Spitfire windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitfire windshield

Finally got mine from BB last week Very easy install, although it seems to be a bit noisy at speed. IIRC, Basscliff has one on his 850, do you find it to be noisy too, or is it just a matter of adjusting it properly? I'll have to post some pictures of the bike with it on later today.

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
    Finally got mine from BB last week Very easy install, although it seems to be a bit noisy at speed. IIRC, Basscliff has one on his 850, do you find it to be noisy too, or is it just a matter of adjusting it properly? I'll have to post some pictures of the bike with it on later today.

The noise very often comes from the angle of deflection. It deflects air uwards so if more air reaches your ears it is noisy, but if you can raise the windhsield sufficiently it will deflect the air at a different angle and much of the air will go over your head, so the ride is quieter.
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Spitfire

I've been debating back and forth about getting one of these for my 650GL. I would be very interested in seeing pics and knowing how difficult it is to adjust and if the adjustments cancel out the noise...

Comment

Hi,

The noise comes from the buffeting your helmet takes from the wind going over the shield. I angle my shield so that my helmet is in clean air but my body is protected. Let's see if I have a picture.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff, would you be so kind as to show us more pictures, particularly from behind the handlebars, and standing in front, looking straight at the windshield? The way I first had it set up, the shield was more straight up and down. This past Friday after work, I turned the mounts around, and mounted the shield at more of an angle. The instruction sheet says to mount them about the same angle as the forks, with the lower part on the top of the headlight mounting. I see you have yours mounted higher, on the instrument cluster. I may have to try that, although since I changed my set up, it's much more smooth, much more quiet. I put a piece of gas line between the shield, both to cushion the shield and to keep the shield from fluttering. The ride to work this morning was much quieter

Comment

Got one on my 650 with Daytonas. Its a little harder to get the same angle I had with the buckhorns but a steeper angle helps a lot.

Comment

I got one last year for my 1100E. It is a bit noisy, but I like the protection. And it's not so large that it ruins the lines of the bike.
              I lost one of the screws that lock the shaft to the clamps on the bars. It probably vibrated out. I replaced it with a stainless steel screw and locking nut from Ace Hardware, no more issues.

Comment

here's how I have mine set up now:

Comment

Hi,

I have the bottom edge of my windshield sitting on my gauges. This allows for a steeper angle. I tried setting it up according to the instructions (same angle as the forks) but there was too much noise from the airflow at my helmet.

Leave everything loose until you get it positioned just right. Move the handlebar clamps up and down, same for the support rods, try pointing the bend in the rods both up and down to get the desired angle. My support rods have the bend pointing down. I'll put up some close-up pictures as soon as I have time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey Basscliff is that the Flyscreen or Streetshield by chance or is it a spitfire version?

Comment

As Ron said, the noise comes from turbulent air deflected off the shield, striking the helmet. It, and the associated buffeting, can be quite annoying. Instead of going Bass Cliff's route and increasing rake angle to leave the helmet in unobstructed airflow, I fabbed up a couple new arms that yielded 2 more inches of vertical adjustment, to route the airflow over the helmet whilst riding with the slightest of crouches, and still not having to look through the screen, as is the case with the larger shields that provide more coverage. This is with a National Cycle Deflector shield, not a Spitfire.
                      One more thing I found, worth mentioning, was that placing the shield bottom atop the gauges, or the headlight, without much of a gap, increases the pressure difference between the front of the shield and the rear, creating a vacuum of sorts, strong enough to suck one's helmet visor open at around 60 mph....leaving a gap between the bottom of the shield and the headlight/gauges that allows air to flow through, helped hugely with this.
                      It takes a fair amount of trial & error to find the angle & height that works best.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                      X