Jacket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacket Advice

The jacket I have now is a pretty nice one and has done me good for both warm and cold weather (as long as I layer up as needed) here in Colorado. However, I think I'd like to look for a new one.

My accident last year had me thinking about chest protection. I know nothing is absolutely protective and if it's really that big of a deal, I could always buy one of those protective vests like I have for the kids. However, I saw these two AlpineStars jackets and wondered if anyone had any experience with them? Does anyone know of other brands that include this feature as I'm not seeing anything so far in my limited searching.

I'm not looking to buy until after my move nor am I set on this store but I'm still trying to gather some ideas.

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Just a warning: Alpinestars seems to think that everyone who SHOULD be wearing their gear looks like and is built like a male model. I bought one of their jackets on a good deal from an eBay close out distributor and after talking to these people on the phone we decided that their largest jacket would fit me. I think it was a 4XL!! You've seen me, ima big guy but not that damn big. Anyway, it didn't fit. Their sizing (and Icon as well) is rather goofy.

If you want REAL overall protection, buy a "flack jacket" type armor jacket that you'd likely use in motocross and pull the armor in your jacket out and wear that underneath.

Or buy a set of Bohn Armor under armor and wear that under whatever you want. It's like wicking stretch material ala UnderArmor or Nike Dri-tech or whatever with a complete armor system built in. Chest, back shoulders, forearms, elbows, hip, thigh, tailbone, knee and shin armor. And you can wear it under anything.

Comment

Oh, also, just as another option: along with having to buy a new helmet this season, I pretty much have to buy all new gear as I've lost enough weight nothing fits me correctly anymore, and that's almost as bad as having no gear at all.
      I've settled, when I do buy later this year, on a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket. It's an " all seasons" jacket with a textile shell that zips off completely to reveal a mesh jacket, and has both a separate quilted and wind-proof liner. The store you listed above has them at 233 bucks IIRC. Armored, and you can buy a better back AND chest protector elsewhere if you so desire. I am tired of having different jackets for different times of the year, and this should be the solution.

Comment

I bought the Alter Ego in 2005. I like being able to go to mesh when I want, but the waterproof lining has something to be desired. It is the inner-most layer, so in the rain your jacket will be soaked. It is good down to about 45-50 degrees. Lower than that and you will want more layers than just a long sleeve shirt and undershirt. Thermals would probably be best for that.
        The thing I disliked most about it was that it was too short for my long body. I lost the outer layer on the way back from Ohio, so I bought a Tourmaster Rincon long jacket ($99 shipped) to replace it. I will wear the Rincon for cooler weather (with a bright vest, the Rincon only comes in black) and keep the mesh part of the Alter Ego for warmer weather riding.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          I bought the Alter Ego in 2005. I like being able to go to mesh when I want, but the waterproof lining has something to be desired. It is the inner-most layer, so in the rain your jacket will be soaked. It is good down to about 45-50 degrees. Lower than that and you will want more layers than just a long sleeve shirt and undershirt. Thermals would probably be best for that.
          The thing I disliked most about it was that it was too short for my long body. I lost the outer layer on the way back from Ohio, so I bought a Tourmaster Rincon long jacket ($99 shipped) to replace it. I will wear the Rincon for cooler weather (with a bright vest, the Rincon only comes in black) and keep the mesh part of the Alter Ego for warmer weather riding.
          The Joe Rocket Ballistic 11.0 is a 3/4 jacket giving that extra length, especially on down the back. It's the jacket I want to buy next but I'll have to check out their inner layer like you said, need it to be warm as well. Good advice from everyone, thanks.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            The inside rain liner on my jacket also drains into the crotch. I'm a firm believer that the weather gear should go on over the armor, and overlap the waist by quite a lot.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dale, I think we have the same jacket and I was under the impression that what you are calling the rain liner is just a windbreaker.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                The Joe Rocket Ballistic 11.0 is a 3/4 jacket giving that extra length, especially on down the back. It's the jacket I want to buy next but I'll have to check out their inner layer like you said, need it to be warm as well. Good advice from everyone, thanks.
                Check out that Ricon also. I just went out and shoveled snow wearing it (29F, wind chill 19F). It was quite warm, and a lot less expensive than Joe Rocket stuff. It is also layered and waterproof, using an inner liner, with lots of pockets. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...on-Jacket.aspx
                For rain, though, it is hard to beat FroggToggs or their equivalent.

Comment

I'm still wearing my 1980 Brooks. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

Comment

Me too

I`m still wearing my 1980 Hein Gericke V Pilot. LOL Try Tourmaster or Cortech. The prices are a lot better than a lot of the other guys and offer most of the same features. Here`s a link to check out and you can also find a local dealer.
                    Helmet House is a leading distributor in the motorcycle and powersports industry. Proudly representing Shoei, HJC, Cortech, Tourmaster, Alpinestars, Sena, Pinlock and Molecule.

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                    I'm still wearing my 1980 Brooks. Maybe it's time to upgrade?
                    sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                    1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      Dale, I think we have the same jacket and I was under the impression that what you are calling the rain liner is just a windbreaker.
                      Nope, it is in fact impermeable to water. Water does run down the front of it just fine though. Perhaps we have slightly different models? I prefer proper rain gear, but it will do in a pinch. It's not like you don't have room to carry rain gear.

Where can I get one of those pizzas?
                      Last edited by Dogma; 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Motoport jackets probably have the best protection of any out there & incl chest protection... not cheap though.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Dan. I'll check them out. After a first look though, I wonder how good their claim to replace any crashed jacket holds up?
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            Where can I get one of those pizzas?
                            At a pizza place near Quantico in Maryland. They had to cut slots in the door jam to be able to take it through the door without turning it sideways. Myself and another guy at work went to the FBI Hostage Response Team's training facility to look at their vehicles for air tranportability and they took us out to lunch at that place. 4 of us ate on it and there was still half left over to take back to their office. And it tasted really good too. I bet you could put away a good portion of it yourself.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Thanks Dan. I'll check them out. After a first look though, I wonder how good their claim to replace any crashed jacket holds up?
                              Read it again.. they claim they will replace any gear that they can't repair. They'll charge you for the repair.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X