SealSkinz Waterproof Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SealSkinz Waterproof Socks

After discovering during an all day rain in the Ozarks last year that my new Roadgear boots are not completely waterproof I searched for a solution. While reading a book on dual sport riding I found out about SealSkinz waterproof socks. They had some excellent reviews so I bought a pair. I’m going on a dual sport trip this weekend which may include water crossings so I finally got around to testing the socks. I filled the bathtub to mid-calf height, put the socks on and submersed my feet in the water for five minutes. While my feet felt wet as you could feel the water around the socks after five minutes of submersion, I removed the socks and my feet were bone dry. I was impressed to say the least.

The socks are somewhat thick so you would need looser fitting boots to wear them comfortably. Also, it felt like my feet were getting a bit clammy so they probably don’t breathe as well as normal socks. My plan is to wear some lightweight breathable tech socks under the SealSkinz to improve comfort. I will update this thread after the trip if the conditions provide a decent test.

SealSkinz are available at a number of retailers like Bass Pro Shops and REI, as well as online at Amazon.com for around $35. Certainly not cheap for a pair of socks but worth every penny if it allows for all day comfort in wet conditions.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

P.S. After the previous test I realized I had not performed the test vs. a control so I repeated the test with a 'placebo' aka non-waterproof similar black sock. After the test the placebo foot was soaked and the SealSkinz foot was dry. I feel much better now that I have used sound testing methods to verify my results.....

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I used to use these regularly for mountain biking in the UK. They works as described, very good.
      Only thing to watch for is submersion in a stream above the top of the sock... at that point they become quite an effective water carrier...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Good luck with them, I hope they are better than their gloves.

Like you, I did a quick test and thought they were fine, as my hands came out dry. However, ...

A couple of years ago, I was riding home from Missississippippi. A lovely 60 degrees and a light misty rain for the first six hours, which got me to Bowling Green, KY. Stopped for gas, I considered stopping for the night because my hands were so COLD. They were cold because they were WET. The rest of me was doing just fine, due to my heated jacket liner and rain suit. After getting gas and not finding the motel I was told would be there, I changed gloves and headed for the next exit, about 10 miles away. By the time I got to that exit, my hands were warmed up inside dry gloves, so I continued toward home. Five hours later, I pulled into my garage, safe and warm.

I gave those gloves away to someone who thought they wanted them, I will not bother with another set of SealSkinz.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Why would a glove made for cycling be faulted for being mis-used on a motorcycle.

For my feet good heavy hand knit woolen socks over cotton work fine. Wet or dry. If you want to go nuts use a kitchen garbage bag for a boot liner.

Comment

Working...
          X