Two idiot parts dealers BB and Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two idiot parts dealers BB and Alpha

I needed a stator and gasket for my 1979 GS 1000. Since Z1 didn't have a Suzuki gasket, I checked BikeBandit, which had both, but they mostly order what you need as you order, it wouldn't be 3-5 business days until the items SHIPPED, and even with 2nd Day Shipping, so total time would 6-10 business days. So much for "Get it fast!" I ordered the stator directly from Rick's, and even though it was a little more expensive for the stator, the shipping was free, so it ended up cheaper than Bike Bandit, and I had it in 2 days. Score one for Rick's. I ordered the gasket from Alpha-Sports, which doesn't offer expedited shipping, but they said from NH to PA would be about 3 business days. But they have a $20 minimum,without the shipping, so I filled the order out with a K&N oil filter. (I know; the K&N is probably way overpriced and no better than most OEM or aftermarket.)I ordered, and they told me it would ship that afternoon. That was Wednesday morning. No gasket arrived Friday or Saturday, so I call them up on Monday morning, told them I hadn't heard anything, not even a shipping notice. I had my email open so I had the invoice number available. They said that the oil filter was backordered, and they had sent me an email, which I assured them I had never received. I settled on an item so they would ship that day, then as I'm on the phone with them, up pops an email from them telling me my order was delayed, with a time stamp about a minute before. Still waiting on a gasket, have the stator and R/R ready to install. D@MN! I want to ride!
    1979 GS 1000

who or what is Rick's???

and yeah.... the worst part of these old bikes is waiting for the parts. Can't even imagine what it was like before the internet.

Comment

Rick's Motorsports makes replacement stators for many kinds of bikes, and I ordered right from them. And before the internet, these bikes were much newer, and parts were less of a problem, though I don't think people were grafting very different stuff (like GSXR forks and wheels and brakes). Improved forks were available that slipped right into your triple-trees.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

before the internet I would have been driving whatever I could find for sale in my home town's paper, which would be a 1986 v45 magna with 60,000km for $4500 as of today, it would need a million things which I would trust the dealer to install for me as I am a newb, and then i would be broke and have a crappy bike with all the parts installed wrong...

Comment

John, why didn't you just order it from your local dealership? Sounds like it wouldn't have cost you any more and you would probably have it by now.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            John, why didn't you just order it from your local dealership? Sounds like it wouldn't have cost you any more and you would probably have it by now.
            That's what we did, back before the Internet.

Always worth a call - I was looking for something recently, no one had it in stock, but it was in the warehouse -2-3 days to me at the dealer
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Bruce, the "local" dealer is about 20 miles of very congested highway away, and the next nearest is about 50 miles away. I called a couple of local shops, guys I know, and they all said that I'd get it quicker by ordering off the Internet. Seems like you have better access out there in the country than I do here in the big city!
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

You could always get some gasket material and cut one out, that is what I did, it is really easy, takes maybe 10 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                  You could always get some gasket material and cut one out, that is what I did, it is really easy, takes maybe 10 minutes
                  That would be my solution, until I got an OEM one from somewhere.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had the same problem with both of these guys latele. BB showed an item as being in stock but once I placed the order I find out its really on back order. And with Alpha I paid an extra $20 or so for express shipping but they sat on it for 6 DAYS and then shipped it. I wouldnt recomend either of these places.

Comment

DEALERS SUCK! they make a mass of $$$$$ on you and I, even though they get the correct part.
                      Before the internet I spent pounds (UK) on petrol going to motorcycle breakers finding parts for my GS's....

Comment

I have had a bad experience with BikeBandit. Will never use them again. But that's another story. Never used Alpha.

John, if your budget allows it, why not order up your own stock of spare parts? Then when you need it, you already have it. I recently needed to pull the clutch cover to install GS750 oil pump gears. Had the gasket on the shelf, ready Freddy. The next time I needed to order stuff (from Flatout), I included a replacement gasket for my inventory.

Most of the spares I aquired by ordering two the first time I needed it.

Comment

Tom, I do some of that; it's why I have a clutch cover gasket for the 1978 GS 750 I no longer own, and Spartite for my sailboat mast that no longer leaks. And I try to order things I know I'll need soon early enough, but sometimes stuff comes up suddenly. The stator is already installed; now if I can just figure out why the bike ran fine off the battery with the bad stator and R/R disconnected, but has weak spark with the new stator installed but not hooked up (I like to check for status before moving on to the next step). I'm sure I disturbed a connection to the Dyna S; one step forward, two steps back. But I'll get there!
                          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                          X