No announcement yet.

The perfect tool for removing stuck,stripped screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my intake boot bolts did that afte 20 year or so in place. I was able to use a chisel to form a flat slot in the screw, then loosened it by a metal hammer and a lrge flat bade screwdriver to turn it around from the side. It loosened so that I could use a flat screwdriver to undo it.

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
      god damn mother #### piece of #### mother ####! the #### screws on my intake boots are giving me a migraine. Once I pick this thing up, it better work, or im going to snap!
      MINE ARE STRIPPED TOO! ARGH, LOOKING FOR A GRABIT NOW.

Comment

You guys should be thanking your lucky stars is not a case bolt, becasue that's what I snapped last night. Damn cases have to be split now!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          You guys should be thanking your lucky stars is not a case bolt, becasue that's what I snapped last night. Damn cases have to be split now!
          Please tell me it was on the 81 Jethro 8O 8O :? :?
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Grab-It!

the grabit is also available at Lowe's, i work there, and almost every day i use the grabit for fun and to help out customers, only 9.99 at lowe's...take an 18v dewalt set on low, put the bit on burnishing side first, spin that in 1/16 in, then place other side and voila, one removed screw and very happy customer....

Comment

god damn mother #### piece of #### mother ####! the #### screws on my intake boots are giving me a migraine. Once I pick this thing up, it better work, or im going to snap!

You may already know this but if you can get one side or the other out you can then grab the intake boot and twist it and the other bolt will usually break free.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                Originally posted by Michael Falke
                Dang it Don, what have you "screwed" up now??? 8O
                Look familiar?

Yes. Very, very familiar.

I replaced my Stator screws with metric Torx head screws available at my local GM plant by the million (I call on one regularly).

People bitched about Torx when they came out, but once you have a screwdriver set, dealing with them is no different than any other screw.

Except they don't strip their heads.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I wish I had one of those Grabbits last weekend when I was trying to get my fairing off B.B. The top mounting screw was locked in tight. I don't know what was used for lock-tight but it was tough. I could turn the screw 1/4 turn and that was it. I tried tuning it back and forth to break the lock-tight with no luck. I ended up stripping the head of the screw. In the end I just drilled the screw out very carefully as not to get any shavings on the paint. Then drilled and tapped it out for a 1/4-20, since I have lots of 1/4-20 Stainless screws around.

Comment

allways use a impact screwdriver when undoing screws it saves all that mess

Comment

BoltsRUs

Originally posted by dpep
                      While we are on the subject, where is a good place to get those little fine thread stainless steel metric screws that hold down the stator and stator wire? I have found the right sizes at the hardware store but they are aluminum. I know I can order them as parts off of a fiche, but they would run me considerably more than the 30 cents apiece I would have paid at the hardware store.
                      Bought the Grabit, this thing works. Worth twice the price.

I have found that the Bolt Depot has a good selection of metric items.

Comment

Heat the bolt up nice and hot with a heat gun.

Melt a candle into the threads, allowing it to wick in to the threads.

Ogle at how easy that bolt is to unscrew now.

Comment

Working...
                        X