Inexpensive replacement for Vetter locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive replacement for Vetter locks

I lost the key to my Windjammer's cover, so I needed a replacement. They are no longer made, so the choice looked to be a used cover. They are often $25+ on eBay plus shipping.

I found a "weather resistant cam lock" on McMaster-Carr. It comes in two versions, one for thinner panels, and one for thicker panels. Both show as installing in a 3/4" hole.

The one for the thinner panels is item #13105A71, and the one for thicker panels is 13105A72. They are $7.15 each plus shipping. Each has three lock arms, with one being about exactly the same as the Vetter piece. I ordered the thinner one, and found it is literally a direct replacement- the diameter and flat spots on the cylinder allow it to drop into place. They also have two cams, one for 1/2 turn either way, or 1/4 turn- which is what the Vetter lock did. The thinner one is a little shorter, so this makes the lock too loose when you use the same arm size as the Vetter lock- you have to flip it upside down relative to how the Vetter one worked to allow it to clear. The thicker one may be a better fit. What I ended up doing with mine was slipping a short length of silicone hose over the locking tab to lessen the gap between it and the fairing. It's tight enough to keep the cover snugly in place, but it could be tighter for my liking.

I'm going to order the thicker one as well and see how it looks. I'll update here if it is a better fit.

My dad took mine to a lock smith and had a key made.

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
    I lost the key to my Windjammer's cover, so I needed a replacement. They are no longer made, so the choice looked to be a used cover. They are often $25+ on eBay plus shipping.

I found a "weather resistant cam lock" on McMaster-Carr. It comes in two versions, one for thinner panels, and one for thicker panels. Both show as installing in a 3/4" hole.

The one for the thinner panels is item #13105A71, and the one for thicker panels is 13105A72. They are $7.15 each plus shipping. Each has three lock arms, with one being about exactly the same as the Vetter piece. I ordered the thinner one, and found it is literally a direct replacement- the diameter and flat spots on the cylinder allow it to drop into place. They also have two cams, one for 1/2 turn either way, or 1/4 turn- which is what the Vetter lock did. The thinner one is a little shorter, so this makes the lock too loose when you use the same arm size as the Vetter lock- you have to flip it upside down relative to how the Vetter one worked to allow it to clear. The thicker one may be a better fit. What I ended up doing with mine was slipping a short length of silicone hose over the locking tab to lessen the gap between it and the fairing. It's tight enough to keep the cover snugly in place, but it could be tighter for my liking.

I'm going to order the thicker one as well and see how it looks. I'll update here if it is a better fit.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The thicker ones arrived today. They are nearly identical to the Vetter lock. Where they differ is in the tab/arm that goes against the fairing to lock the cover in place. The Vetter piece is bent shorter, and cannot be interchanged with the McMaster piece since the square cutout in it is about 1mm smaller inside where it mounts to the cylinder. If you wanted to file it out, you'd have a perfect fit. As it was, I left off the trim washer under the cylinder (the piece that goes against the cover on the outside) and found it was a workable solution. A bit tighter than the Vetter setup, but tight is good on old parts like these. Not bad for a $12 +/- solution.

Comment

Wondering if you can get multiple locks keyed the same. I have 4 different keys for my 78 goldwing and would gladly swap locks to get all with the same key.

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
          Wondering if you can get multiple locks keyed the same. I have 4 different keys for my 78 goldwing and would gladly swap locks to get all with the same key.
          Yes. These are listed below the ones I bought. From McMaster's website:
          Locks Open with the Same Key
          5/16" (short) 13105A75 $7.15
          5/8" (long) 13105A76 $7.15

A Type 304 stainless steel spring-action shutter blocks liquid and dry contaminants from entering the cylinder where they can cause internal damage. Key will engage the lock with a 180° turn to either the right or left. Cylinder is zinc. Cams are nickel-plated steel. Head diameter is 7/8".
          Locks come with two keys, a 2 3/4" Lg. × 5/8" Wd. straight cam (can be cut to size), two 1 5/16" Lg. × 5/8" Wd. offset reversible cams (7/8" offset and 1/4" offset), a cylinder nut, mounting screw with washer, and trim washer. Recommended for mounting in metal and fiberglass.

Comment

Working...
          X