Bikemaster battery caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikemaster battery caution

I replaced the battery in my Bandit on August 10 with a Bikemaster AGM battery. I came out this morning and the battery was dead as a door nail. It registered 12.7 volts with a multimeter, but a load test showed no amperage capability at all, just instantly went to zero. The Bandit has an automotive alternator and it monitors and charges very accurately, so it was not do to an overcharging system and the system is very easy on batteries. I usually get 3 to 4 years from a battery.
    The Bikemaster lasted 6 months before becoming a door stop. I will not be buying another one.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Interstate is my go to for batteries.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Of the various brands of batteries I’ve had in recent years, the worst results were with the BikeMaster TruGel.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        I replaced the battery in my Bandit on August 10 with a Bikemaster AGM battery. I came out this morning and the battery was dead as a door nail. It registered 12.7 volts with a multimeter, but a load test showed no amperage capability at all, just instantly went to zero. The Bandit has an automotive alternator and it monitors and charges very accurately, so it was not do to an overcharging system and the system is very easy on batteries. I usually get 3 to 4 years from a battery.
        The Bikemaster lasted 6 months before becoming a door stop. I will not be buying another one.
        I curious as to where you bought your battery? Did you get it from as store that had it on their shelf already activated or was it one you filled yourself. The reason I ask is I've seen batteries on shelves at auto parts stores that have been there for almost a year.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          I curious as to where you bought your battery? Did you get it from as store that had it on their shelf already activated or was it one you filled yourself. The reason I ask is I've seen batteries on shelves at auto parts stores that have been there for almost a year.
          The battery was AGM, a sealed battery. I bought it at the local powersports dealership Honda/Suzuki, Kawasaki/CanAm.

Come to remember, I bought a Bikemaster chain a few years ago and it was seizing links and stretched beyond pitch in a couple of thousand miles also. Never bought another of their chains either. Bike master is bottom of the barrel and not worth much from my experiences.
          Last edited by earlfor; 02-17-2018, 02:26 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            The best batteries I have found, I bought online from West Coast Battery. Those AGM's have all still been going strong at 3+ years. I don't know how long they could ultimately last because around 3 1/2 to 4 years, I've replaced they as normal preventive maintenance. They aren't cheap though. heh

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Interstate is just a remarketer that sells batteries from Exide and Johnson Controls. Same stuff you get at the corner auto parts in a green case. Johnson makes about 100 battery brands including Diehard and Optima. http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#J

I have had good luck with the East Penn brand batteries (Deka, Big Crank, Duralast Gold) http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#e
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I replaced an AGM battery last summer that was installed in the bike in 2005. 12 years and it was still cranking just fine. It just showed weakness when put under a load test.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The battery was AGM, a sealed battery. I bought it at the local powersports dealership Honda/Suzuki, Kawasaki/CanAm.

Come to remember, I bought a Bikemaster chain a few years ago and it was seizing links and stretched beyond pitch in a couple of thousand miles also. Never bought another of their chains either. Bike master is bottom of the barrel and not worth much from my experiences.
                  Earl, AGM batteries still get filled. I do it all the time at work. Once it's filled you let it breath for about an hour just like regular lead acid batteries, but once you seal it, that's all she wrote. It actually already has built a charge while absorbing the acid, but it is still recommended to pre-charge it fully before use. You can get them on ebay and it comes with a acid pack. That's the only way I do batteries now. I know when the fill date is and wont be purchasing one that has part of it's life already gone.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

My duracell AGM is still good...will be truly confirmed come spring[lol].
                    What was the chain tensile strength that you got?...I've always went well over oem tensile specs and they've lasted a decent time.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                      My duracell AGM is still good...will be truly confirmed come spring[lol].
                      What was the chain tensile strength that you got?...I've always went well over oem tensile specs and they've lasted a decent time.
                      It has been a few years and I don't remember the rating on that specific chain, but I don't put any chain on the Bandit with less than 10k pound tensile rating, so it would have been in that range for me to buy it. I normally use EK-ZVX2 chains http://www.moto-chains.com/site/898528/product/ek530zvx and get 35K + miles from one, but they ain't cheap. heh

Comment

I've I used and abused the Trugels in my XTs for several years now and they are still fine.
                        2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
                        1995 Yamaha XT225
                        2007 Yamaha XT225
                        1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

My Duracell AGM is going on 4 years old, not a single day's problem. Oh and Yusua makes the Duracell.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Coming up on 7 years .......... Motobatt.

Comment

Working...
                            X