Dyna impressions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna impressions...

I started my weekend off by installing a set of dyna coils, 3 ohm and 7mm dyna wires. Tomorrow I will be installing a dyna S ignition and providing my impression...

Before I changed out my coils, i was already getting good voltage at about 12.8 volts per coil. and I could already get 40+ mpg (when im behaving ) and the bike already seemed to rev decently to redline. But installing the dyna coils and wires has made a noticably improved difference over my stock setup! The rev is much smoother, faster and what seems to be more efficient. Just revving in nuetral I can audibly hear the difference. The exhaust note is cleaner, and more balanced.

My riding impressions backed up those claims. Took a spin through my usual testing grounds. On an inclined straight away, I was able to get to redline in 6th gear with much greater authority over stock. I took it through some of my favorite twisties and the power on a throttle roll on exiting out of a turn was immediately available. Usually I experience a slight power delay following a throttle roll off as the motor takes a split second to rebuild some steam, but now the power is all there immediately even with the slightest blip of the throttle.

Now, im not trying to be a dyna cheerleader or anything, but I read some other posts about what to expect when going to aftermarket coils and I think the general consensus was .."you wont feel anything really, unless your stock coils were bad." I think a lot of people would consider these differences that im describing as minor and I would agree from a certain standoint. However, I do admit that I am a person that pays attention to and values these minor differences because I am a perfectionist in certain ways when it comes to performance. From MY seat of the pants, I would say that the coils and wires have given my motor a more solid, consistent spark resulting in a more linear, predictable and controlable power band. So with that said, I believe the dyna coils are an absolute must for anyone looking to fully maximize the performance and efficiency of their machine.

I will be posting my impressions of the dyna S ignition tomorrow...

A lot of members think that the "coil relay mod" is the answer to every old GS. I agree that you need 12+ volts at the coils. I have installed Dyna coils on dozens of GS Suzuki's. I could tell the difference on every one of them. Even when new, factory GS coils fall short of Dyna's. Dar

Comment

Thanks for the input Dar! im working on the Dyna S right now and im anxious to see the difference. Ive had the bike for 4 years and ive never messed with the timing, at all. She ran okay but i always felt she needed a timing adjustment. Plus, ive had great success with advanced timing in my cars.

Comment

If a person only had enough money for Dyna coils OR a Dyna S, I would say go with the coils. You can feel the difference with the coils. The Dyna S benefits from a set and forget maintenance schedule, and no points float at high RPMs. I wouldn't advance the timing past the factory settings. Dar

Comment

So I got the Dyna S installed. The walk thru off of basscliff's site was more helpful to a layman such as myself than the dynatec instructions were. (probably because it had pictures!) My one complaint is the fact that dynatec could have used a black wire loom instead of a gray! But thats probably more of an issue for me because I painted my motor with black engine paint so the gray really shows up.

After install i noticed another increase in exhaust exit speed. it seemed a tad bit more rev happy and the the higher end, 7-9k range seemed a bit more aggressive than the night before. However, I was not sure i did the static timing correctly so I went and bought a cheap timing light from harbor freight ($15. has thin wires but seems to work okay!). I then adjusted both pick ups till the lines were perefectly lined up. On my test ride, i noticed that the bike seemed a bit tamer but certainly smoother. I should probably see what happens when I try moving the plate but it'll have to wait till tomorrow, im too tired, been messing with the bike since morning! I think im not fully understanding exactly what to look for when im setting the timing with the gun so if anyone has any advice id love to hear it.

Dar, thanks for your input. Im gonna see if I can set it to the factory setting tomorrow if I can figure the damn thing out. But tell me why you would not advance the timing past the factory setting?

Comment

Too much advance can cause detonation. You want to make sure to time it at the full advance mark. Rev the motor above 2500 RPM and check the alignment at the third mark. Not the T or the F but the mark that is not labeled. Dar

Comment

Working...
            X