever I want for free
    -fast, easy and clean prepping of gasket, no need to oil a paper gasket for easy removal
    -No trips required to order/pickup new gasket
    -No contamination of engine with loose paper or sandpaper grit.

Cons:
    -placing and replacing gasket while snugging down valve cover is 1 step above brain surgery so it can't be rushed
    -overtightening the gasket will cut it
    -always loose bolts

I feel that it is a great product overall. It would be nice if it used a denser material but I still won't consider going back to paper gaskets.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
      So, how is everybody liking their real gaskets so far? I had my valve cover off for the first time using the "Real Gasket" and I'm happy with it. As usual I did find some more loose bolts (an ongoing problem since you really need to be able to torque them all down at once with a big machine) but there weren't any leaks. Maybe I'll try some star lock washers next time. Anyway, it took me about an hour total to R/R the valve cover and check the valve lash. The reinstall part was as simple as washing the gasket in the sink and using some solvent on the two mating surfaces. The gasket I pulled before took me about 5 hours.

Pros:
      -I can check my cams for damage/lash whenever/whereever I want for free
      -fast, easy and clean prepping of gasket, no need to oil a paper gasket for easy removal
      -No trips required to order/pickup new gasket
      -No contamination of engine with loose paper or sandpaper grit.

Cons:
      -placing and replacing gasket while snugging down valve cover is 1 step above brain surgery so it can't be rushed
      -overtightening the gasket will cut it
      -always loose bolts

I feel that it is a great product overall. It would be nice if it used a denser material but I still won't consider going back to paper gaskets.

Steve
      I haven't had any loose bolts since I went back over them after a couple hundred miles. Are you using a torque wrench to tighten them? Maybe getting even torque helps. I got a Park Tools TW-1 torque wrench through a friend of mine that owns a bicycle shop. It is calibrated from 0-60 inch-pounds. I torque from the middle of the valve cover towards the outside alternating left/right and front/back. I also do it in steps rather than all in one tightening.

I am pleased with the Real Gasket.

That being said, the gasket I removed when I installed the Real Gasket is in such good shape that I saved it to be used in a pinch. It had been on the bike for quite a few years. When I installed it I coated both sides with high temp grease. I also recently pulled my stator cover after quite a few years and the gasket, which had also had the grease coating, could have been re-used too.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
      X