No announcement yet.

Cycle Recycle Part II - Parts, Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just in there yesterday. Angie (Rob's wife) greets me with a, "Hey Brett, whattaya lookin' for today?". When I tell her I need body parts, she says, "Ok, sounds like a Rob thing".

I sit on a barstool in front of the counter listening as Rob patiently explains to someone how to pull the rotor off their 1970something YamaHondaZukiSaki (which he's probably doing for the 4,000th time) using the MotionPro puller they just bought off him, and browsing the myriad of side covers and tailpieces hanging from the ceiling in case I see what I'm looking for.

The stuffed raccoon wearing sunglasses and holding a Red Bull in one paw and a smoke in the other is still nestled in amongst a bunch of gas tanks, watching the counter from a shelf above. Rob and his two boys who work there are still lighting up cigarettes as they talk to customers and run around grabbing parts and writing up tickets (they still use a manual credit card cha-chink thing with carbon paper too) for their sales.

So Rob gets done with the two or three people in there, then he and I talk about what I'm working on now, and as I'm carrying a helmet, asks me what I rode today. He comes outside to look at my GPZ, tells me he has an exhaust for it upstairs if I ever want to go back to stock, and then sells me two CB900F side covers for $40 total.

He then tells me to check in with him next week, somebody is supposed to be bringing in a GS1000 chain drive bike to part out. He doesn't know the year or if it's an E or not, but tells me if it's a '78 and the tank is nice he'll hold it for me and sell it to me for $150.

Before Angie started calling me Brett, he used to refer to me as "Mr. Suzuki". She told him that was rude and he needed to remember my name.

I like the joint.
    Last edited by Griffin; 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I've bought from them before, no complaints and pretty quick too.

This is the oldest thread I have seen, wow, 10 years!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Dang, it's hard to believe I started this thread over ten years ago!

And yeah, I'm still a regular down there. Although I change my own tires nowadays.

And despite a "redesign", their web site is still an eyesore.
        Yeah when I saw the date on this thing I ran right out and got a tetanus booster .

Z-1 seems to be the star these days, and I do use them for lots of things - great place. Between these two stores the bike is pretty well covered, and New Enough (or whatever it's called now) pretty much covers me and co-pilot.

And yeah, still an eyesore, and the Z-1 site isn't a lot better. lol
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I love old, grotty places like this. So great to feel like you can hang out, jabber, and just soak up the atmosphere.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
          X