Maxxis Hi-Max, a year on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxxis Hi-Max, a year on.

Can't get Shinkos here, so went for the nearest equivalent.
    Years ago, I had the misfortune to ride a bike with a Chen Shin tyre fitted on the rear. Oh boy, that was lethal. Honestly, it was the only bike I've ridden with a tyre that would slide and squirm in the dry heat of summer, on a decent road - and that was a Z650, a fairly unpowerful thing that really shouldn't have given a decent tyre a hard time. On the bright side, it just didn't wear out - it was as slippy as nylon and as hard-wearing as iron. I'm only glad it never had a CS on the front, too.
    So, when I ordered a pair of Maxxis Hi-Max tyres and was supplied with a pair of Chen Shins, C906 front and C907 rear, I wasn't very happy about it. However, I decided to give them a whirl because I'd heard CS had improved a lot.
    They certainly have - that was over a year ago and the tyres have been through a summer, a winter and now another summer halfway through and the rear is nearly gone at 7000-ish miles of less than careful cornering and gassing it around the country back roads. The front is barely worn, so CS have managed to produce a front that grips well in the wet and cold and still wears great. This is on the '80 GS850, so front end weight might help to keep it planted, but if that were the case, I'd expect it to wear more. Whatever, CS have pulled off a good balancing act with this tyre and I'll definitely buy another C906. What helps even the wear out is the nature of the riding I do, a lot of left-right action, and very little straight-line mileage, so it's getting the most out of the tyre. It used to bug me a bit when my tyres just wore out in the middle, with plenty of tread on the sides.
    The C907 rear had been absolutely excellent, too.
    What I found (on my bike anyway) was the tyre pressure sweet spot - my combination of weight, running conditions, suspension and etc, etc, really hit it right with 32psi front and rear. Set at that, the lardy old barge could be hustled around the twisties like it was young again.
    So, it's true - CS aren't as bad as they used to be, and that's likely why they had to re-market themselves as Maxxis to get away from the dreadful reputation they'd acquired.
    Last edited by Grimly; 06-17-2014, 06:53 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I had a surprisingly good experience with those too. Its funny how the front copies the Metzler, but the tread is slanted in the opposite direction. Maxxis is Cheng Shin, of course.

They say Maxxis on them now, but it is the same tire. I ran C906/C907s on a GS1000 for a couple years. I changed them out for a premium quality tire when they were half worn out, but they were good tires. Equal or better than Bridgstone Spitfires at least. A cut below BT45s or the Avons.

Last edited by 850 Combat; 07-07-2014, 04:16 PM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

We had a set of Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires on my wife's bike for a while. She is NOT an agressive rider at all, and we got over 15,000 miles out of the set, with no apparent change in handling over the entire life of the tire.

I was set to get another pair, but found that Cheng Shin was no longer making street tires. I was not aware that they were going to re-emerge as "Maxxis".

I would gladly get another set for any of my GSes, but am currently happy with the Shinko 230 Tour Masters.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was looking at them for the 450, wondering if the Maxxis Hi Max was the same as a Cheng Shin Hi Max, but didn't find anyone in the US that sells them.

Are they available here?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

my 1100 kwacker has a pair and i couldn't believe how well it road.. slow/fast/all around.
          i tried to do a burn out from a couple mph and the damn thing shot towards the sky.
          who would have thunk it?

Comment

I used to run HiMax (ChengShin) on my 750E and was pleased with them. They were nothing like the earlier ChengShins (which I avoided like the plague).
            Last edited by earlfor; 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I was looking at them for the 450, wondering if the Maxxis Hi Max was the same as a Cheng Shin Hi Max, but didn't find anyone in the US that sells them.

Are they available here?
              They are the same company

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Oddly, anyone looking at their site would think they'd stopped making motorcycle street rubber altogether, as there's no mention of it.

For some reason, they're not offering it in the U.S. market, but it's available elsewhere. Perhaps they decided to leave the budget end to Shinko in the U.S.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Update to the first post - I've put barely another 2000 miles on since then, making a total of 9K before I just had to change it at 1mm tread remaining. It's being acting like an old worn tyre for the past 500 miles, so that's not too bad, really. I'd seriously expected it to play much worse, but my back-road antics kept the tread from squaring off very much. The tread wear, while mostly central, still showed a lot to the sides and helped maintain a reasonable profile.
                  So, 9000 miles on it till worn out and many of those weren't being kind to it.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

Thumpin' Thread Rez, Batman! I missed this one the first time around. I ran Maxxis ProMaxx tires until they became unavailable. They were solid tires despite the horrible reputation that Cheng $hit had 20 years ago. The Maxxis line was new when I tried them, but they had some pretty good reviews and they did not let me down. I did think they retreated back to the dirt market exclusively when I looked for them the last time. I tried Duro on a recommendation from the shop I used to have them mounted, but I was not impressed, they were a little unsettling at a brisk pace. I wouldn't call myself aggressive, but I can get a little enthusiastic. I tried a 'Mr. Steve Seal of Approval' Shinko on the back this time, and I'm completely happy so far. I do still have the Duro on the front, but that tire doesn't give me any, ah, guff.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Ah; I have a Duro lined up for the front when the CS/ Maxxis turns its toes up, so good to know it wouldn't be too bad. It's there as a stand-by, but if it acquits itself well, I'll keep it on.
                      ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                        Thumpin' Thread Rez, Batman! I missed this one the first time around. I ran Maxxis ProMaxx tires until they became unavailable. They were solid tires despite the horrible reputation that Cheng $hit had 20 years ago. The Maxxis line was new when I tried them, but they had some pretty good reviews and they did not let me down. I did think they retreated back to the dirt market exclusively when I looked for them the last time. I tried Duro on a recommendation from the shop I used to have them mounted, but I was not impressed, they were a little unsettling at a brisk pace. I wouldn't call myself aggressive, but I can get a little enthusiastic. I tried a 'Mr. Steve Seal of Approval' Shinko on the back this time, and I'm completely happy so far. I do still have the Duro on the front, but that tire doesn't give me any, ah, guff.
                        Guff?

Talk about resurrecting demons from the past.....

I like Shinkos for touring type bikes or smaller (under 750cc) stuff. I used to use the Cheng Shin Hi-Max as well when they were still available, they were OK for similar riding.

For seriously mean riding, give me Michelin Pilot Activs or Avon Road Riders. Both of those tires are newer designs with newer compounds than most of the stuff still made for our bikes.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                        X