Cheap Bifocals for the Old Dudes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Bifocals for the Old Dudes

I have been wearing contacts for distance for many years and my distance vision is very good. I've also been wearing reading glasses for computer and reading for several years. I have no issue with wearing reading glasses and hearing about it from the youngsters. Their day will come. I also almost always wear sunglasses when riding. My problem is that I can't read a map in my map pocket while riding. I wasn't sure if I'd like bifocals and didn't want to drop the $$$ for prescription bifocal lenses if I wasn't sure I'd like them. I did some research and found these stick-on bifocals for $14.99 shipped. They stick on with water and once dry are very secure. I trimmed mine down just a bit on the top edge as they seemed a bit too high. I used them for the first time at the Brown County Rally this past weekend and must say I'm very impressed. It is very natural to look over the stick-on lenses while riding and through them when looking down at the tank bag. I can now read maps and see the display on my XM Radio Clearly while riding. Also, I don't have to switch back and forth from sunglasses and readers while reading maps, at restaurants and when working on bikes. I can also read and operate my cell phone while driving without having to switch glasses. I'll probably get prescription lenses at some point but for $14.99 this has been a successful experiment in my opinion.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Very cool. Im thinking about my safety glasses at work.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Very cool. Im thinking about my safety glasses at work.
      Dave,

One of the sites I found specified safety glasses as an application for these. Also scuba masks for the divers here..............

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Well, now with my expensive tri-focals, when riding, I see the road ahead through the top, the speedo and tach through the middle part of the lense, and my tankbag map through the bottom!...ooohhhh to be young again......at least my wanker still works...I should have listened to Sister Marie Saint Paul in the second grade!!...."you'll go blind doing that!"...."but can I do it til I need glasses?"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          ......I can also read and operate my cell phone while driving without having to switch glasses.
          LMAO. I don't believe you wrote that on here Joe.

Don't you know that cagers on phones are a hazard to motorcyclists?

j/k

Comment

I can also attest to the stick-on lens. During the BC ride I was digging for my reading glasses, when Joe suggested I try his sunglasses. Anyway they work like a charm and I now have some ordered myself.

Nice find , Joe Thank You

-greg
            Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
              LMAO. I don't believe you wrote that on here Joe.

Don't you know that cagers on phones are a hazard to motorcyclists?

j/k
              Yes, I know it's dangerous and I try to minimize cell use in the car but it is sometimes necessary for work duties. I always use a Bluetooth headset and try to keep use to incoming calls only so I don't have my eyes off the road for too long looking up numbers and dialing.........

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Just get a pair of bifocal sunglasses. I had a pair I used before I got my talking GPS in the car. Ive never bought from this link, its just the first that came up. http://boomersintheknow.com/menssunr...FQEuxwod2xoK2Q These are what I wore cause I could use them indoor and out as well as in the shop. http://smarteyes2.stores.yahoo.net/bisaglbisu.html I wore the brown and smoke. $8 and their ANSI rated.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  Well, now with my expensive tri-focals, when riding, I see the road ahead through the top, the speedo and tach through the middle part of the lense, and my tankbag map through the bottom!...ooohhhh to be young again......at least my wanker still works...I should have listened to Sister Marie Saint Paul in the second grade!!...."you'll go blind doing that!"...."but can I do it til I need glasses?"

those are both movies lol, "If you dont stop it you'll go blind", and "Can i do it till i need glasses"

old 70s sex comedies Robin Williams was in the second one

Comment

Originally posted by kilog55 View Post
                    those are both movies lol, "If you dont stop it you'll go blind", and "Can i do it till i need glasses"

old 70s sex comedies Robin Williams was in the second one
                    They ripped the ideas off from the same nuns I had back in the 60's....and you thought I was kidding?...and old Sr. Marie, rest her soul, gets the last laugh, as I'm straining through my tri-focals now, typing this.

Comment

lol yeah those are some odd movies really crude humour in em

Comment

Working...
                      X