Babbitt's parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babbitt's parts

i was looking for parts and i saw Babbitt's thru this site. can these guys really get all those parts they claim. the parts that are no longer made?

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
    i was looking for parts and i saw Babbitt's thru this site. can these guys really get all those parts they claim. the parts that are no longer made?
    If it's on the fisch, and they have a price next to the part number they'll get it.
    But keep in mind, if they can get it so can others, maybe even for less money.
    Shop around..
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Babbitt's now advertise 10%-30%- lowest price in the universe guaranteed
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The list of vendors shown on BassCliff's welcome page includes most of the ones on my personal list. He has commentaries on most of them, but I have found that no one of them tends to have the lowest prices all the time. That is why whenever I am looking for parts, I set up a quick spreadsheet and go comparison shopping.

I do know that one place where Babbitt's really loses out is on small parts. They have a policy where there is no part that costs less than $2.97. Using the example of fuel tank mounting hardware for my '80 850G, you need two rubber cushions at the front, one at the rear, then the bolt, washer and rubber parts to anchor the rear. At Babbitt's, those 8 parts will total 23.76. RETAIL price on those parts, according to some other vendors is $13.86. I only checked G&S Suzuki, their cost will total $10.27.

I only happen to know that little detail because i needed those parts for a bike I was putting together. While Babbitt's had better prices on some stuff, the difference on the small parts was enough to send the business elsewhere.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I do know that one place where Babbitt's really loses out is on small parts. They have a policy where there is no part that costs less than $2.97. Using the example of fuel tank mounting hardware for my '80 850G, you need two rubber cushions at the front, one at the rear, then the bolt, washer and rubber parts to anchor the rear. At Babbitt's, those 8 parts will total 23.76. RETAIL price on those parts, according to some other vendors is $13.86. I only checked G&S Suzuki, their cost will total $10.27.
          Always they lose out this way, anytime I want big parts I need a lot more little ones, $3 for a tiny screw is ridiculous. But their website does say they have the lowest price. I wonder if you listed the prices from someone else if they would honor them?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Always they lose out this way, anytime I want big parts I need a lot more little ones, $3 for a tiny screw is ridiculous. But their website does say they have the lowest price. I wonder if you listed the prices from someone else if they would honor them?
            Next time I need a bunch of parts, I'll try sending them a copy of my spreadsheet to see if they will match it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just checked out babbits. I looked up a rear seat cowl for an 82 Katana. They show a price and I added it to the cart. I have not seen any other vendor that has this. All others shown this as being discontinued. I dont believe they have it. If I had the money, I would attempt to order it.

I also just checked, and they show they have a frame available. yeah right.

Comment

Shipping

The one (and only) time I checked, their shipping prices were 'sky high'.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                  I just checked out babbits. I looked up a rear seat cowl for an 82 Katana. They show a price and I added it to the cart. I have not seen any other vendor that has this. All others shown this as being discontinued. I dont believe they have it. If I had the money, I would attempt to order it.

I also just checked, and they show they have a frame available. yeah right.
                  same thing i am seeing and wandering. most places i see don't have much of anything for my bike and Babbitt's claims to have most of everything.

Comment

Babbitt's can't get any parts that other dealers can't. They just don't do a good job updating their website.

I ordered some parts that weren't available elsewhere from Babbitts. They charged my card immediately. In a couple of days, I received an email informing me the parts were no longer available, and my card would be credited.

I used to use them most of the time, other than for little parts. I no longer use them at all. Their customer service has slipped a lot over the past couple years. They've evidently grown their volume of business, but haven't been able to keep up with staffing requirements.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Bike Bandit pulled the same thing with me on some Yamaha parts. It wasted my time and created unnecessary transactions involving my plastic. I've had excellent service with Temecula Motorsports in CA. I give them part numbers, they check it out, then call me back before I make payment. They even managed to sell me a NOS front fender for my '77 750.

Comment

I emailed them months ago for a quote and availability on about $1,000 worth of parts that they showed available and no one did. Never heard back. However, they had good prices.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

What's sad is you can order parts and they will ship you what they can get - and most times it's not the critical parts needed to make a set... you get pistons without rings, master cylinder parts without the piston, etc, etc... ...and you are left with a mix of parts you can't return without incurring restocking fees...

Comment

Why isn't babbitts on the Banned list yet?
                            Something just isn't right with this company....

I've told this before, but I'll tell it again.

I ordered 4 pilot jets and 4 plugs from babbitts.
                            1 week later I received everything but was missing 1 jet.

The paper said there was a "national shortage" on these jets.
                            ( yeah ****ing right.....BS!)

They said they wouldn't charge me until the part was shipped.
                            They didn't charge me, like promised.

But 3 weeks later, BAM, got charged for everything
                            Still no word on my missing jet!

I just said screw it, and didn't see the point of calling them up and complaining over $6.
                            I was just too busy with other **** at the time.

But I know this much.... **** babbitts!
                            Never using them again!

They make up crap excuses and seem very unorganized and shady.

I've been reading a lot of bad reviews and shady results from them.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Babbit's is good, i've delt with them many times on newer current parts. However their website lists all p/ns both current and obsolete. This causes issues as Babbitts will process a NLA obsolete p/n and take your money. Then like other members found out you get an email a few days lated stating the part is NLA.

I like Mr Cycles for my older and possibly NLA parts. Mr Cycles' fiche database is updayed frequently and do in fact delete NLA parts from their fiche.

Find OEM motorcycle and ATV parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Polaris.

Comment

Working...
                              X