Blue Ant Interphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Ant Interphone

I just spent my first weekend with the BlueAnt Interphone bluetooth/bike to bike intercome device. In making my decision, I had a handful of criteria in mind:

1) Bluetooth -- I wanted a unit I could interface with my phone

2) Bike to Bike Intercom -- I wanted at least a few hundred feet for chatting while I ride, preferably full-duplex

3) Not too expensive -- I was buying a pair (the second as a gift for a friend) so the cheaper the better

After reading a few reviews, I decided on the Interphone, it met my criteria (Bluetooth, 500ft range for b2b, about $115.00 each on Amazon)

The Interphone mounts on the side of the helmet, either via a clamp-on bracket, or a permanent adhesive plate. Using either method, the actual device clips on and off of the mount with a simple press of a button.

I held a couple of bluetooth conversations and a couple of hours of chatting with my buddy. My wife (on the other end of the phone conversation) said it sounded like I was in the car with the window down, but that she could understand me and I could hear her (although I did end up adjusting the volume a bit). I have a modular helmet, and was traveling 45-55 mph during our conversation, my buddy has a similar helmet. We tested the intercom on some twisty roads and on the interstate, up to about 70 mph and a range of about 250' without any problems. Using the intercom, there would sometimes be some wind noise. The noise would happen not while we were talking, but during quiet points in the conversation.

Pros/Cons:

Pros -- Good noise rejection, easy to attach, good volume, good value.

Cons -- Initial pairing for Bike to Bike intercom is kind of like voodoo, but only needs to be done once, no 3-way conversations via intercom (some more expensive units allow 3 riders to talk at the same time), only one speaker (not stereo)

For my purposes, I couldn't have been more pleased with these units.

Spadefoot Recommended!!

nice unit. The only other thing that I would like to see on it would be an input for an MP3 player or Sirius radio or something.

I'm looking at getting a 2 person unit that doesn't go between bikes but allows me to plug my sirius radio into it and it's only $60 for one, two person unit instead of $115 each for both unit.

Comment

Nice review spadefoot

which one you looking at mighty13d?

Comment

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

it's only passenger/rider communications but I usually only riding with a passenger, not with a lot of other riders.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000388102

it's only passenger/rider communications but I usually only riding with a passenger, not with a lot of other riders.
          If I could convince my wife to ride with me, that might be an option. I've only been riding a year now, and she doesn't yet trust my skills.

Comment

I would get a little more riding experience before I would take somebody on the bike that didn't have confidence in my skills. A passenger who doesn't trust your skills will react poorly during maneuvers and could cause accidents.

But on another point. My wife actually hated our intercom system, when she wants to talk to me she bonks my helmet with her helmet then presses her faceplate against the back of my helmet when she speaks. It works for us

Comment

Talking with the wife? I don't do it at home, why should I on the bike?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post

when she wants to talk to me she bonks my helmet with her helmet

sounds like most of my discussions with my wife. I just don't get the luxury of a helmet.
                Last edited by four_shot; 06-10-2009, 12:18 AM.
                Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                1979 GS850GN
                sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  Talking with the wife? I don't do it at home, why should I on the bike?
                  HAHA!!

It would be kinda cool to have a B2B unit for rallies. Bluetooth would be nice, too. I could use my bike more during work hours.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                  X